Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans - Hotel Rec.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:20 am
Original Poster

New Orleans - Hotel Rec.

Bringing in a group of approx 11-12 people for a weekend meeting. The travel dept has recommended the following hotels as possible sites. While I am familiar with the brand name hotels, I am unfamiliar with some of the other suggested hotels. In addition, I have never been to New Orleans so I am also unfamiliar with locations and nearby attractions. We will go out to dinner as a group both Fri and Sat night. Can FTs familiar with these hotels offer their preference and why. The list includes:
1. Westin New Orleans Canal Place
2. Windsor Court
3. The Roosevelt Hotel New Orleans
4. JW Marriott New Orleans

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
All 4 hotels are within a block of Canal St (the border between downtown and the French Quarter) and within about 6 blocks of each other. So location is not really a factor in my mind.

The Windsor Court and the Roosevelt are probably two of the nicest hotels in town; I've seen 5 star ratings for both. The other two are solid 4 star hotels.

I've stayed at the JW and the Roosevelt myself. The JW has a more modern feel, the Roosevelt is very old-school decor.

You can't really go wrong with any of these choices.

ETA - the Roosevelt is part of the Hilton chain, under their luxury Waldorf Astoria Collection umbrella.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
The Westin and JW are inferior to the Roosevelt and the Windsor Court. I've stayed at all but the JW, and I'd recommend the Roosevelt. I think the Windsor Court is very nice, but it is dated, and Roosevelt just opened and is beautiful. I'd also check out the Ritz Carlton, which can be surprisingly well-priced. It's my favorite hotel in the quarter, and a great deal if you can get it.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks swag and nyc1978. Seems the Roosevelt is the preferred place so I will have the travel dept look further into booking rooms there first.

The Ritz was also considered but was either not available or quoted rates outside our budget.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by swag
All 4 hotels are within a block of Canal St (the border between downtown and the French Quarter) and within about 6 blocks of each other. So location is not really a factor in my mind.

The Windsor Court and the Roosevelt are probably two of the nicest hotels in town; I've seen 5 star ratings for both. The other two are solid 4 star hotels.

ETA - the Roosevelt is part of the Hilton chain, under their luxury Waldorf Astoria Collection umbrella.
Agree with the Roosevelt and Windsor Court being the top 2 of the above choices.

Originally Posted by nyc1978
I think the Windsor Court is very nice, but it is dated, and Roosevelt just opened and is beautiful. I'd also check out the Ritz Carlton, which can be surprisingly well-priced. It's my favorite hotel in the quarter, and a great deal if you can get it.
Agree with the comments about the Roosevelt. Also, it is home to Domenica, one of the hot, new restaurants in the city. Getting lots of good reviews.

FYI, regardless of the Ritz's marketing dept. claim, the Ritz is not located in the French Quarter (Vieux Carre). The French Quarter starts on Iberville St., on the opposite side of Iberville from the rear of the Ritz.

See: www.prcno.org

Look for the neighborhood brochure of the Vieux Carre.

To the OP: I hope you enjoy your stay in NOLA and we thank you for coming to our city.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
To the OP: I hope you enjoy your stay in NOLA and we thank you for coming to our city.
You should be thanking my support staff. When it came time to decide on a location for the meeting, most of us were ho-hum about it as we are pretty seasoned flyers/travelers and have been to most US cities. I turned to my support staff and asked "where would you like to go"? The answer was New Orleans. I am sure we and they will take advantage of the city offerings .
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:21 am

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
If you're looking for something with a bit more of the local flair, might I suggest the Bourbon Orleans? It's one of my favorite hotels in NOLA.

http://www.bourbonorleans.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.