FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   $100 Disney gift card + $10 Disney STORE gift card at Sam's Club for $98.87 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1155454-100-disney-gift-card-10-disney-store-gift-card-sams-club-98-87-a.html)

toomanybooks Dec 2, 2010 1:52 pm

$100 Disney gift card + $10 Disney STORE gift card at Sam's Club for $98.87

I was in Sam's Club today and noticed for sale a $100 Disney gift card bundled with a $10 Disney STORE gift card for $98.87.

By using the Citi AA Mastercard, which has a 50% bonus offer right now (at least for me), that's pushing a 15% bonus value.

Check the T&Cs.

Ancien Maestro Dec 2, 2010 11:32 pm

Looks good! For Disney who doesn't offer anything much, they are looking for anything and everything to draw customers.. How's their financials lately?

toomanybooks Dec 3, 2010 5:30 am

Forgot to say that Disney gift cards are usable for pretty much anything Disney-related, except buying DVC points. Use them for park tickets, meals, DVC dues, etc.

Edit: More from someone who seems to have done the research (found at http://easternshoremom.com/):

"This is a great deal but here is what you need to know about this offer….

* The 100.00 gift card can be used at Disney stores (at malls) or at Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland which means the gift card can be used at restaurants, stores, tickets, or resort rooms or vacation packages.
* The free 10.00 bonus card can only be used at Disney Stores (in malls, not at WDW or Disneyland) or at disneyshopping.com. For the Eastern Shore Moms and Mobile Mom’s – we have a Disney Store at Bel Air Mall in Mobile. There are no Disney Stores at WDW or Disneyland – yes, I understand the irony here….
* The Sam’s club circular offers the 100.00 gift card for 98.87 – I did not see any information posted on this in the store.
* There is no tax on gift card sales.
* A Sam’s Club membership is required."

Ancien Maestro Dec 3, 2010 10:04 am

Disney is always careful on offering a deal on a deal on a deal. Many layers can be created.. i.e. Annual Pass, tables at wonderland discount on meals, apply gc certificate bought at a discount.

That's odd that DVC points can't be purchased with the GC..

Mary2e Dec 3, 2010 11:14 am

It doesn't seem like such a great deal to me. I did far better when I could buy a gift card at a supermarket giving me double rewards points on my airline credit card.

I bought a lot of gift cards that year :D

You could do far better by ordering them through an airline portal with a merchant that allows you to buy gift cards and earn points, ie drugstore.com, who pays 10 points per dollar.

Saving me $2 on a gift card, and giving me a fairly useless Disney Store gift card isn't worth the time or effort, IMHO.

toomanybooks Dec 3, 2010 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 15374642)

You could do far better by ordering them through an airline portal with a merchant that allows you to buy gift cards and earn points, ie drugstore.com, who pays 10 points per dollar.

You are certain this works with Disney gift cards? Absolutely certain? Please provide a link.

I just went to drugstore.com and searched for all items containing "Disney." There are 55, none of them gift cards.

And there are much better deals at supermarkets on gift cards than a couple airline miles per dollar.

Ancien Maestro Dec 3, 2010 9:27 pm

If the $10 Disney Store gift card works.. especially at an outlet store, it may be worth it.. who's to say that you can't buy these Sam's certs on cc's that offer double miles? I don't live in the states, but I imagine that you can pay with most major cc's.

Mary2e Dec 3, 2010 9:33 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I haven't done it in over a year, so perhaps the inventory has changed. I think I also had a targeted offer, so I also got a bonus.

There are other merchants that may also offer the cards. I haven't looked in a while, but I will as soon as I get a chance.

My point is that a $2 discount isn't even worth the time or trouble IMHO.

Mary2e Dec 3, 2010 9:37 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Also, I missed it when you said you're getting an AAbonus. Get a net 15%, then yes, it's a good deal. It's also a good deal if you have a Disney card AND have a targeted bonus offer from them.

Mary2e Dec 3, 2010 9:38 pm

duplicate

Mary2e Dec 3, 2010 9:38 pm

duplicate

toomanybooks Dec 4, 2010 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15378005)
If the $10 Disney Store gift card works.. especially at an outlet store, it may be worth it.. who's to say that you can't buy these Sam's certs on cc's that offer double miles? I don't live in the states, but I imagine that you can pay with most major cc's.

Sam's Club accepts Discover and Mastercard.

As for not living in the States to take advantage, what you need to do is find a friendly American who shops there, maybe a member of Flyertalk, and see if he will get them for you at cost.

toomanybooks Dec 4, 2010 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 15378056)

Also, I missed it when you said you're getting an AAbonus. Get a net 15%, then yes, it's a good deal. It's also a good deal if you have a Disney card AND have a targeted bonus offer from them.

And a good deal when you have a large number of DVC points and have to pay the annual dues anyway.

Ancien Maestro Dec 4, 2010 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 15379662)
Sam's Club accepts Discover and Mastercard.

As for not living in the States to take advantage, what you need to do is find a friendly American who shops there, maybe a member of Flyertalk, and see if he will get them for you at cost.

A number of chains just take Mastercard i.e. Tim Hortons, No Frills.. but not Visa.. Wish they would take Visa.. But, if I do end up getting AMEX Plat, then I hope they'll take AMEX as well.

I've got a no fee AMEX from Costco, but I prefer using Visa where I can for my points.

Ancien Maestro Dec 4, 2010 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 15379672)
And a good deal when you have a large number of DVC points and have to pay the annual dues anyway.

Can you pay DVC annual dues on Visa?