4.5 Layover @ FLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4.5 Layover @ FLL

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
4.5 Layover @ FLL

Hey Guys,

Flying into MIA on the 7th of June and I got a 4.5 hour layover to make a transit to FLL.

I'll be renting a car, so I don't really want to go into a mall, I rather go and see some cool place or something. (It's a Luxury from AVIS, I reallllllly want to do some driving).

I thought about driving to Key Largo and back, and maybe hit one of those famous over the water bridges, Google Maps has it at 1.5 hours each way, would it give me time? (Saturday).

Any other places I can visit?

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:01 pm

Is the 4.5 hours solely driving time? Or, is that the time from arrival of flight 1 to departure of flight 2?

Bing Maps gives me a total drive time of 2 hours 35 minutes to go from MIA to Key Largo to FLL. Keep in mind that only 20-25 minutes of that trip would be over water. The rest of that is going to be through generic suburbs and unremarkable open land south of the city.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
4.5 hours is the time I actually have from picking up the car at MIA to check in at FLL.
Old May 20, 2014, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Traffic in South Miami is beyond miserable, even on the weekend. Its not open road other than the Turnpike and there is nothing to see along that highway. Go to one of the area's nicer beaches or SoBe for lunch. Stay far away from Rte 1 Dixie Highway. You will spend hours waiting for red lights.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:40 pm

You could drive to Key Biscayne (Toll road), visit Crandon Park (beach), or Bill Baggs State Park (fee to enter) and see the lighthouse, grab some lunch on the Key, and then head north....

Or drive over to South Beach/Lincoln Road area: beach, food, and maybe a short Ocean Dr. drive....

Heading south seems like a waste in this case....
Old May 21, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Drive over to South Beach, drive up Ocean Dr. Valet at the Celvelander, have a quick drink. Continue on A1A north until you can't go any further. You will pass a couple of inlets, Haulover Beach, the Fountain Blue hotel, Bal Harbor, and some nice beaches.
Cut over to US1. Drive past FLL. Turn on 17th St causeway and continue to famed Fort Lauderdale Beach. Depending on how much time you have, continue all the way to Lauderdale by the Sea. Have a drink or food at Aruba's next to the pier.
Head back to the airport.

As others have said, heading south in that timeframe is a waste of time.
Another excellent choice would be the Key Biscayne/SoBe suggestion above.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA & jetBlue
If you want a nice water view I suggest heading over to Key Biscayne. There are some areas you can pull over at and enjoy a small beach and on the west bound lanes enjoy a nice view of Miami. I would then head back into Miami drive North on US-1 driving through the Brickell and Downtown districts, passed the American Airlines Arena to I-395, take I-395 to Miami Beach, I-395 is right past the port of Miami. On a Saturday it will be full of large cruise ships. You can get off at Watson Island on the exit to your right and enjoy the view of the ships and downtown. There is the Miami Seaplane Base terminal there too. Last time I was there they had a cafe for the public. 395 then becomes 5th street take 5th street till it ends, you can then cruise down Ocean Drive, then make a right on Collins and then you are on A1A take that until it ends. You will be around FLL and depending if you stop or not you can head over to Ft. Lauderdale Beach too.
Old May 23, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flymia
If you want a nice water view I suggest heading over to Key Biscayne. There are some areas you can pull over at and enjoy a small beach and on the west bound lanes enjoy a nice view of Miami. I would then head back into Miami drive North on US-1 driving through the Brickell and Downtown districts, passed the American Airlines Arena to I-395, take I-395 to Miami Beach, I-395 is right past the port of Miami. On a Saturday it will be full of large cruise ships. You can get off at Watson Island on the exit to your right and enjoy the view of the ships and downtown. There is the Miami Seaplane Base terminal there too. Last time I was there they had a cafe for the public. 395 then becomes 5th street take 5th street till it ends, you can then cruise down Ocean Drive, then make a right on Collins and then you are on A1A take that until it ends. You will be around FLL and depending if you stop or not you can head over to Ft. Lauderdale Beach too.
This.

I'll do this.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.