FLL to MIA

Old Jul 6, 15, 11:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 771
FLL to MIA

we have about 6 hours lay over when on our way to STT. we get into FLL then depart out of MIA. This is from 11 am to 5 pm. Any good ideas to site see for a few hours ? and best route to MIA?

just wanted to some thoughts if its worth going some where , eating lunch and head to MIA or should we just shoot to MIA from FLL straight via rail and call it an afternoon !

Thanks,
jordandawg05 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 15, 10:32 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,367
You could head downtown FLL or the beach at FLL. There is public transportation from FLL.

I assume you are going to use Tri-Rail which from the shuttle at FLL to the final station at MIA will take you about 45-55 minutes. There isn't really much between MIA and FLL. You could do a one day car rental (Hotwire or Priceline) to drive to downtown FLL or the beach. If you are talking this summer its going to be very hot & sweaty. On the other end, you could rent a car and head to Southbeach from MIA. Or maybe cab it to downtown Coral Gables for a meal-its about a 10 minute drive without traffic from MIA.
newyorkgeorge is offline  
Old Jul 9, 15, 11:45 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 771
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
You could head downtown FLL or the beach at FLL. There is public transportation from FLL.

I assume you are going to use Tri-Rail which from the shuttle at FLL to the final station at MIA will take you about 45-55 minutes. There isn't really much between MIA and FLL. You could do a one day car rental (Hotwire or Priceline) to drive to downtown FLL or the beach. If you are talking this summer its going to be very hot & sweaty. On the other end, you could rent a car and head to Southbeach from MIA. Or maybe cab it to downtown Coral Gables for a meal-its about a 10 minute drive without traffic from MIA.
actually heading there next week ! but i am used to the hot and humid weather, we are coming from Houston. i looked at coral gables as you mentioned and that might a nice little option. you think it'll be more economical to take the tri rail to MIA and cab it to coral gables ?
jordandawg05 is offline  
Old Jul 9, 15, 5:21 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: FLL -> Where The Boyars Are
Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Posts: 18,669
The seeming-leisurely transfer is complicated by the logistics:

1. You left out what day of the week your transit will take place. Tri-Rail is a commuter system, not urban transit with service every few minutes. Southbound trains run every hour on weekday mid-days, less frequently on weekends

2. Tri-Rail, which runs on leased freight tracks (CSX) that are NOT adjacent to the airport terminals, has a station serving the airport area - but it is over 2 miles from the airport terminals and is reached by no-charge shuttle bus.

3. If you arrive in time for the 11:20 am shuttle, you will be transported in time to buy your tickets and then catch the 12:17 southbound to MIA's Intermodal Center, arriving there at 13:00.

4. You then need to walk to the MIA people mover to get into the airport proper (more walking) and then down to the Departures level of whichever airline you are taking.

5. Once your bags are checked (and verify with your airline how early bags can be checked) you can then determine how much time remains. Keep in mind to you need to allot time to clear security, etc.

I'm moderately risk-averse and I wouldn't want to hassle cabs, etc for a rushed meal - I'd just get airside and find a place to eat there. YMMV, of course.
Non-NonRev is offline  
Old Jul 9, 15, 11:21 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 771
1. You left out what day of the week your transit will take place. Tri-Rail is a commuter system, not urban transit with service every few minutes. Southbound trains run every hour on weekday mid-days, less frequently on weekends
we'll be there during the week on Thursday

2. Tri-Rail, which runs on leased freight tracks (CSX) that are NOT adjacent to the airport terminals, has a station serving the airport area - but it is over 2 miles from the airport terminals and is reached by no-charge shuttle bus.
that's right, I actually have another thread detailing route from FLL to MIA via the rail . thanks for the confirmation on this thought !

3. If you arrive in time for the 11:20 am shuttle, you will be transported in time to buy your tickets and then catch the 12:17 southbound to MIA's Intermodal Center, arriving there at 13:00.
good point , according to my tracker, ETA in FLL is 1050 central so its possible we can catch the 1120 shuttle. if we miss it, we will have to wait for the next one at 1220?

4. You then need to walk to the MIA people mover to get into the airport proper (more walking) and then down to the Departures level of whichever airline you are taking.

5. Once your bags are checked (and verify with your airline how early bags can be checked) you can then determine how much time remains. Keep in mind to you need to allot time to clear security, etc.
good point, my next flight leaves at 7 pm so I hope I can have my bag checked in earlier in the afternoon around 1. if not its OK, we are only taking one checked in bag. I guess once we arrive in MIA I can evaluate status again and see how much time I have left and see. very good point

I'm moderately risk-averse and I wouldn't want to hassle cabs, etc for a rushed meal - I'd just get airside and find a place to eat there. YMMV, of course.

Yeah at this point, I am just throwing ideas out for a long layover. Mrs. JordanDawg05 is pregnant a few months so she may not want to walk a lot just for a meal and being 'rushed'

I do have another question concerning MIA - I got lounge club membership which I think gets me to two lounges in MIA one in terminal F and one in J but I think our flight is out of D since its on American Airlines. I also have united club one day passes. which one is best out of those three lounges? I would have to check if I am able to use the united one since I don't have a boarding pass on united.

thanks !
jordandawg05 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 15, 7:29 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: FLL -> Where The Boyars Are
Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Posts: 18,669
Originally Posted by jordandawg05 View Post
I do have another question concerning MIA - I got lounge club membership which I think gets me to two lounges in MIA one in terminal F and one in J but I think our flight is out of D since its on American Airlines. I also have united club one day passes. which one is best out of those three lounges? I would have to check if I am able to use the united one since I don't have a boarding pass on united.
AA will be out of the North Terminal (Concourses D and E), while Concourses F through J comprise the South Terminal - unfortunately, there is no airside connection between the concourses in North and South.

Your only hope would be to ask TSA if they would allow you to use your AA boarding passes to access the South Terminal lounge location you desire (extra walking as you have to check your bags in North terminal).

Alternate would be paid admission to the Admirals Club or free or paid admission to the Amex Centurion Lounge (free if you hold an Amex Plat or Cent card, paid ($50) if you have another Amex card).
Non-NonRev is offline  
Old Jul 13, 15, 10:10 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 771
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
AA will be out of the North Terminal (Concourses D and E), while Concourses F through J comprise the South Terminal - unfortunately, there is no airside connection between the concourses in North and South.

Your only hope would be to ask TSA if they would allow you to use your AA boarding passes to access the South Terminal lounge location you desire (extra walking as you have to check your bags in North terminal).

Alternate would be paid admission to the Admirals Club or free or paid admission to the Amex Centurion Lounge (free if you hold an Amex Plat or Cent card, paid ($50) if you have another Amex card).
Thank you ! it seems might be better off spending 50 at the lounge if we are going to be there a while , especially that Mrs. JordanDawg is pregnant so might not want to walk too much and back. too bad i downgraded my platinum last year...i've always wanted to try the centurion lounge.
jordandawg05 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread