Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Where to stay after conference

Old Aug 18, 15, 9:51 am
Original Poster

I will be attending a conference in Orlando Sept 16-19 and will be staying at Disney Swan and Dolphin resort. Once conference ends I have decided to stay an extra 2 days and visit the parks but I dont want to pay the price for S & D for the extra nights. Can anyone recommend a decent place for me to stay for the 2 nights. Also, my sis will be coming to Orlando with me but will not be attending the conference-so during the day when I will be attending the conference she will be visiting friends and doing a little touring. I just read parking is $18/day-this is ridiculous-any other option -park outside the park?
Old Aug 18, 15, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
It might be the same price or more expensive, but I found the Orlando World Center Marriott which is near by to be a very nice place.

A little farther away and probably a little cheaper is the Caribe Royale Orlando. It's been a number of years since I stayed there but I recall it was nice as well.

Since I live in this area, I'm sure the number of nights I've spent in Disney area hotels is much less than some others on this board. I've got some experience with the hotels at the MCO airport but will assume that is too far away for your needs.
Old Aug 18, 15, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edweird View Post
It might be the same price or more expensive, but I found the Orlando World Center Marriott which is near by to be a very nice place.

A little farther away and probably a little cheaper is the Caribe Royale Orlando. It's been a number of years since I stayed there but I recall it was nice as well.

Since I live in this area, I'm sure the number of nights I've spent in Disney area hotels is much less than some others on this board. I've got some experience with the hotels at the MCO airport but will assume that is too far away for your needs.
thanks for your reply. I dont mind Marriot-was actually thinking about applying for their credit card.
Old Aug 19, 15, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Southwest RR, HHonors, Hertz Gold
Check Groupon or Livingsocial. Occasionally, I have seen hotels near Downtown Disney that you can ride Disney buses from but aren't specifically Disney hotels. Think theres a Hilton, Holiday Inn, Wyndam, etc. Also, the Omni at Champions Gate is a nice resort a little further south of Disney.
Old Aug 19, 15, 9:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
The problem with that is I don't think the Downtown Disney buses go to/from the parks. They go to/from the Disney hotels. Thus someone would have to wait for one of the hotel buses, ride to that hotel, then wait for a Disney bus at the hotel to take them to the parks. I do know the Hilton right across the street from Downtown Disney has shuttles to the parks arriving every 30 minutes. So that is probably a quicker option.
Old Aug 19, 15, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Southwest RR, HHonors, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
The problem with that is I don't think the Downtown Disney buses go to/from the parks. They go to/from the Disney hotels. Thus someone would have to wait for one of the hotel buses, ride to that hotel, then wait for a Disney bus at the hotel to take them to the parks. I do know the Hilton right across the street from Downtown Disney has shuttles to the parks arriving every 30 minutes. So that is probably a quicker option.
I stayed at the Lake Buena Vista (http://www.buenavistapalace.com/amenities-en.htm) a year or so ago and one of the Disney-branded buses took us directly to Epcot and was there at closing to pick us and everyone else up. The same bus also stops at the Wyndham and another hotel on the route. Based off their website, it still says they have the Disney shuttles. Was pretty nice hotel. Convenient. Even somehow got 500 Hilton points for staying there.

From what I've also heard, the Disney buses stopped going from Downtown Disney to the parks because people were not paying for parking. Just my two cents
Old Aug 19, 15, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I liked the Peabody, but I understand that their ducks are gone.

There's a Sheraton Safari that has a whole building of suites, so that elites are likely to get one, although they're not wonderful.

If you'll have a car, I would head out of the Orlando area. You might want a hotel closer to Cape Kennedy if you plan to go there or you could aim for one of the pretty small towns with canals (and do the cruise tour through the waterways).
Old Aug 19, 15, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you don't mind being near the airport, the La Quinta is a pleasant and less expensive option. I stayed there many times when coming out for launches. Here's a 20% promo code.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...la-quinta.html
Old Aug 19, 15, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I liked the Peabody, but I understand that their ducks are gone.

There's a Sheraton Safari that has a whole building of suites, so that elites are likely to get one, although they're not wonderful.

If you'll have a car, I would head out of the Orlando area. You might want a hotel closer to Cape Kennedy if you plan to go there or you could aim for one of the pretty small towns with canals (and do the cruise tour through the waterways).
This property has been completely renovated and renamed. It is now the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort. The suite building has outdoor entries and the outside is not the nicest. But the inside has been completely redone, as has the pool area and the restaurant.
Not a bad choice, as they do have Disney shuttles. But they do have a resort fee as well that does include parking. Just checked, it is $19.95.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=1162

Last edited by pbiflyer; Aug 19, 15 at 8:45 pm Reason: Update the price of the resort fee
Old Aug 21, 15, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
The problem with that is I don't think the Downtown Disney buses go to/from the parks. They go to/from the Disney hotels. Thus someone would have to wait for one of the hotel buses, ride to that hotel, then wait for a Disney bus at the hotel to take them to the parks.
This statement from hhoope01 is correct. Disney motor coaches that pick-up/drop-off at Disney Springs (aka Downtown Disney) only serve Disney Resorts.

There are hotels that are located on next to Disney Springs. These 7 Downtown Disney hotels all have continuous transportation to the Disney theme parks. Buses depart every 30 minutes staring one hour prior to regular park hours until 90 minutes past regular closing hours.

There are two routes. The "A" buses serve the Hilton Lake Buena Vista, Holiday Inn, B Hotel, and DoubleTree Suites. The "B" buses serve the Best Western Lake Buena Vista, Wyndham Resort, and Buena Vista Palace.

Pick-up/drop-off for multiple hotels is fairly quick. I'm actually staying at the Hilton right now. It only takes 3-4 minutes per stop and the hotels are all next to each other.

The downside of the Downtown Disney hotels transportation is that the buses go to two parks. One bus route to Magic Kingdom, then to Disney's Animal Kingdom. The other bus route goes to Epcot, then to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

The Downtown Disney hotels website almost always lists all the current promotions: http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/

Last edited by writerguyfl; Aug 21, 15 at 10:37 pm Reason: Fixed incorrect information.
Old Aug 21, 15, 8:23 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
This information is 100% false.
If you get on a Disney bus leaving from Downtown Disney, you will NOT be able to get directly to one of the 4 Disney parks. Disney buses to NOT go directly from Downtown Disney to the parks.

The hotels you mention (and I mention as well just a few sentences past where you stopped quoting) do have buses to the parks (I do believe I state specially the Hilton there does have buses going to/from the parks.) But again, no official Disney bus goes directly to the parks any longer. And I do believe the reason is even mentioned by someone in a follow-up post in that people were trying to use the Downtown Disney area free parking as a means to get around paying the normal Disney parking charges. So they stopped the buses going directly from Downtown Disney to/from the parks.
Old Aug 21, 15, 10:33 pm

I guess I didn't read your comment correctly. I thought you were talking about the Downtown Disney hotels (because you mentioned the Hilton).

You are correct that the Disney motor coaches to/from Disney Springs (the new name for the Downtown Disney shopping area) only go to Disney Resorts.

But, the information I provided about the seven hotels listed is also correct.
Old Aug 23, 15, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
There's also the Hilton at Bonnet Creek which has dedicated shuttle to the parks and technically sits on the Disney site. Rates from $119 plus $25 resort fee for those dates.
Old Aug 24, 15, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
There's also the Hilton at Bonnet Creek which has dedicated shuttle to the parks and technically sits on the Disney site. Rates from $119 plus $25 resort fee for those dates.
And it is a really nice hotel and pool area. We used it once. The buses were actually more timely than some of the Disney resort hotels.
Old Aug 25, 15, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Mid September is actually dirt cheap in Orlando and there are literally hundreds of options that offer shuttle service that can be had for under $100/night.

One thing to note, if you stay at a Disney property you can park at the theme parks for free. IMHO, $17/day isn't a bad deal in order to have your freedom to go where you want, when you want.

Just a heads up, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party begins that week and the Magic Kingdom will close at 7pm 2 days unless you purchase the separate admission to the party.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: