Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walking to FLL rental car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Walking to FLL rental car

I'm staying at the Marriott Harbor beach and need to rent a car for a day. The only pick up location with lowish rates is FLL. I'm familiar with the area and the distance is well within walking capability and I enjoy walking, but is there any way for pedestrians to cross US1 or any other way in to the Airport complex and rental center. I can return the car to the hotel sothat isn't an issue.

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The easiest way to do this would be to catch Broward County Transit bus route # 40 from the hotel at Seabreeze Drive (A1A), which turns into SE 17th Street Causeway. At the corner of SE 17th Street and US1, transfer to BCT Route 1 which takes you directly to the airport terminals and the Rental car center.

If the weather is good and you wanted exercise, you could skip the part on bus Route 40: walk from the hotel to the SE 17th/US1 intersection, then pick up southbound BCT Route 1 to the airport.

Now, if you ABSOLUTELY were intent of doing it all on foot, you could do the following:

1) Leave hotel - walk down Seabreeze (turns into 17th Street Causeway)

2) Walk west on 17th street, go past US1 and past Broward County Hospital until you reach the corner of SW 17th Street and SW 4th Avenue (Croissant Park Elementary School).

3) Turn south (left) on SW 4th Avenue - walk all the way to where SW 4th Avenue ends, at Perimeter Road (Perimeter is at ground level, with the elevated I-595 directly above it).

4) Walk along Perimeter as it curves south until you reach the ramp to the terminals, parking garages and the rental car center.

(The above routing does require quite a bit of backtracking, but it WILL work if you were really intent on doing the whole trip on foot).
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, as you suggest I may walk part way and catch the bus at US1, I know there is a bar on US1 south of SE 17th and a few other places that suggest it is not the best area to walk around.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
I would also suggest you not walk the whole way. US1, south of SR84 becomes a stock car race. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that place on foot.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
According of BCT Map:

Route 1 Northbound/Southbound

http://www.broward.org/BCT/MapsAndSc...ts/rt1wweb.pdf

Once you transferred from route 1 to route 40.

http://www.broward.org/BCT/MapsAndSc...ts/rt40web.pdf

You have to pay all-day fare is $4.00. If you want to catch the BCT bus at RAC near entire terminal 1 upper level.

Look for Northbound Bus to Central Terminal.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by GottaGoFlying
I would also suggest you not walk the whole way. US1, south of SR84 becomes a stock car race. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that place on foot.
All too true about the crazy traffic, but the OP has already deduced that it's not really possible to access the airport / Rental Car Center from US 1. The reason for the inaccessibility is because the Florida East Coast Railroad's tracks physically cut off the airport from US 1 (in other words, there's no way for a pedestrain, unlike vehicles, to cross over the rail right-of-way.

Originally Posted by N830MH
You have to pay all-day fare is $4.00. If you want to catch the BCT bus at RAC near entire terminal 1 upper level. Look for Northbound Bus to Central Terminal.
The OP is considering taking the BCT bus TO the Rental Car Center, NOT from the RCC. Therefore, the ride that he/she would be making on Route 40 is southbound, not northbound. The Central Terminal is not involved in this trip.

Also, there's no need to buy an all-day pass for a trip that involves one bus trip - a single-ride fare of $1.75 will suffice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.