Wiki Posts
Search

MIA: Can I clear security for terminal J just to use a lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
MIA: Can I clear security for terminal J just to use a lounge

I'm flying into Miami for a 5 hour layover. I have Priority Pass and can use the Club America Lounge in Terminal J Airside. I know the Terminal J Airside lounge has food and is newer/nicer.

Since I'm flying in and out of Terminal D. Can I get through security at Terminal J to get to the airside Club America lounge?

And whats the best way to get from Terminal D to Terminal J?

Thanks
Old May 26, 2011, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dko3tgk
I'm flying into Miami for a 5 hour layover. I have Priority Pass and can use the Club America Lounge in Terminal J Airside. I know the Terminal J Airside lounge has food and is newer/nicer.

Since I'm flying in and out of Terminal D. Can I get through security at Terminal J to get to the airside Club America lounge?

And whats the best way to get from Terminal D to Terminal J?

Thanks
D and J are not connected. You would need to exit security and go left. Since you have 5 hours you could try your luck at Security but I doubt they would let you enter Concourse J. AA has two ACs in Concourse D.
Old May 27, 2011, 8:17 am

I also doubt they would let you in with a boarding pass to another concourse.

Two options:

Get an Admiral's club day pass.
Cost= $50

Buy a refundable ticket on an airline flying out of the J terminal so that you can get airside, and then cancel it after getting to the lounge. Delta is in the H/J complex and you should be able to get buy a fully refundable one way MIA-ATL ticket for sub-$400.
Cost = $0, aside from the inconvenience waiting for refund to clear to your credit card, and the hassle of walking from D to H/J and back.

Safe Travels.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
I did it. My layover was so long I decided to try anyway. I used the 3rd floor moving walkways to get to Term.J at the opposite end of the airport. Then when I got to the boarding pass and ID check the TSA person thought I was at the wrong terminal. i explained my next flight was hours away and I just wanted to get to a lounge. She was totally ok with it, and I went through security. Security, that was another story, so after the body scanner, I was taken aside for the infamous "pat down". I said, I thought the whole point of the scanner was to avoid a pat down? The TSA agent said that the picture wasn't clear enough. So yes I did both! What a stupid system.

The Club America Lounge in J was nice. Very new, lots of space, free finger sandwiches, self-serve bar, with juice and alcohol, and cookies. It made my hours of layover alot more bearable, now if TSA could be fixed....
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Plat, DL Silver, US Silver, Amtrak SP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I just did the same at BOS. I had a long delay, late on a Sunday (8:30pm) in terminal C, so I walked to E to use the AirFrance lounge. Apart from the 40-minute wait for security, there were no problems; the TSA agent seemed familiar with the concept.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by FLLDL
Buy a refundable ticket on an airline flying out of the J terminal so that you can get airside, and then cancel it after getting to the lounge. Delta is in the H/J complex and you should be able to get buy a fully refundable one way MIA-ATL ticket for sub-$400.
Cost = $0, aside from the inconvenience waiting for refund to clear to your credit card, and the hassle of walking from D to H/J and back.

was going to do that a few weeks ago, but in the end didnt. anyone ever do it and have any issues or was it smooth sailing?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by crazypalooza
was going to do that a few weeks ago, but in the end didnt. anyone ever do it and have any issues or was it smooth sailing?
I've done this at various airports from time to time rather than bothering with a gate pass or arguing with TSA. No problems.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
Yes, you can.

Yesterday I was able to do this without any problem. I had a long layover at MIA, having arrived into and slated to later fly out of terminal D (AA terminal), but had no lounge access available to me in terminal D. I exited security from D and used the moving sidewalks on the third floor to work my way around to Terminal J. When I presented my AA boarding card at TSA in terminal J, the agent stated that no AA flights leave out of this terminal and asked if I was here for the lounge. I affirmed that I was there for the lounge, and I was permitted to enter through security without issue. It thus appears that this is common and should not be a point of concern at MIA.

On a related note, I found the LATAM lounge and Avianca lounge to be quite nice. The former having more space, nicer furniture and atmosphere, and better drink selection, with the latter having better food, featuring a couple of hot buffet items. Just about good enough to not make me miss having Centurion Club access...
AStarr likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:23 pm

April 2017 - I was able to exit concourse D and use the Club America lounge on airside F with Priority Pass. Pretty skimpy lounge in terms of food (stale cookies, bready sandwiches, chips/salsa). Downside is there is no TSA-pre entering concourse F (they will hand you an expedite card however), so you take your chances with the lines. But as for procedure, all I did is show my ticket to security and pass normal security screening for airside access to concourse F.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
I've been trying to get info on this, but just wanted to ask for clarification about clearing security checkpoints. Say I clear immigration and customs at J, use the lounge, and then went back to D for my flight, do I have to clear security again at D?

Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by jdtravels
I've been trying to get info on this, but just wanted to ask for clarification about clearing security checkpoints. Say I clear immigration and customs at J, use the lounge, and then went back to D for my flight, do I have to clear security again at D?

Thanks!
Every passenger arriving from an international flight and connecting to another flight has to reclear security after clearing immigration and customs.

If you want to visit one of the lounges in Terminal J, you would have to clear immigration and customs and then clear security at Terminal J. If your connecting flight leaves from Terminal D, you would have to clear security again at Terminal D.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Data point: I have never successfully done this.

I've tried arriving the airport early when departing Miami hoping to use a lounge in J and been told no-go. I need to clear at the terminal I depart from. Just FYI.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I was just looking for information on this. I'll be flying a fun route in March JAX-FLL (JetBlue), 10 hours bouncing around Miami before a TATL with TAP Portugal MIA-LIS-CPH in business class. I have Star Alliance gold, a business class ticket, plus Amex Platinum membership so have been trying to figure out which lounge I could get to except there are no lounges at all in the terminal from which TAP departs (terminal G). TAP lists their lounge as the Avianca lounge in terminal J which looking at the airport maps requires going through security clearance to go to the lounge... and then I guess again to get to terminal G? If I'm going to be faced with going through security twice, is the Avianca lounge worth it or should I go for the Centurion lounge?

Or, you know, just hang out in Miami all day and show up to my flight on time and not worry about lounge access for once in my life... ha. I'll be looking for a shower before the flight though so there is that to consider as well though.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Madone59
Data point: I have never successfully done this.

I've tried arriving the airport early when departing Miami hoping to use a lounge in J and been told no-go. I need to clear at the terminal I depart from. Just FYI.
I have done this 3 times and had no trouble - however i was clearing and going to the Amex Centurion lounge, so that may have been the difference. Last time i did it was returning from a cruise and had the whole family with me, TSA didn't bat an eye when I told them we were going to the lounge.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Hi, I am thinking of using the lounge in J and leaving on United which is on H. Can you move freely between H and J? Are they behind the same security check-point so that I only have to clear security once? THANKS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.