Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Arrive Tues. evening, depart Sun. morning. So Wed>Sat. Museums, no running/jogging, old plantations, river cruises, moderate restaurants (under $40 each).
Since you are not going to have a car, I’m going to recommend things that you can do using public transportation. As Blumie mentioned, Uber, etc. are good choices, also. If using public transport, you may want to buy a “Jazzy Pass”. Here’s the link to the Regional Transit Authority website with all of the transit maps, etc.

New Orleans Regional Transit Authority: Cleaner, Smarter Transit

1. Take the Canal St.-Cemeteries streetcar to the end of the line and go visit one of the old cemeteries. When you are finished, walk a few blocks to a restaurant that is off the beaten path - Rosedale. Very good food and owned by one of the top chefs in New Orleans - Susan Spicer. She, also, owns Bayona and Mondo.

Rosedale Restaurant ? From Chef Susan Spicer

2. Take the Canal-City Park streetcar line to City Park, especially if the weather is beautiful. The streetcar goes from Canal St and the onto N. Carrollton Ave. to City Park. Get off at the end of the line and visit the New Orleans Museum of Art. Either before or after the museum, you can go to Morning Call for beignets & café au lait. The setting is beautiful and I much prefer going here than Cafe du Monde in the FQ. This is where I bring my out of town guests for beignets. If it is closer to lunch time, walk over to City Park Blvd. and go to Ralph’s on the Park for lunch. It’s owned by one of the Brennan family and will fit your price point. Restaurant has a very nice painted mural inside. Get a table by the windows and look out at City Park. When finished, walk back to N. Carrollton and catch the streetcar.

New Orleans Restaurant : Located in City Park : Ralph's on the Park Restaurant by Ralph Brennan

3. I notice from your signature, that you are into microbrews. I don’t know much about beer, ask me about wine, but there are some new craft/micro(??) breweries on Tchoupitoulas St. You can take the Tchoupitoulas bus from downtown to visit them.

4. Take a ride on the St. Charles Ave. streetcar through the Garden District and Uptown to see the mansions, Tulane Univ., Audubon Park. You could get off at Oak St and go to Live Oak Cafe for breakfast or lunch or, if it is on Friday or Saturday, you could do brunch at one of my favorites, DTB, which stands for Down the Bayou. Chef is from bayou country. Look for the small sign that has DTB on it.

5. Take the Rampart streetcar down to the Marigny and Bywater areas. Stop at the St. Roch Market for food or drink. It is an old market that has been renovated and is more food court style, in a local vendor vein.

6. If you like taking tours, then a plantation tour or a steamboat tour (Natchez is better, I think) would work. Also, as much as I don’t like them, there is the Hop on/Hop off bus.

Hope this helps.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
We're heading to New Orleans Friday (work trip, will be at convention center, staying in Warehouse district) We're usually completely wiped out after working a trade show all day but try to do one "high" end meal per visit. Our last trip was 2015 and we ate at Cochon and loved it, as well as Green Goddess & Sylvain (we went to the French Quarter before the show started and we had a little more energy ;-). I have a full My Map of places to eat & drink (and am following here ;-) Any new recommendations for Warehouse district? We eat everything (I'm the only one who eats oysters - had the happy hour special at Luke 2 visits ago. Yum yum!) or at the very least - there's always something on the menu that appeals! Budget - $100 or $150?

(we're finally going to WWII museum this trip and want to eat in their cafe - their beer list looks amazing. I'm married to a homebrewing craft beer afficianado, so checking out beer lists along with the regular menu is part of my research ;-)

For weekend brunch, I've noted Balise and Willa Jean. Good ideas? Anything better?

Thanks!!
Balise is good. It’s owned by the same couple that owns La Petite Grocery, another restaurant that I like very much. Also, consider Meril, Emeril’s latest restaurant that is named after his daughter. I went a few months ago and enjoyed it. Make your reservation soon, especially for Meril.The downtown restaurants can get booked if a trade show is in town.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Thanks - I put Meril's on my map but we've tended to avoid big name chef restaurants for some reason...I'm also noting the advice you gave above since some of that will be applicable for us too :-) I'd like to do a walking tour in the Garden district - did one with my mom ages ago, haven't with husband.....
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thanks, FLYMSY. Very helpful! ^

Speaking of wines--I'm used to PNW and CA wines. What mid-price wines should I consider on a typical NOLA rest. menu? Reds & whites.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:31 pm

Thanks, FLYMSY. Very helpful! ^

Speaking of wines--I'm used to PNW and CA wines. What mid-price wines should I consider on a typical NOLA rest. menu? Reds & whites.
That’s difficult to answer. Many of the better restaurants may have the same wine supplier, but they choose different wines to suit their menu. Therefore, wine lists can vary widely from restaurant to restaurant. Also, at your price point of $40 per person for food, it will limit your choices.

I like PNW and CA wines, but find decent Oregon wines are a better value. We often include winery visits when we travel, CA, PNW, Italy, France, Germany, Austria, etc. As a point of information, I find that a restaurant markup of 2-2.5 times as very reasonable. The problem is that many restaurants will markup their wines 3-4 times. Case in point, there is a pizza/Italian restaurant that we used to frequent that changed it’s wine list to what I thought were inferior wines and I knew that had marked up the wines at least 3x! When I asked the waiter (who is related to the owner) about it, he said that most restaurants mark up wines 3-4 times. I thought to myself, “ yes, but they aren’t pizza restaurants in a converted Popeyes”. Haven’t been back since.

I know some very good restaurants here that only markup 2-2.5 times and they aren’t in a converted Popeye’s; I.e., Bistro Daisy and Boucherie.

Bottom line answer to your question is that the wine lists are too diverse to be able to make a valid suggestion, but look at Oregon or Austrian wines.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:44 pm

If you’re looking for Happy Hours in the Warehouse District, you might want to look at Picayune Social House and NOSH. Of course, there are a ton more to choose from.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
If you’re looking for Happy Hours in the Warehouse District, you might want to look at Picayune Social House and NOSH. Of course, there are a ton more to choose from.
We're staying near Rampart & Canal. Any decent Happy Hours with small bites in the area?

Foursquare recommends these: https://foursquare.com/top-places/fr...ces-happy-hour
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:45 pm

We're staying near Rampart & Canal. Any decent Happy Hours with small bites in the area?

Foursquare recommends these: https://foursquare.com/top-places/fr...ces-happy-hour
With the caveat that I don’t go to Happy Hours in the FQ, if it were me and going by the ones listed in your link, I would suggest #s 2,3,4,5,7,9,10,12 & 14.

Also, I realized I should have added another possible outing to the list in the previous post about things to do.

7. Take the Magazine St. bus from downtown thru the Garden District and into Uptown. It goes all the way to Audubon Park which has a fantastic zoo. However, if that doesn’t interest you, I think Magazine St. is very good for shopping, dining and drinking. Eclectic, diverse and family friendly. For a first time visitor, I would probably get off somewhere between Washington Ave. & Louisiana Ave. and just wander around. Nearby restaurants include, but not limited to, Joey K’s, Stein’s Deli, District Donuts, Slim Goodies and Dat Dog. Sucré is fantastic if you’re looking for something sweet.

Someone up thread had mentioned the WWII Museum which is a good choice, however, the Ogden Museum of Southern Art is next door as is the Confederate Museum. The Contemporary Art Center is across the street.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great ideas, FLYMSY. Appreciate the feedback. The reason we like Happy Hours is not so much the booze but a chance to get some cheap eats.

My wife loves wandering around and going into different stores so Magazine St. sounds fun. ($$$).
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I love Magazine St - I've noted a bunch of new stores I'm hoping to be able to wander into this time. What I'm hoping to do Fri or Sat afternoon is take the street car up to the "far" end of St Charles and do a walking tour of the big pretty houses [Garden District] and then walk back some on Magazine St, stopping for food, drink & shopping as needed. I also noted a few of the breweries on Tchoupitoulas you mentioned upthread - I fear that might be too much for one afternoon though....
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:11 pm

I love Magazine St - I've noted a bunch of new stores I'm hoping to be able to wander into this time. What I'm hoping to do Fri or Sat afternoon is take the street car up to the "far" end of St Charles and do a walking tour of the big pretty houses [Garden District] and then walk back some on Magazine St, stopping for food, drink & shopping as needed. I also noted a few of the breweries on Tchoupitoulas you mentioned upthread - I fear that might be too much for one afternoon though....
Just as a point of information, if you go to the far end of St. Charles Ave. you’ll be in the Uptown area of the city. The Garden District roughly lies between Jackson Ave. and Louisiana Ave. and between St. Charles and Magazine St.

Here’s a map from the Preservation Resource Center that outlines the various neighborhoods.

https://prcno.org/resources/explore-...f-new-orleans/
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

Just as a point of information, if you go to the far end of St. Charles Ave. you’ll be in the Uptown area of the city. The Garden District roughly lies between Jackson Ave. and Louisiana Ave. and between St. Charles and Magazine St.

Here’s a map from the Preservation Resource Center that outlines the various neighborhoods.

https://prcno.org/resources/explore-...f-new-orleans/
There are a couple of ways I would recommend “doing” Magazine St.:

If you are are willing to spend all day walking, start by taking the streetcar to the “far end” of St. Charles. Get off in front of Tulane and cut through the beautiful Audubon Park to get to Magazine St. Turn left on Magazine and walk as far back as your legs will take you. This will end up being a 5+ mike walk, but on a nice day it’s a great walk. You can do it at a leisurely pace and check out all the shops. And of course there are great lunch options, quick ones like Stein’s, Magazine Poboys or District (sliders, donuts, and coffee), fancier ones like La Petite Grocery, Coquette and Shaya, and great more casual sit-down places like Casamento’s and Lilly’s Café. (I think that list covers my favorites on the street!) If you are able to walk all the way back you’ll be able to wander through the Garden District as well.

Alternatively, start your day with an Uber to Surrey’s (the Lower Garden District location) for a great (though super casual) breakfast. After, walk uptown on Magazine to and then through the Garden District — maybe a mile total from Surrey’s. Make your way to St. Charles and then hop on the street car, continuing uptown until the Carrollton bend. Hop off and come back the other way. This takes you through a very small but still interesting stretch of Magazine while still including the Garden District and a tour of uptown on the streetcar.

Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by Blumie; Feb 13, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Case in point, there is a pizza/Italian restaurant that we used to frequent that changed it’s wine list to what I thought were inferior wines and I knew that had marked up the wines at least 3x! When I asked the waiter (who is related to the owner) about it, he said that most restaurants mark up wines 3-4 times. I thought to myself, “ yes, but they aren’t pizza restaurants in a converted Popeyes”. Haven’t been back since.
Oh man, now I want to know what that one is. Does the name begin with an R and end with "elli"?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by jg70124
Oh man, now I want to know what that one is. Does the name begin with an R and end with "elli"?
That’s not it. The one that I’m talking about is on the East Bank of Jefferson Parish and has gotten rave reviews. It’s pizza is very good and they use locally sourced ingredients as much as possible, including growing some of their own herbs on site. Also, their entree portions tend to be small and since we are wine drinkers, when I inquired about a corkage fee, I was quoted an outrageous price that many higher end restaurants don’t charge. They are getting ready to expand to a much larger second location in Old Metairie.

Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Blumie

There are a couple of ways I would recommend “doing” Magazine St.:

If you are are willing to spend all day walking, start by taking the streetcar to the “far end” of St. Charles. Get off in front of Tulane and cut through the beautiful Audubon Park to get to Magazine St. Turn left on Magazine and walk as far back as your legs will take you. This will end up being a 5+ mike walk, but on a nice day it’s a great walk. You can do it at a leisurely pace and check out all the shops. And of course there are great lunch options, quick ones like Stein’s, Magazine Poboys or District (sliders, donuts, and coffee), fancier ones like La Petite Grocery, Coquette and Shaya, and great more casual sit-down places like Casamento’s and Lilly’s Café. (I think that list covers my favorites on the street!) If you are able to walk all the way back you’ll be able to wander through the Garden District as well.

Some really good suggestions. While I agree that Shaya has had good food, I haven’t been recently. I’m choosing not to go there until all of the really nasty legal, moral, and ethical issues get settled at Shaya. It does seem a shame that a person can’t use their own name for a restaurant.

Alternatively, start your day with an Uber to Surrey’s (the Lower Garden District location) for a great (though super casual) breakfast. After, walk uptown on Magazine to and then through the Garden District — maybe a mile total from Surrey’s. Make your way to St. Charles and then hop on the street car, continuing uptown until the Carrollton bend. Hop off and come back the other way. This takes you through a very small but still interesting stretch of Magazine while still including the Garden District and a tour of uptown on the streetcar.
Another good suggestion, however, Magazine St. doesn’t go as far as the Carrollton bend. It stops at Broadway near Audubon Park. It would be better to get off the streetcar at the corner of St. Charles and Broadway (just past Tulane U.), walk towards the river on Broadway and pick up Magazine St. there.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 17, 2019 at 1:21 pm Reason: Fixed quote tag

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.