FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   Lauderdale Port to MIA -- Tight fit?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1130069-lauderdale-port-mia-tight-fit.html)

itsme110 Sep 25, 2010 1:11 pm

Lauderdale Port to MIA -- Tight fit??

hello super sleuths. I am a US chairman, but I have very little experience with MIA or AA. I am getting to FLL on a cruise ship at 7:00am (suitcases in hand), on Tuesday Oct 26. I am going to jump in a taxi and roar to MIA. I hope to get get clear of the cruise terminal by 7:30 and get to the airport by 8:10. I would like to book a 9:30 flight, MIA--DFW--PVR. What is the consensus on whether or not this is do-able. Is there a priority system at security? Am I likely to be able to use my US Chairman card to get through the priority line? Also, I´m going to have to check bags with AA.

What thinkest the AA gurus????????????

demkr Sep 25, 2010 1:13 pm

I've had success at using my elite card to get through other airlines' security lanes if I tell them I have a tight connection or that "they put me on this flight." But, YMMV.

If you get to the airport by 8:10, you should be able to make the 9:30 am flight no problem..

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Sep 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by itsme110 (Post 14787815)
hello super sleuths. I am a US chairman, but I have very little experience with MIA or AA. I am getting to FLL on a cruise ship at 7:00am (suitcases in hand), on Tuesday Oct 26. I am going to jump in a taxi and roar to MIA. I hope to get get clear of the cruise terminal by 7:30 and get to the airport by 8:10. I would like to book a 9:30 flight, MIA--DFW--PVR. What is the consensus on whether or not this is do-able. Is there a priority system at security? Am I likely to be able to use my US Chairman card to get through the priority line? Also, I´m going to have to check bags with AA.

I don't know much about cruises, but can you really get off the boat and clear of the terminal in 30 minutes after docking?

elitetraveler Sep 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 14787836)
I don't know much about cruises, but can you really get off the boat and clear of the terminal in 30 minutes after docking?

If you have "status" with the cruise line, are booked in a suite or concierge level, and/or specifically let the purser know in advance, usually you can make a run for it as OP describes. However, I have been on cruise ships that have docked late because of weather and also been help up because of customs, so it is taking a risk to cut it that close.

Most cruise lines want to get ride of you as quickly as possible as it is a big job to turn the ship around and many now offer early boarding for their "status" guests. That said, because the big ones carry so many passengers in is subject to lines and delays.

bdemaria Sep 25, 2010 1:21 pm

I don't know about the issue of the US Chairman card helping, but AA now allows you to purchase "Priority Access" when you book so you can buy your way into a shorter security line.

chriskre Sep 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Tuesday morning, Miami traffic?

You're taking a big risk. We have horrible gridlock some days but I guess if you made sure to take the express lane you'd probably make it OK but may get there a little stressed. If it's raining, ay ya ya.

Ft. Laud cruise terminal is about 30 miles from Miami. Ft. Laud cruise terminal is about 1 minute from FLL airport. Any chance you could change your flight? FLL airport is a much easier airport from the cruise terminal IMO.

itsme110 Sep 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by chriskre (Post 14787976)
Tuesday morning, Miami traffic?

You're taking a big risk. We have horrible gridlock some days but I guess if you made sure to take the express lane you'd probably make it OK but may get there a little stressed. If it's raining, ay ya ya.

Ft. Laud cruise terminal is about 30 miles from Miami. Ft. Laud cruise terminal is about 1 minute from FLL airport. Any chance you could change your flight? FLL airport is a much easier airport from the cruise terminal IMO.

The prob is that I can´t get out of FLL on time to connect with the last flt of the day from DFW-PVR (12:30)

US airways is pretty good about the ´flat tire´ rule. If I miss the 9:30 because of traffic, will AA put me on the next flight to DFW without making me re-issue the ticket at what then could be a substantially higher price.

QueenOfCoach Sep 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Murphy didn't write his Law for nothing.

I have found that when I have a tight connection and am hoping that everything goes right, everything will go wrong. When I allow plenty of time, I sail effortlessly through traffic.

I would be really uncomfortable with getting off a cruise ship at 7:00 and booking a 9:30 flight. Are there no other options?

dickinson Sep 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Worst part of your plan is you will be in morning rush hour traffic. I missed a flight out of MIA a couple weeks ago when the turnpike was gridlocked.

tugokc Sep 25, 2010 4:05 pm

If you are on one of those 2000+ passenger ships, 30 minutes would take a miracle. The gauntlet of ships officers alone who want to hug you or shake your hand, and make sure you tipped and bought the pictures etc typically make it an hour long ordeal.

chriskre Sep 25, 2010 7:53 pm

I picked up my Mom on a Sunday from a Holland America cruise and supposedly I was to pick her up at 9am. For some immigration reason, she didn't get off the ship until 10:30 and she is a citizen with her passport and all but someone else had an immigration issue so the whole ship got behind. Not sure why but it can happen. Then again, I've been on cruises where I have my carry on and they let me off just after docking as long as you don't have luggage that they have to porter for you.

I think your pushing your luck with this. If your feeling lucky then more power to ya but I wouldn't trust it. Murphy is alive and well in South Florida.

tylerdurden4543 Sep 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Since you're so close to FLL, why not take AA 1743 FLL-DFW leaving at 8:30? While an hour earlier, sounds like you're starting a lot closer to FLL than MIA

gemac Sep 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by chriskre (Post 14790802)
I think your pushing your luck with this. If your feeling lucky then more power to ya but I wouldn't trust it. Murphy is alive and well in South Florida.

I agree. My experience has been that cruise lines don't want to let you take your luggage (other than hand luggage) off the boat yourself. They want you to put it outside your door the night before, and then they will take it off and put it in a big area for you to sort through. If all passengers took their own luggage off, they would be a week disembarking.

I have also felt that cruise lines were more concerned about making sure that the passengers who booked their airfare through the cruise line got off the boat on time than passengers who made independent travel arrangements.

This really isn't an AA issue. It is a cruise ship issue and a south Florida traffic issue.

I don't know about the US forum, but here on the AA forum we appreciate it if members try to follow this Flyertalk rule: "Make thread titles as specific and descriptive as possible. Sometimes posters will start a thread with a very general title such as, "Guess what?" or "Strange airline policy". Be as helpful as possible in your thread titles, and if you want to improve or change your thread's title after you create it, ask a moderator in that forum for help".

MiamiPrep Sep 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Why Stress Yourself Out

I am going to jump in a taxi and roar to MIA. I hope to get get clear of the cruise terminal by 7:30 and get to the airport by 8:10. Also, I´m going to have to check bags with AA.

Why stress yourself out like this? You're returning from a relaxing cruise. Also, the AA computer locks out checked baggage at 1-hour pre-departure.

AeroMexico has a 2:15pm flight via MEX which arrives PVR at 11pm. (This was the best 1-connection I saw on ITA -- there were many 2-connection flights from both MIA & FLL).

You can have a relaxing breakfast on the ship, disembark after 10am & have a leisurely drive to MIA.

Danwriter Sep 26, 2010 10:03 am

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 (Post 14790928)
Since you're so close to FLL, why not take AA 1743 FLL-DFW leaving at 8:30? While an hour earlier, sounds like you're starting a lot closer to FLL than MIA

This is the best advice of all. Traffic to MIA at that hour is beastly. You could always try Tri-Rail (www.tri-rail.com/rider_info/stm_wday.asp) but the real issue is getting out of Port Everglades in the first place. Best bet is FLL.