Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Braves game & where to stay, near Hartsfield or downtown?

Old Aug 9, 11, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

I'm flying in around 4pm on Friday. My plan was to drop my luggage off at an airport hotel, then catch a train to the game, and train back. Would that be my best option, or should I stay downtown?

Finally, would I just be better off renting a car? I'd hate to do that, not for the cost but the hassle, so wanted to try to stick to mass transit.
Old Aug 10, 11, 9:41 am

The trains don't exactly go to Turner Field.

You can walk from the nearest station, I think it's around a mile, or take the Braves Shuttle from one of the other, larger, nearby stations (5 Points).

How long will you be in town? Planning to do anything other than see the game and sleep? The area around the airport is not particularly fabulous part of town, not really a good place to see things around the hotels. If you're looking to do any dining or shopping, that area is far from the best.
Old Aug 10, 11, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The last Braves game I went to I stayed at the Sheraton in downtown and took MARTA to the Georgia State stop. It was an easy walk from there, though trains were not exactly frequent at night. I'd do this again rather than staying at the Holiday Inn which is walking distance from the stadium.
Old Aug 17, 11, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
For anyone this might help in the future, I ended up staying downtown and it worked out well. I took MARTA from the airport to Peachtree (took maybe 30 minutes). Then I walked 3 blocks to my hotel (Hilton - $51 on PL). I walked back to the train later, took that to Five Points and walked to the buses. It's a bit of a walk, but it's not bad. I got on the bus and was dropped off right outside the stadium--it was very easy and very convenient.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: