Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Will I need to re-check my bags at ATL before my international connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I need to re-check my bags at ATL before my international connection?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Question Will I need to re-check my bags at ATL before my international connection?

Hey everyone. I have an upcoming trip to Buenos Aires .

First, I'm flying Delta from DFW to ATL. I then have a 2.5-hour layover at ATL before my international outbound flight (again on Delta) to EZE in Argentina.

After my domestic inbound flight from DFW to ATL, will I need to claim my bags and re-check them for my international flight? And will I need to stop by a Delta kiosk to get another boarding pass?

Or will they just check my bags from DFW all the way to EZE?

I just don't want to miss my international connection during my layover at ATL.

Can anyone assist me?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
No need to claim your bag at ATL. You'll be able to get both of your boarding passes at DFW.

Note that if flying in the reverse direction (EZE-ATL-DFW), you would get both boarding passes upon checkin at EZE, but you'd have to claim and recheck your luggage at DFW and reclear security for your flight to DFW.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Note that if flying in the reverse direction (EZE-ATL-DFW), you would get both boarding passes upon checkin at EZE, but you'd have to claim and recheck your luggage at DFW and reclear security for your flight to DFW.
I was about to ask about that.

For my return flight back into the States, I have a layover at ATL.

So, on my return flight, at ATL, I assume I'll have to go through Customs and Immigration. Then I'll have to go to baggage claim, re-check my bags, clear another security checkpoint.

How long will all of that take? My flight from EZE to ATL arrives at 6 AM, and my DFW-bound flight departs at 12:30 PM.

And where do I re-check my bags? Will I need to go upstairs to the Delta kiosks?

Isn't there just a "transfer area" where you just hand over your luggage to someone next to a conveyor belt (like at LAX)?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL, AA
For your return flights, in EZE, you should receive both boarding passes and your bags should be checked all the way to DFW. In ATL, you pick-up your bags, clear customs and immigration, recheck your bags, go through security, then proceed to your next gate (or the lounge). There is an area to re-check bags and clear security next to customs/immigration - sort of like the "transfer area" in LAX except that everyone goes through it, even if their trip ends in ATL. If for some reason you don't get your ATL-DFW boarding pass in EZE, there are kiosks and rebooking counters in the secure area of the airport where you can get your boarding pass after reclearing security.

I'm not sure how busy customs/immigration will be (there are several early morning flights and it depends on if you beat them or arrive after them), but with 6 hours before your connecting flight, you should have more than enough time.

Let me add, I'm a bit jealous of your EZE trip! It's a great city to visit. Hope you have a good time.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

@scoow

Don't be jealous. I'm going to Buenos Aires just to see U2 in concert. And their concert is taking place in La Plata, which is southest of the Federal Capital.

I probably won't get the opportunity to see the city. The most of Buenos Aires that I'll likely see is Retiro.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Save the fuss. For that brief a visit, travel with a carryon. After all, you hardly need "Full Dress" rig for a U2 concert, just a second T Shirt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.