FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   MIA - Do I need to clear security coming from ST. Thomas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1259962-mia-do-i-need-clear-security-coming-st-thomas.html)

Brahmin Sep 17, 2011 2:02 pm

MIA - Do I need to clear security coming from ST. Thomas

I will be traveling from STT to LAX via MIA.

Do I need to clear Customs/Immigration anywhere? I have a US passport.

What about security? Would I have to do that again in MIA?

I am thinking of buying liquor at STT airport and putting it in my carryon. Will this create a problem at MIA?

MileageAddict Sep 17, 2011 2:33 pm

STT is in the United States Virgin Islands. There is not international boundry being crossed. Once you clear security at STT, you're okay to LAX unless you leave the secure area in MIA

More info: http://studenttravel.about.com/b/200...nds-travel.htm

flyerbog Sep 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Passport - Yes; Booze No

I fly 50K a year between STX (St Croix) and DCA through MIA. Just like any other TSA facility, you will not be allowed to bring alcohol onto the plane as a carry-on in STT. You can check it as baggage (6 bottles duty-free). The US Virgin Islands are a port of entry into the US Mainland. You will have to fill out the standard Customs form just as if you flew in from London. Bring your passport. You can get through without one, but CBP will ask you lots of questions.

Brahmin Sep 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Can I buy liquor after security at STT? If so, will I then be able to have it as a carry-on?

I am coming from STT. Why would I have to fill a Customs for? STT is the US.

Scubatooth Sep 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbog (Post 17126745)
I fly 50K a year between STX (St Croix) and DCA through MIA. Just like any other TSA facility, you will not be allowed to bring alcohol onto the plane as a carry-on in STT. You can check it as baggage (6 bottles duty-free). The US Virgin Islands are a port of entry into the US Mainland. You will have to fill out the standard Customs form just as if you flew in from London. Bring your passport. You can get through without one, but CBP will ask you lots of questions.

Ive flown into and out of STT and SJU many times and and never with a passport and have never been questioned by CBP, harassed by the "brain trust" in blue just about every time.

Often1 Sep 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Brahmin (Post 17126390)
I will be traveling from STT to LAX via MIA.

Do I need to clear Customs/Immigration anywhere? I have a US passport.

What about security? Would I have to do that again in MIA?

I am thinking of buying liquor at STT airport and putting it in my carryon. Will this create a problem at MIA?

Your first Q is about "security." You will clear the TSA checkpoint at STT and not again at MIA.

Your second Q is about USA entry. The reason for the entry formalities is due to the USVI's location. Theoretically, CBP could conduct examinations/inspections "at or near the border" anywhere, and does so at STT. As others note, you do not need a passport, but it helps. If you are not a US National, check the CBP website for the exact requirements.

Scubatooth Sep 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Brahmin (Post 17126800)
Can I buy liquor after security at STT? If so, will I then be able to have it as a carry-on?

Last time I did as i picked up the max allowed number of bottles post security as i have a set up for my rollaboard where i can store a case and have every bottle protected. I have filled out the form as i keep copies but never had to turn it in since its a pure domestic leg.

mvoight Sep 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Brahmin (Post 17126800)

Because USVI is a "insular possession) and there ARE import limits from USVI.

The Customs website
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...exemptions.xml

$1,600 Exemption
If you return directly or indirectly from a U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam), you are allowed a $1,600 duty-free exemption.

If you travel to a U.S. insular possession and to one or more of the Caribbean Basin or Andean countries listed above, let’s say on a Caribbean cruise, you may bring back $1,600 worth of items without paying duty, but only $800 worth of these items may come from the Caribbean Basin or Andean country or countries. Any amount beyond $800 will be dutiable unless you acquired it in one of the insular possessions. For example, if you were to travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands and Jamaica, you would be allowed to bring back $1,600 worth of merchandise duty free, as long as only $800 worth was acquired in Jamaica.

Also, you may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of the $1,600 exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in an insular possession. Only 200 cigarettes may have been acquired elsewhere. For example, if you were touring the South Pacific and you stopped in Tahiti, American Samoa, and other ports of call, you could bring back five cartons of cigarettes, but four of them would have to have been bought in American Samoa.

Similarly, you may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of an insular possession. Four may be products of other countries

JDiver Sep 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Sounds like you fly with our respected Captain Morgan. ;) Though they could technically ask for a customs check, you don't have to worry as long as you're within the five liter limit if the state laws do not further restrict to less than that (though I have never seen a Florida official checking for that).

USCBP: "If you buy five liters of alcohol in - say - the U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI), and one of them is the product of the USVI, then you would have reached your duty-free limit. Any additional purchases made on board in a duty-free shop would be subject to CBP duty and IRS tax."

(USCBP) Bringing alcohol from U.S. insular possessions into the U.S. (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam) <link>

N.B. As this does not pertain strictly to a particular airline it will most likely relocate to the appropriate Forum.

Originally Posted by Scubatooth (Post 17126871)
Last time I did as i picked up the max allowed number of bottles post security as i have a set up for my rollaboard where i can store a case and have every bottle protected. I have filled out the form as i keep copies but never had to turn it in since its a pure domestic leg.