Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Interline connection at MSY from WN to UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold

Hi,

Don't know which forum to write on since it involves both UA and WN. I am doing a connection at MSY, flying in on WN and flying out on UA with only :50. Do I need to re-enter security for those who know the layout of MSY? thanks.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
WN does not interline with anyone. You will need to collect your bag and re-check it with UA. Good luck!

Per Expertflyer

Interline Agreements:

E-Ticket Interline Agreements: Airline WN does not have any E-Ticket Interline agreements.

Paper Ticket and Baggage Interline Agreements:

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
WN

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
WN
Old May 31, 2016, 9:09 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
eddie1973, let me move this to the USA South travel forum, where connections at MSY have been discussed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:10 pm

You are not going to make that connection unless you get very lucky. You'll come into terminal B and need to exit security, run over to terminal D (about a 10 minute hustle from southwest gates to D), reclear security, then find your gate. Unless your flight gets into MSY early or your United flight is delayed, I'd put this at a 5% chance of going well.

I guess if you see the security line is long while on your run over you could go to the United counters and have them rebook you there, suggesting you won't make your flight due to security
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'll agree that if you have checked bags, it's pretty much hopeless. Or if your Southwest flight is delayed. With carry-ons and an on time inbound, you have a chance.

United cuts off boarding at T-15, so a 50 minute connection means you have 35 minutes to get there. If it's 5 minutes to get off the plane and then a 10 minute walk, you'd have 20 minutes to get through security. So it's heavily dependent on wait times. TSA Pre Check will obviously help. I'd try checking http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/wait_times_detail.aspx each day around the time of day you're connecting to get an idea of typical waits.

It's not a connection I would book, but if it's already ticketed, maybe give it a shot.

Edit to add: Consider paying for Southwest's Early Bird check in; a low boarding number increases your chances of getting a seat and overhead space near the front of the plane, for getting off quicker.

Last edited by swag; Jun 1, 2016 at 5:31 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:08 am

If you're checking bags, I give no more than a 1% chance of making the UA flight. What time of the day are you arriving at MSY? If it's after 7:00 PM, I might increase your odds very slightly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.