Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

24 hours in Downtown Orlando. What to do?

Old Nov 20, 16, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

I'm on a MR through MCO this upcoming Wednesday, and as I originally hail from LA, I wanted to avoid the whole Disney getup and explore downtown Orlando. Any suggestions on things to do to get a taste of local life? I found an airbnb right by Lake Eola and will be working from there.
Old Nov 20, 16, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd rent a car and explore rather than focusing on downtown.

There's Gatorland, a sort of zoo for alligators and crocs.

Cape Kennedy space center.

Do a canal boat tour in a neighboring town.
Old Nov 21, 16, 7:50 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
As MSPEconomist suggested, downtown is small and there is not a lot to do.

There is some nightlife there, I'm not too familiar with it, but my daughter and her friends go to Wall Street occasionally to drink, dance, and be merry. That's in easy walking distance to Lake Eola. There's a Magic game at the Arena if you want to see a team that's in a perpetual rebuilding phase. The Orange County Regional History Museum ($8) is nearby if you want to learn a little about the history of the area. There's a nice walkway around Lake Eola if you want to take a walk (or run), it's about a mile for the loop. Downtown and the area around Lake Eola are generally safe although you will see some homeless people hanging out. I would avoid crossing to the west side of the interstate (except for the arena), especially after dark.

Search this Thread