Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charleston Location Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Charleston Location Advice

We are going to Charleston for 4 nights with our toddler and trying to figure out where to stay. I anticipate we'll probably spend about half the time out of town (plantation, beach, etc) and half the time exploring the city. We are looking at a few homeaway/vrbo options in what I guess is called the Design District, Cannon St a bit west of King. Our other option is a suite at a b&b in the historic district - there are a few available, one at the Governor's House b&B on Broad and Orange, one at a b&b at queen and state, and one at Pickney and Church. The homeaway options are certainly more spacious, but I'm worried about being a very long hike from the sites. Should I be? How is that neighborhood now? If we decide on one of the b&b, any preference for those 3 locations?
TIA
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:50 pm

What is your walking tolerance and what month? Walking for 30 minutes with a toddler in 95 degree heat might not be the most fun thing ever. You'll be fine walking around, I walk everywhere in Charleston, just don't go down alleys at night like in any town. I can't say I know much about that exact neighborhood though. If memory serves me, it's better in some blocks than in others. Someone else will hopefully chime in on that though.

Last edited by MissJ; Mar 31, 2015 at 9:02 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I can't think of any reasons to stay around Cannon St. You're not near anything and you won't want to walk around that neighborhood that I know of.

It would help if you tell us when you will be in Charleston and what your interests are.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL
Yes, a little mores specifics about what you want to see/do in our fair city would help answer your question, but in general:

Cannon west of King is a fairly busy street, noise from the road could be an issue. King Street in this area is known as "Upper King" and has numerous restaurants, bars shops. Plenty of energy in this area, fun to hang out, but not sure this is what you have in mind for a visit with a toddler. Depending on your appetite for walking, could be bait far from areas of Charleston you might want to explore.

Broad Street is also fairly busy, but closer to the sites downtown.

State and Queen is a block off of East Bay, another area of restaurants, plenty of dining options. Quieter area. This is also closer to the water.

Without knowing more details about your goals, I would recommend the State and Queen of your three options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.