Wiki Posts
Search

Shuttle or Rent-a-car

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Shuttle or Rent-a-car

Should I take a Shuttle or Rent a car from hotel to Cape Canaveral and back?

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 12, 2015 at 7:36 am Reason: Spam / commercial activity
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Yes.

Sorry I just couldn't resist. But to really answer your question, would require a bit more info on your needs, wants, desires, plus info on each of your options.

For me, it would depend on what you are doing with the rest of your trip, the cost of each option (and cost includes more than just $ with things like waiting time, flexibility, etc.).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I would say rent a car as you have the flexibility. Obviously if rental prices are daft then that might shift the equation, but it's not a difficult drive.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:11 am

I did one way car rental back in January from hotel to Cape Canaveral, and one way rental back from Cape Canaveral to MCO. It was so easy and I think it is better and cheaper than shuttle service if you have 3 or more people. The price is not bad too, I think I paid under $50 each one way on full size car. The toll charges is high though about $10 including the rental car company's e-toll convenience fee.

I rent with Avis, but I saw the Budget line when I left the cruise and head back to MCO.. it was huge. There were 2 groups in line with Avis about 20 groups in line for Budget. I am guessing Budget is much cheaper, but I am not sure it would be worth the wait.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Need

I rent with Avis, but I saw the Budget line when I left the cruise and head back to MCO.. it was huge. There were 2 groups in line with Avis about 20 groups in line for Budget. I am guessing Budget is much cheaper, but I am not sure it would be worth the wait.
I though Avis & Budget were the same operation now????
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I did one way car rental back in January from hotel to Cape Canaveral, and one way rental back from Cape Canaveral to MCO. It was so easy and I think it is better and cheaper than shuttle service if you have 3 or more people. The price is not bad too, I think I paid under $50 each one way on full size car. The toll charges is high though about $10 including the rental car company's e-toll convenience fee.
There is absolutely no need to get a SunPass (toll transponder) despite what the rental car agent may tell you. All Central Florida tolls can be paid in cash if you stay in the far right lane to pay.

Orlando airport car rental agents are notorious for upselling options that you don't want or need. Yes, they have been known to lie about the toll situation in the Orlando area.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Orlando Vic
There is absolutely no need to get a SunPass (toll transponder) despite what the rental car agent may tell you. All Central Florida tolls can be paid in cash if you stay in the far right lane to pay.
To elaborate slightly, main toll plazas on the roads have manned toll booths where you can get change/receipts, exit ramp tolls are exact change only.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The OP won't be back after inserting commercial links in posts from his offices in Eastern Europe, but this can be a helpful subject for other members so we've left the thread open.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP

Orlando airport car rental agents are notorious for upselling options that you don't want or need. Yes, they have been known to lie about the toll situation in the Orlando area.
Wrong on the "far right" info. Some of them you have to stay to the left for cash. Just pay attention to the signs.

There are some exits with NO cash lanes--Consulate Drive is one for sure--and that is used to get to a lot of the resorts, including Rosen Shingle Creek and the whole Grande Lakes complex.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:35 am

There was no transponder, Avis agent said their cars are toll by plate. I wonder if I pay cash at the booth, do I still have to pay the daily e-toll convenience fee?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
There was no transponder, Avis agent said their cars are toll by plate. I wonder if I pay cash at the booth, do I still have to pay the daily e-toll convenience fee?
Logically, you shouldn't have to, but be sure to get a paper receipt each time. Look for the lane that says "change and receipts". That is your insurance in case of possible confusion later.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
No, I just did the drive from Disney to the Cape and every toll booth had a cash lane that was separate from the Sun Pass lanes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.