Wiki Posts
Search

Come on Vacation, Leave on Probation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:30 am
Original Poster

I'd be interested to hear opinions on why Florida 1960->2000
went from "Where the Boys Are" innocence and adventure to "COPS." Making money on legitimate travel (say, Miami Beach) is a lot less messy than involving courts and K9s.

(As an example of how things have deteriorated, about 35 % of the Miami airport reviews on SKYTRAX contain the word "nightmare" especially if customs is involved)

Last edited by yandosan; Dec 1, 2013 at 8:49 am
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:38 pm

Really? When? Miami airport was hit by a hurricane in 2004 (Wilma) which impacted terminal operations, and subsequently has been going through upgrades that have improved it substantially. I have recently found customs no worse than any other point of entry. I think the renovations are complete but I can't be sure.

I will say the walk from gate to car rental door, however, is quite long at MIA; arriving from the Caribbean also requires quite a trek to customs and security to get to connecting gates.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:35 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow the thread to its new home in the Florida forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I don't understand the question. I can see that the public perception of Florida went from it being a relaxed, happy-go-lucky state for middle-class beach vacations, to a place seen as a violent, third-world dysfunctional mess - that started in the 80s; remember Miami Vice?

But I have no idea where Skytrax reviews of MIA fit into this.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
But I have no idea where Skytrax reviews of MIA fit into this.
It doesn't. Skytrax reviews can't be used to judge the surrounding metropolitan area. Example: DTW has a score of 8.1 out of 10.

Of course, the other source cited by the OP is a reality TV show. The standard of credibility for assessment is fairly low.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:06 am
Original Poster

The Skytrax reviews are full of stories of gov't officials with an
angry bug up their arse: That's consistent with the ubiquitous cops there and the de facto Florida motto these days :"Come on vacation, leave on probation."
They seemed to have turned their backs on Public Relations in favor
of the thrill of giving people the third degree.
Examples:
Dreadful airport. Do not transit at any cost!
---
I've had the misfortune to have to go through MIA twice in the last three months. The first time, the queue in Immigration was horrific, taking almost 2 hours to get througj
---
I would be very reluctant to use this airport again.
----------
This is the worst airport experience I've ever had.
--__
What a mess! Transiting from Caymans to Heathrow on American Airlines. Even with assistance of airline it took 3 hours to clear through the process
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:21 pm

Dogs at a major airline's hub serving South America aren't there to eat rowdy tourists - but they are really fond of white powder that accidentally finds it's way into the occasional suitcase!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by yandosan
That's consistent with the ubiquitous cops there and the de facto Florida motto these days :"Come on vacation, leave on probation."
You're assuming facts not in evidence. Please provide your rationale for using the experience of one single airport as the basis for denigrating a diverse state with over 19 million residents.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:06 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
It is really hard to make sense of OP's post: he/she conflates the whole State of Florida with a tiny enclave (Miami Beach) and the US-Government-run side of the Miami Airport.

In his/her second post in this thread it appears that the rant was directed to the immigration and customs experience at MIA.

If so, you must understand that most people arriving in Miami are non-US citizens / inexperienced travelers on vacation / frequently whole families with children and older people / people that don't speak english and are not familiar with all the procedures and regulations of CBP. If you think about it for a second, what would you expect to happen?

If you can avoid MIA, do it. It will be better for you and for the others (one less to go ...)

If your rant was not MIA-related; I don't know what to say, as I don't know what you was attempting to say.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by NPF
It is really hard to make sense of OP's post: he/she conflates the whole State of Florida with a tiny enclave (Miami Beach) and the US-Government-run side of the Miami Airport.

In his/her second post in this thread it appears that the rant was directed to the immigration and customs experience at MIA.

If so, you must understand that most people arriving in Miami are non-US citizens / inexperienced travelers on vacation / frequently whole families with children and older people / people that don't speak english and are not familiar with all the procedures and regulations of CBP. If you think about it for a second, what would you expect to happen?

If you can avoid MIA, do it. It will be better for you and for the others (one less to go ...)

If your rant was not MIA-related; I don't know what to say, as I don't know what you was attempting to say.
"Where the Boys Are" was about FLL anyway. Like NYC, Southeast Florida, Miami in particular, is a melting pot of people from various areas most notably Latin/South America and the Caribbean. To a lesser extent, from Naples to Tampa. Northern Florida is very much deep South. I'm not sure what the OP means either. Our entire country is very different from the era of that movie.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:44 am
Original Poster

f so, you must understand that most people arriving in Miami are non-US citizens / inexperienced travelers on vacation / frequently whole families with children and older people / people that don't speak english and are not familiar

You're not getting it. I stood in that miserable 3 hour line for just a connecting flight. We were treated like immigrants, even with valid US passports. The guards cursed at people and threatened them for arrest for the most
trivial things. The airport is a mess, and in some ways, so is the whole corrupt
state. No crowd control, no courtesy at all. The 90% disapproval rate on SKYTRAX might change your mind if
you think I'm making this up, or maybe you're so beaten down by Big Brother this seems like normal conditions to you.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
f so, you must understand that most people arriving in Miami are non-US citizens / inexperienced travelers on vacation / frequently whole families with children and older people / people that don't speak english and are not familiar

You're not getting it. I stood in that miserable 3 hour line for just a connecting flight. We were treated like immigrants, even with valid US passports. The guards cursed at people and threatened them for arrest for the most
trivial things. The airport is a mess, and in some ways, so is the whole corrupt
state. No crowd control, no courtesy at all. The 90% disapproval rate on SKYTRAX might change your mind if
you think I'm making this up, or maybe you're so beaten down by Big Brother this seems like normal conditions to you.
I'm not sure what state government has to do with ICE/Customs or for that matter TSA. Both are fairly incompetent agencies, particularly the latter.

MIA like most other airports was built pre 9/11. Other than the two AA concourses none are connected and require a trip back through Security. And the new D is light years better than when it was Concourses a through D (AA). You think MIA is bad spend some time at EWR.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:48 pm

You're not getting it.
Actually, you're the one not getting it. With the possible exception of airport administrators, I guarantee no one here in South Florida thinks that MIA is an example of a well-run facility. But, your first post bashed the entire state based solely on Skytrax reviews and a reality TV show.

Complain all you want about MIA. But, you shouldn't be surprised that people are calling you out for denigrating an entire state, particularly when it seems clear that the only time you've spent here is at MIA.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Kinda funny, the OP is slamming Florida yet by their own admission, apparently never actually set foot outside the airport:

I stood in that miserable 3 hour line for just a connecting flight.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA & jetBlue
If you think MIA is bad now you should had seen it 10 years ago. The long lines have nothing to do with MIA and everything to do with the U.S Federal Government. Connecting International-International or International-Domestic no matter what hub you are at is going to be annoying. The problem is MIA has more international passengers than any other big connecting hub and has more immigration problems than any other big connecting hub. ATL, IAH, DFW, DTW, MSP, PHL, CLT. Not including JFK and LAX as big "connecting hubs."

Another factor people have not thought about. MIA has a TON of immigration problems, fraud, human trafficking, drug trafficking, smuggling animals, money etc.. I spent some time working For DHS/I.C.E. and got to tour the facility and spend time observing all stages of the process. When in the passport control station observing an officer at work the first women who came to us had a fake passport. The second man had the wrong visa, and it continues and continues. MIA is a big entry point for a lot of the wrong things. CBP and ICE have to be even more careful than usual at MIA.

In my international travels at MIA I have never spent more than 30mins in lines. I find it hard to believe the U.S. citizens line would be 3 hours long too.

As for the airport itself. It is one of the more modern facilities in the country these days with the vast majority of traffic going through two new and modern terminals the South Terminal and North Terminal.

So you speak about the whole state. When have to visited the state? How many days? Where have you been besides for Miami International Airport? Have you ever even been to the city of Miami?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.