Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heading to Orlando in complete ignorance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
And don't forget to keep a ton of quarters for our toll roads. You will pay one within a mile of leaving the airport.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Traveller
Hi Dov,

Welcome to Florida... I thought you were never going to fly to the US again?
I wasn't -- but I got an offer that I could not refuse.

The International Drive (I Drive) area is a good place to stay, just like all cities, you have to be aware of your surroundings. It's an area of restaurants, shops and touristy gimmick attractions (not all bad). You probably do want a car unless you want to stay in just one area, like I-Drive, Disney, etc.

Another thing to do in Orlando that no one has yet mentioned is Outlet Mall Shopping, there are 2 big outlet malls near that area. There are also 2 other big malls nearby - Mall of Millenia near Ikea and the Florida Mall, this area starts to get dicey but I go there during the day.
I actually enjoy walking around tourist gimmicky areas and shopping malls. I am serious -- it is just one more part of my very weird personality.

Why don't you set up a small do/meet or mention it in the Community Forums? As someone else mentioned there are a bunch of FT'ers from the area and maybe we can get together? I am not yet sure if I am here that weekend, but if I am I'd love to get together although I'm not too keen on visiting at Universal Studios only because I've been there a few times recently.
Good idea. If you can't come, can you send your Incredibly Gorgeous Blonde Sister instead?

And don't forget to keep a ton of quarters for our toll roads. You will pay one within a mile of leaving the airport.
After a week in LAS, do you really think I will have a quarter left?

BTW, do these toll roads take charge cards?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Dovster
Good idea. If you can't come, can you send your Incredibly Gorgeous Blonde Sister instead?
I just took her back to MCO for her flight to PHL today!

After a week in LAS, do you really think I will have a quarter left?

BTW, do these toll roads take charge cards?
I'm not sure if they take credit cards, I doubt it since the toll booths are spaced every few miles and the tolls range from 50 cents to a couple of bucks. Your rental car company might have an e-pass on it that you can use, they usually charge you after they get billed from the highway system. It's well worth it if you think you will be driving the toll roads because the roads have separate e-pass lanes. Every major highway in Central Florida is toll except for I-4.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
True, but unless things have changed since Nov, there's no exact change lane any longer I used to come with a pocket full of quarters too
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:37 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Your rental car company might have an e-pass on it that you can use, they usually charge you after they get billed from the highway system.
Depends on the car rental company I guess, but the last one I rented from in Orlando, wanted to charge a set daily fee for a toll pass. That daily fee was such that it would take quite a few tolls to make it worthwhile. So I would suggest checking with your car rental agency to see how/what they charge for that service. For me it was cheaper to just bring some change with me.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
True, but unless things have changed since Nov, there's no exact change lane any longer I used to come with a pocket full of quarters too
Wow, I was there in October and they still had an exact change lane. I guess that was a recent change.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Depends on the car rental company I guess, but the last one I rented from in Orlando, wanted to charge a set daily fee for a toll pass. That daily fee was such that it would take quite a few tolls to make it worthwhile. So I would suggest checking with your car rental agency to see how/what they charge for that service. For me it was cheaper to just bring some change with me.

Wow, I was there in October and they still had an exact change lane. I guess that was a recent change.
That's what I thought too. I think the tolls went up to $1 (from the airport) and many people don't carry that many quarters with them.

re: the toll. I think convenience stores such as 7-11 sell a visitors Sun pass for about $5 (not sure). We've never bought one because we really didn't use the toll roads much.

I just realized that we may be talking about 2 different toll roads. We never take the Greenway(?) because it costs more and takes longer. I'm talking about the tolls on the beeline.

Funny how all the airport signs that direct you toward Disney send you to the Greenway and don't even mention you can go the other way. Maybe because the tolls are more
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Dovster,

With a rental car, you could explore farther away and see a little bit of the real Florida. Here are two suggestions:

Wekiwa Springs State park
http://www.floridastateparks.org/wek...gs/default.cfm
http://www.canoewekiva.com/
http://wekivaisland.com/

Blue Spring State Park
http://www.floridastateparks.org/bluespring/default.cfm

Blue Spring might be the better choice as it is the winter home of many manatees and it is something uniquely "Florida". Many visitors never travel beyond a five-mile radius of Disney World and have a chance to see something like this.

-Vic
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orlando Vic
With a rental car, you could explore farther away and see a little bit of the real Florida. Here are two suggestions:
Before my parents passed away they lived in Margate for the last 20 years or so of their lives and I visited them on a regular basis, so I have spent a lot of time in South Florida and some time in Central Florida as well.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:42 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I just realized that we may be talking about 2 different toll roads. We never take the Greenway(?) because it costs more and takes longer. I'm talking about the tolls on the beeline.
You may well be right. I have to admit that I don't pay a lot of attention to the best/quickest ways to get to/from the airport and tend to just follow the signs.

I promised my daughter I'd take her sometime during the 1st half of this year (but haven't settled on a date yet), but I'll try to keep the beeline in mind this time.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:18 pm

All you have to do when leaving the airport is go in the opposite direction the signs pointing toward Disney say. You will end up driving past the convention center/i-drive, before reaching I-4.

It used to be the only way to go until the built the greenway.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Thanks, that sounds pretty good.

If you are in the area when I am there (March 3 through 6), let me know and we can get together for a few drinks and solve any of the world's problems that we have not yet settled on Omni/PR.
Sadly, I will be in the wilds of Tennessee those days. Had to look on a map when they told me where.
If it changes, I will try and make it up there.
Enjoy and let me know if you have any specific things in Orlando.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:39 am

Dov, It looks like I'll be missing you too. Any set of dates I may use will have us crossing paths at the airport
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Dov, It looks like I'll be missing you too. Any set of dates I may use will have us crossing paths at the airport
Alas, my love, you do me wrong,
To cast me off discourteously.
For I have loved you well and long,
Delighting in your company.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:27 am

awwwwww
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
My situation also fits the thread title, I'll be in Orlando Sunday and Monday nights (staying at the I-Drive Radisson on an award stay). I'm busy during the day on Sunday and Monday, but have all of Tuesday morning and afternoon uncommitted before my evening flight home.

What do you think is the best park or attraction you can do in 6-8 hours on a Tuesday (I'll have a car)? Is there anything remarkable to do in the evenings (not doable in most US cities)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.