FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   Hilton Tuscany and Walt Disney World (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1379308-hilton-tuscany-walt-disney-world.html)

indianinhawaii Aug 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Hilton Tuscany and Walt Disney World

My wife and I will be staying at the following location from 9/1 - 9/4 in a one bedroom suite:

HGVCLUB ON INTERNATIONAL DRIVE aka Tuscany
8122 ARREZZO WAY
ORLANDO, FL 32821

We will have a rental car during our stay.

Do you have any tips on purchasing Disney World Tickets, other activities in the area?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mary2e Aug 21, 2012 7:42 am

I'm not very familiar with that property, however, it is a Vacation Club property much like the one in Waikiki.

There are many things to see and do in the area such as Universal Studios, Sea World, and as you mentioned, Disney.

However, you're not going to get much more than a few dollars discount, if any on the tickets. Also keep in mind that it's a holiday weekend and will be pretty crowded at all the local attractions, so you may have to limit yourselves to one or two, at most.

You can sometimes get discounted tickets at the local Walmart, which isn't too far from Int'l Drive, but they don't have them all the time, and as I said, the discount isn't that great.

Are you arriving directly from Hawaii? You will have to take jetlag into account if you are.

Can you give us more information as to what you want to do?

indianinhawaii Aug 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Thank you!

Thanks for your response.

My wife is interested in spending most of our trip exploring Disney World.

We arrive in MCO from Honolulu at 7.20 am after a 1h, 50m layover at LAX on Sep 1 and return at 8.30 am on Sep 4.

Should we rest for some time on the day of our arrival and visit other attractions in the area? If yes, suggestions are welcome...

OR

Should we have some red bull ;) and just focus on Disney World from Day 1 until the duration of our trip because otherwise we won't have enough time to explore Disney World? :confused:

Also, do you know of any restaurants there that have good vegetarian options on their menu?

Thank you for your help! :)

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 19164053)
I'm not very familiar with that property, however, it is a Vacation Club property much like the one in Waikiki.

There are many things to see and do in the area such as Universal Studios, Sea World, and as you mentioned, Disney.

However, you're not going to get much more than a few dollars discount, if any on the tickets. Also keep in mind that it's a holiday weekend and will be pretty crowded at all the local attractions, so you may have to limit yourselves to one or two, at most.

You can sometimes get discounted tickets at the local Walmart, which isn't too far from Int'l Drive, but they don't have them all the time, and as I said, the discount isn't that great.

Are you arriving directly from Hawaii? You will have to take jetlag into account if you are.

Can you give us more information as to what you want to do?

Mary2e Aug 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Hmmmm... this is tough. How do you normally react to the time difference? Will you be able to sleep on the flight from HNL? I know that even when I'm in business class, I still arrive back to the East Coast it tough shape, though it's not as bad as when I'm in coach. And I take the non-stop to EWR, so I'm not interrupted by a stopover.

As I said, you will be going on a holiday weekend, and it will be crowded, though it will drop off on Monday. Since your wife is interested in Disneyworld, well, you can easily spend a week there, so that's all I'll recommend. The place is big, and you will not be able to enjoy all of it in the time you have. I would pick 2 or 3 of the parks and concentrate on them.

Also, go to disneyworld.com and review the park hours. The Magic Kingdom will be having a special event, a Halloween party, that is separate admission, on Sunday night, so I would suggest that you go there on Saturday/Saturday night and Epcot on Sunday/Sunday night. You can select from Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom for Monday.

I'm not familiar with Vegetarian restaurants in the area you're staying, but Disney restaurants all have an excellent selection on their menus. They've increased it in recent years, so I don't think you will have a problem.

I get the sense you don't really have an idea of how big the place is, how much there is to do, nor the time it will take. 3 days isn't nearly enough. If you're comparing it to Disney Land, well, it's at least 4 or 5 times the size - and that's only the parks, not the land.

Start reading on disney's site and try to plan what you'd like to see and do.

I'll be there that weekend also, for a long weekend. Of the holiday weekends, this one may be one of the lowest crowd levels, but it still will be crowded. Be prepared. Get some sleep after you arrive, and head to the Magic Kingdom for the rest of the afternoon and night.

indianinhawaii Aug 28, 2012 1:23 am

Thanks for the tips!

The first day is going to be tough because both my wife & I have a hard time sleeping on the flight. We will be flying coach unless Delta decides to upgrade us.

I think we will just focus on DisneyWorld.

From what I've read, Epcot seems to be the best and Hollywood Studios seems like the one we could skip. I did visit Tourlinks and printed their suggested itineraries for the parks. I also downloaded their app which has wait times for the rides.

The dates for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party are listed as Select Nights during September 11 – November 2, 2012 on the Magic Kingdom Special Events webpage. We will miss it because we will be there from September 1 - 4.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 19174931)
Hmmmm... this is tough. How do you normally react to the time difference? Will you be able to sleep on the flight from HNL? I know that even when I'm in business class, I still arrive back to the East Coast it tough shape, though it's not as bad as when I'm in coach. And I take the non-stop to EWR, so I'm not interrupted by a stopover.

As I said, you will be going on a holiday weekend, and it will be crowded, though it will drop off on Monday. Since your wife is interested in Disneyworld, well, you can easily spend a week there, so that's all I'll recommend. The place is big, and you will not be able to enjoy all of it in the time you have. I would pick 2 or 3 of the parks and concentrate on them.

Also, go to disneyworld.com and review the park hours. The Magic Kingdom will be having a special event, a Halloween party, that is separate admission, on Sunday night, so I would suggest that you go there on Saturday/Saturday night and Epcot on Sunday/Sunday night. You can select from Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom for Monday.

I'm not familiar with Vegetarian restaurants in the area you're staying, but Disney restaurants all have an excellent selection on their menus. They've increased it in recent years, so I don't think you will have a problem.

I get the sense you don't really have an idea of how big the place is, how much there is to do, nor the time it will take. 3 days isn't nearly enough. If you're comparing it to Disney Land, well, it's at least 4 or 5 times the size - and that's only the parks, not the land.

Start reading on disney's site and try to plan what you'd like to see and do.

I'll be there that weekend also, for a long weekend. Of the holiday weekends, this one may be one of the lowest crowd levels, but it still will be crowded. Be prepared. Get some sleep after you arrive, and head to the Magic Kingdom for the rest of the afternoon and night.

Dorset Flyer Aug 28, 2012 3:21 am

Hi indianinhawaii

We fly in from London, so a 10hr flight for us, and we find the first day not to bad for tiredness. We tend to go into the parks around lunchtime, maybe after the midday sun (although guess you will be more accustomed to the heat than us) and then stay into the evening.

EPCOT is great, my daughter (11 yrs) would say Magic Kingdom, my wife Hollywood Studios, guess it depends on what you are looking for. I like walking around the lake in EPCOT, looking at all the country pavilions.

My website www.floridathoughts.co.uk has loads of hints and tips to help you get the most out of your time, check the Theme Park guides.

Hope you have fun.

Mary2e Aug 28, 2012 6:29 am

Originally Posted by indianinhawaii (Post 19206777)
Thanks for the tips!

The first day is going to be tough because both my wife & I have a hard time sleeping on the flight. We will be flying coach unless Delta decides to upgrade us.

I think we will just focus on DisneyWorld.

From what I've read, Epcot seems to be the best and Hollywood Studios seems like the one we could skip. I did visit Tourlinks and printed their suggested itineraries for the parks. I also downloaded their app which has wait times for the rides.

The dates for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party are listed as Select Nights during September 11 – November 2, 2012 on the Magic Kingdom Special Events webpage. We will miss it because we will be there from September 1 - 4.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Given your limited time, I would take a nap when you first arrive and go to the park that is open late on Saturday - which is the Magic Kingdom. You can do Epcot on Sunday.

Hollywood studios can either be missed, or seen in half a day. Depending upon the crowds, Animal Kingdom may take some more time.

Keep in mind that even though the temps may only be a little higher the Hawaii, there are no trades, and it will be extremely humid. Be prepared for that :)

There's really not much more I could suggest. There is nothing really special going on this coming weekend, and your time is really limited. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Enjoy the stay.

Mary2e Aug 28, 2012 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Dorset Flyer (Post 19207105)
Hi indianinhawaii

We fly in from London, so a 10hr flight for us, and we find the first day not to bad for tiredness.

That's no suprise. Most people don't have any jet lag issues when going west. It's going east that's the killer. :D

Swiss Tony Aug 29, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm guessing the challenge is going to be further compounded by the fact you're unlikely to get into the room early, being a vacation club property.

This might sound a bit crazy, but you might want to drive straight from the airport to one of the parks, have a few hours until the tiredness kicks in then head over to the hotel. Have a swim and maybe get some sleep then get back to a park in time for dinner and an evening show?

If you do this, you probably want to avoid going to the Magic Kingdom on day 1 as the transfer from your car to the park is a bit of a pain, but pick carefully and you might be there for park opening - it'll probably be the quietest you'll see it all weekend!