Wiki Posts
Search

New MSY-based carrier: Glo Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
New MSY-based carrier: Glo Airlines

Glo Airlines starts flights Nov. 15 with multiple daily flights MSY-MEM, MSY-LIT and MSY-SHV on Saab 340's.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/...egion/35556516

I'd guess that MSY-MEM was served in the past by NWA and others. I'm pretty sure that MSY-SHV used to be served by US Airways many years ago. Not sure about MSY-LIT. Anyhow, this new service is aimed at business travelers who would normally have to connect through ATL or IAH.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Good to see the Crescent City getting some new regional air service....and I hope it works.

Back in the 1970's, Delta and Southern both operated MSY-MEM nonstops, DL with B727-200s and DC-9-30s, and SO with DC-9-10s. The Southern service then became Republic followed by Northwest via a hub in Memphis respectively operated by all three carriers. And at one point, I seem to recall that Delta was actually operating an L-1011 wide body between MEM and MSY.

At this same time, Delta was operating nonstops MSY-SHV with B727-200s and DC-9-30s. The original Braniff International flew MSY-SHV nonstop as well with BAC One-Elevens followed by B727-100s and -200s.

By the early 1980's, Northeastern International was flying MSY-LIT nonstop service with a 727 back when this new start-up carrier was operating a small hub in New Orleans. Other than that, Delta occasionally operated one stop service with a DC-9-30 between MSY and LIT.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It's marketed for day trips but only from the New Orleans area. The other direction, you would basically get to New Orleans and have to turn directly back. Might be decent for a weekend trip, except that price wise, from LIT at least, Southwest is much cheaper, even with the DAL connection. As much as I want this to work, most of the LIT market, at least, is swayed solely by price - considering the fact that I know people that will drive the 5.5 hours to DFW just to save $99 on their flights.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Yeah, I think they're trying to save on expenses by not having their aircraft/crews on the ground overnight in the outlying cities. But yeah, from a place like SHV, you really need a first-thing in the morning flight to MSY to make day trips work. I suspect there aren't that many MSY-based travelers itching to go to SHV for the day, but there would be many more in the opposite direction.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:05 am
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
I need to make a roundtrip from MSY to SHV on an upcoming weekend after their service starts on Dec 14th. The cheapest flight RT is $459.XX. I can almost understand that sort of pricing during the week for BT. There's no way they'll fill the flights on the weekends with that sort of pricing. Honestly for two of us to fly, I'd rather just spend the 5hrs in the car and save almost a 1000 dollars.

Hope they adjust their pricing model as they start to figure out what sort of traffic they actually have on the routes.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:53 am

GLO is now running a $99 each way sale on all routes. Bookings were pretty low at first, so this should help fill seats.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:53 pm

Promo code?

Does anyone know anything about the promo code option? I assume those are emailed out to people who have previously flown with GLO? I am thinking about a last minute trip from MSY to SHV this weekend and RT would be about $300, which isn't bad, but driving would probably be about $100.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:33 pm

I don't know about any promo codes, but according to their Facebook page, they have a sale going on today:

"FLASH SALE - Today, Monday 5.23 ONE DAY ONLY! $75 fare one way to/from New Orleans & Destin/Ft. Walton Beach. (book by midnight 5.23.16 limited seats, non-refundable/changeable)"
Old May 31, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I'd love to see something like this start up in San Diego to Plam Springs and other day trip worth spots.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Madone59
I'd love to see something like this start up in San Diego to Plam Springs and other day trip worth spots.
Once upon a time, there was nonstop service between SAN and PSP: Sun Aire Lines followed by SkyWest operated Swearingen Metro commuter propjets on the route from the late 70's into the 80's. And Air Bahia, a very small SoCal based commuter airline, operated nonstop between Carlsbad/Palomar and PSP with Piper twin prop aircraft.

Plus, there was even nonstop jet service between San Diego and Palm Springs back in the day operated by the original Frontier with B737-200s in 1985 and then USAir with B737-300s in 1989.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:00 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Happy to see the service but it doesn't offer much for a miles/points angle. And they're not in the GDS so it kills buying at a discount via bank points.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:34 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'm not a fan of charters but they gave the offer I couldn't refuse. $30 r/t on low yield days systemwide. Going to do an overnight trip to LIT next month.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
GLO to suspend service

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...f5b33ebc3.html
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
And another independent commuter air carrier bites the dust. I'll be surprised if the operation is resurrected.

A very tough business, to be sure. I worked for three commuter air carriers in the past (two in California and one in Hawaii) and they all failed.

It appears the only way to survive is to operate code sharing flights for a major air carrier or two (or three). Witness SkyWest which started out as a very small independent commuter airline operating small Piper prop equipment in Utah.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I was hopeful Glo would keep at it. I was actually going to try them for a trip in September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.