Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I've done some of these things before (and yes, realizing that the Garden District doesn't actually go up to the end of the streetcar, but the neighborhood is still fun to see) I apologize for not being more precise. But I appreciate the different options/approaches we could take. Might depend on how much energy & time we have when we decide to get going.....Typically if I start feeding my husband drinks, he's amenable to me shopping :-)

I'm very excited now, esp as the weather for Fri/Sat/Sun this week looks very nice! Fingers crossed - mid-70s and mostly sunny would be a GREAT way to explore! A 5 mile walk in rain would suck, but in nice weather? No problem. Because we're there for a trade show, I definitely pack shoes made for standing & walking!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by philemer
Great ideas, FLYMSY. Appreciate the feedback. The reason we like Happy Hours is not so much the booze but a chance to get some cheap eats.

My wife loves wandering around and going into different stores so Magazine St. sounds fun. ($$$).
philemer, if you are into micro-brews, while in NOLA take Uber to Urban South Brewery (1625 Tchoupitoulas St) and Courtyard Brewery (1020 Erato St). You can also take in Avenue Pub (no brewery here) and the St. Charles Streetcar will take you there (1732 St. Charles Ave).
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by controller1
philemer, if you are into micro-brews, while in NOLA take Uber to Urban South Brewery (1625 Tchoupitoulas St) and Courtyard Brewery (1020 Erato St). You can also take in Avenue Pub (no brewery here) and the St. Charles Streetcar will take you there (1732 St. Charles Ave).
I'll 2nd the suggestion of Courtyard. They're fairly unique as a brewery in that besides the dozen or so of their own beers, they also serve a bunch of beers from other brewers, usually a well-curated list including some less usual brews. I also like Avenue Pub, and the two spots are about a half mile apart if you want to hit both.

I think both spots keep their beer lists updated on their sites, so look them over when your trips is closer.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the food at Coops is good but not extraordinary. I'll eat there, but don't quite get why there's often a long line. The staff there often can be brusque, so be ready for that that going in. If there is a line when you get there, pop into Molly's next door and get a drink for the wait; their Irish coffee is excellent, and though it's not my drink of choice, friends recommend the Bloody Mary's there also.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
If you’re looking for Happy Hours in the Warehouse District, you might want to look at Picayune Social House and NOSH. Of course, there are a ton more to choose from.
Great ideas, FLYMSY. Appreciate the feedback. The reason we like Happy Hours is not so much the booze but a chance to get some cheap eats.
I've only been once, but found the happy hour at NOSH to be an absolute steal. 4-7 pm every day of the week, with 50 cent oysters on the half shell, several $5 appetizers, and $4 beers and $5 selected cocktails.

It's an unusual space, feels more like a hotel lobby than a restaurant, besides the bar itself the table are low, with upholstered chairs or couches around them and a lot of empty space in between. I think it caters to a millennial crowd that's happy to stand and mingle, but it wasn't at all crowded when we went on a Sat at 6:30, and my GF and I (both 50+) felt comfortable and welcome.

Johnny Sanchez also has a popular happy hour with $2 tacos until 6pm on weekdays.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by swag
I've only been once, but found the happy hour at NOSH to be an absolute steal. 4-7 pm every day of the week, with 50 cent oysters on the half shell, several $5 appetizers, and $4 beers and $5 selected cocktails.

It's an unusual space, feels more like a hotel lobby than a restaurant, besides the bar itself the table are low, with upholstered chairs or couches around them and a lot of empty space in between. I think it caters to a millennial crowd that's happy to stand and mingle, but it wasn't at all crowded when we went on a Sat at 6:30, and my GF and I (both 50+) felt comfortable and welcome.

Johnny Sanchez also has a popular happy hour with $2 tacos until 6pm on weekdays.
Thanks for the NOSH tip, swag. I did find it funny that they list Miller Lite under "Modern Craft Beers" though. https://www.noshneworleans.com/menus/
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Looking for recommendations for a 35th birthday dinner for my wife and myself.

This is a kid-free splurge for us, so anything's on the table. We're not opposed to something with a dress code.

Does August live up to the hype?

Edit: August is full. We're looking for something along those lines, though. Commander's Palace?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
For weekend brunch, I've noted Balise and Willa Jean. Good ideas? Anything better?

Thanks!!
We're also looking at Willa Jean, as well as Cochon Butcher. Are those places less busy at any time during the week? We're looking at lunch or dinner Monday-Wednesday, and brunch/lunch before heading to the airport on Sunday.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by aww3583

This is a kid-free splurge for us, so anything's on the table. We're not opposed to something with a dress code.

Edit: August is full. We're looking for something along those lines, though. Commander's Palace?
Both might be considered special occasion restaurants, but they’re very different. Can you explain what you mean by “along those lines”? What is it about August that you’re trying to match?

Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Both might be considered special occasion restaurants, but they’re very different. Can you explain what you mean by “along those lines”? What is it about August that you’re trying to match?

Just looking for something memorable, from a service and quality of food standpoint. Finding a good restaurant in New Orleans is like shooting fish in a barrel. But, after looking at menus online, there's a lot of repetition. There's only so many ways you can do paneed rabbit.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Just looking for something memorable, from a service and quality of food standpoint. Finding a good restaurant in New Orleans is like shooting fish in a barrel. But, after looking at menus online, there's a lot of repetition. There's only so many ways you can do paneed rabbit.
I would go to Brigtsen’s. It’s not as flashy as some other places, but it’s a more intimate place and they’ll make you feel special (especially if you tell Marna that you’re celebrating a special occasion when making a reservation).
rustykettel likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
GW Fins

I haven't seen GW Fins mentioned. I did see it was recommended in an older thread here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20017598-post6.html by FLYMSY. It is #1 on TA. Anything better for fresh fish/seafood? Pros & cons?
controller1 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:06 am

Any thoughts on Apolline or Upperline?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:54 am

No.

Edit: just saw my “no” to August living up to it’s reputation appeared in the wrong place.
Commander’s is a good choice, but I’ll add the following: Brennan’s, La Petite Grocery, Avo (especially if the weather is nice and you can sit in the courtyard), Bistro Daisy and Gautreau’s

Originally Posted by kchoya
We're also looking at Willa Jean, as well as Cochon Butcher. Are those places less busy at any time during the week? We're looking at lunch or dinner Monday-Wednesday, and brunch/lunch before heading to the airport
on Sunday.
We just went to Willa Jean this past weekend, so can’t speak about weekdays. Line out the door, big, open industrial space, very loud, very hipsterish. Looked like it had a good food items and has a good reputation, but we left. Wasn’t our kind of place. I do like Cochon Butcher. As far as Sunday brunch, you could try the Ruby Slipper, but I’m still sticking with Live Oak Cafe or DTB. Bar Frances would be another possibility.

I haven't seen GW Fins mentioned. I did see it was recommended in an older thread here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20017598-post6.html by FLYMSY. It is #1 on TA. Anything better for fresh fish/seafood? Pros & cons?
Look at Peche.

Any thoughts on Apolline or Upperline?
Went to Apolline last month. We used to like it, but came away disappointed this time. Upperline is worth a try, but in the same area is Avo, which is quite good.

Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We had lunch at Willa Jean last Friday - was an early lunch, soon after we arrived in New Orleans (since we'd been up at 3am eastern time to get to the airport for our flight...) We got right in (around 11:15) and had a delicious meal. I had the bbq shrimp toast and husband had crawfish sandwich. It was a little loud, but we didn't find it so different from many other restaurants. It's casual and lunch - we weren't expecting subdued, I guess.

Just back from trip late yesterday - am finishing catching up on work emails and will post about the other places we ate. As per usual, no bad food - from food trucks to nicer ;-) Though no "super fancy" place this time.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.