Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Why is Atlanta booked out for start of Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Looking to book one night stoppover in Atlanta on 3rd September, and practically every hotel is sold out! Its free either side of the weekend. I had a quick google, but couldnt work out what is going on? Most importantly I'm hoping that any such event isnt going to end up block-booking out World of Coca-Cola!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:20 am

Could be Dragoncon, it's a huge convention that happens that weekend every year. For 2016, it's Sep 2-5 (www.dragoncon.org) I don't think the World of Coke or any of the nearby attractions like the Aquarium will be booked out, but it will be crowded. I work in downtown Atlanta and a lot of us leave the office early or work from home that week to avoid the traffic, it's packed. The main convention area for Dragoncon is only a few blocks from Centennial Park and the World of Coke so I'd expect crowds.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Eek, typical I pick the one weekend 9 months in advance that its going to be packed! I've managed to find space at the W hotel, which is walking distance of WoCC, so wont worry about traffic for that.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:33 am

You should be fine then as everything is very walkable in the area. There may be some crowds but I don't think anything would fill up and be closed. Just be prepared to see lots and lots of interesting costumes.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:13 pm

DragonCon is HUGE. I'm actually surprised you were able to get a room. Most people I know book as soon as rooms are released the year before. There is a parade and the streets will be packed at night with people in costumes.

There is also a college football season kick-off game that has been on Labor Day weekend the past few years. It's held at the Dome.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I lived in Atlanta from 2001 to 2012.

Labor Day weekend usually included multiple football games (Georgia Tech, Georgia State more recently, Chic-Fil-A Kickoff Classic, Atlanta Falcons), Braves' games, Music Midtown, and occasionally a pride festival. It was easily the biggest weekend of the year in Atlanta and downtown and midtown are usually packed.

As others have noted, DragonCon is huge, too.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aww3583
I lived in Atlanta from 2001 to 2012.

As others have noted, DragonCon is huge, too.
I'm thinking that this might be an accidental score for us then? Might be a bit of hassle with hotel checkin times, but other than that it'd probably quite fun to see a load of people walking around in costume!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.