FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   ground transportation from FLL to MIA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1650210-ground-transportation-fll-mia.html)

jordandawg05 Jan 28, 2015 10:56 am

ground transportation from FLL to MIA

headed to STT over summer and we land in FLL at 11 am and our flight to STT from MIA leaves at 6 pm. What is the best and cheapest way to transfer for two people? this is only for one way.

i know Taxi will cost 80-100 but is there shuttle that we can use that is cheaper? we have several hours to spare so not in a rush.

thanks,

pc820 Jan 28, 2015 11:36 am

Try supershuttle.com

wrp96 Jan 28, 2015 11:41 am

Cheapest way is TriRail. Take the free shuttle from FLL to the TriRail Station. $5 per person. The car to your left will have an area to store luggage. The last station on the line is for the airport where you catch another free shuttle to MIA. Train schedule depends on day of week and time, but it's generally about once an hour and takes about 45 minutes. Very easy and cheap.

jordandawg05 Jan 28, 2015 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 24250837)
Cheapest way is TriRail. Take the free shuttle from FLL to the TriRail Station. $5 per person. The car to your left will have an area to store luggage. The last station on the line is for the airport where you catch another free shuttle to MIA. Train schedule depends on day of week and time, but it's generally about once an hour and takes about $45 minutes. Very easy and cheap.

seems easy and cheap ! so if i happen to be there earlier or right after the train left i may have to wait 45 minutes plus the wait time for the train.

its an option ! i like it. i'll check the supershuttle.com option as well.

thanks !

any other suggestions?

wrp96 Jan 28, 2015 7:55 pm

http://www.tri-rail.com

You can look up the schedules here.

owflyer Mar 3, 2015 12:45 pm

Base rate on Uber is around $35 with no traffic.

jordandawg05 Mar 3, 2015 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by owflyer (Post 24447941)
Base rate on Uber is around $35 with no traffic.

not bad, good idea ! i never used uber, so its gonna depend on the time and day i fly in. good option .

LPDAL Mar 4, 2015 8:50 am

Uber is, most annoyingly, illegal in Broward County. While it may not be that way in Palm Beach or Miami - Dade, it is the case in FLL. I wouldn't take any chances myself.

Yellow Cab is awful.

-LPDAL

jordandawg05 Mar 11, 2015 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by LPDAL (Post 24452587)
Uber is, most annoyingly, illegal in Broward County. While it may not be that way in Palm Beach or Miami - Dade, it is the case in FLL. I wouldn't take any chances myself.

Yellow Cab is awful.

-LPDAL

really? wow who would have known ! thanks for the tip.
i guess i could still to the Rail - we have several hours in transit so might as well explore the rail.

MaxVO Apr 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by jordandawg05 (Post 24493678)
i guess i could still to the Rail - we have several hours in transit so might as well explore the rail.

More good news for you. Tri-Rail has been extended to the new MIA transport terminal. So there's no longer a need to wait for a bus shuttle between the last station and the airport. Now you would just exit at the Tri-Rail MIA station, and follow the signs to the Airport Mover -- which will take you to the terminals.
Here's the thread on the subject ->>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flori...l-station.html

jordandawg05 Apr 27, 2015 11:44 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 24716701)
More good news for you. Tri-Rail has been extended to the new MIA transport terminal. So there's no longer a need to wait for a bus shuttle between the last station and the airport. Now you would just exit at the Tri-Rail MIA station, and follow the signs to the Airport Mover -- which will take you to the terminals.
Here's the thread on the subject ->>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flori...l-station.html

sweet, thank you !

Non-NonRev Apr 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Do keep in mind that at the FLL end, you still must ride a (free) shuttle from the terminals to the Dania Beach Tri-Rail station (a couple of mile away). Shuttle schedules are generally timed to syc with train times, but it varies (check the shuttle schedules on the Tri-Rail website).

(The shuttles are needed because Tri-Rail runs on the existing CSX freight train tracks).

jordandawg05 Apr 28, 2015 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 24730844)
Do keep in mind that at the FLL end, you still must ride a (free) shuttle from the terminals to the Dania Beach Tri-Rail station (a couple of mile away). Shuttle schedules are generally timed to syc with train times, but it varies (check the shuttle schedules on the Tri-Rail website).

(The shuttles are needed because Tri-Rail runs on the existing CSX freight train tracks).

I see, i guess i forgot about that part...so shuttle from FLL to Tri Rail and now the rail can drop us to MIA straight instead of taken another shuttle to MIA...

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George May 4, 2015 8:53 am

This past Saturday I think I am scheduled to fly back into MIA (where my car is parked). I look at my BP and lo and behold its FLL. I checked my original reservation and yes its FLL (both the MIA and FLL flight on US leave CLT at the same exact time I had apparently clicked on the wrong flight). US won't change to MIA without a change fee of $200. I don't want to wait around for nearly two hours for the last Tri Rail train. I end up taking GoShuttle with a private car (but other paxs) for just $25 plus tip. The driver even dropped at my car at an off property parking lot allowing me to avoid waiting for a shuttle to my car. Very quick service, end up getting home only about 30 minutes later than planned.

MaxVO May 4, 2015 10:25 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 24762560)
This past Saturday I think I am scheduled to fly back into MIA (where my car is parked). I look at my BP and lo and behold its FLL. I checked my original reservation and yes its FLL (both the MIA and FLL flight on US leave CLT at the same exact time I had apparently clicked on the wrong flight). US won't change to MIA without a change fee of $200. I don't want to wait around for nearly two hours for the last Tri Rail train. I end up taking GoShuttle with a private car (but other paxs) for just $25 plus tip. The driver even dropped at my car at an off property parking lot allowing me to avoid waiting for a shuttle to my car. Very quick service, end up getting home only about 30 minutes later than planned.

Glad it worked out well! :cool: