Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Can't really decide where to go for birthday dinner later this month in NO. We've been to Cochon already. Not interested in old-school places like Galatoire's, Brennan's, or C.P. Leaning towards Toup's Meatery, Herbsaint, Le Petite Grocery, or Shaya. Any thoughts among these would be appreciated!
Shaya (a very tough reservation) or Coquette.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:00 pm

Can't really decide where to go for birthday dinner later this month in NO. We've been to Cochon already. Not interested in old-school places like Galatoire's, Brennan's, or C.P. Leaning towards Toup's Meatery, Herbsaint, Le Petite Grocery, or Shaya. Any thoughts among these would be appreciated!
La Petite Grocery. I'll throw out another suggestion: Avo.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Thanks, everyone. I ended up booking La Petite Grocery for b-day dinner as it looked the best to me. I figured Coquette would get a bit pricy as we simply would have been forced to do the tasting menu and Shaya was booked up as predicted (and likely wouldn't have really been my cup of tea anyway). I'll look into Avo as well.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:44 pm

Thanks, everyone. I ended up booking La Petite Grocery for b-day dinner as it looked the best to me. I figured Coquette would get a bit pricy as we simply would have been forced to do the tasting menu and Shaya was booked up as predicted (and likely wouldn't have really been my cup of tea anyway). I'll look into Avo as well.
I think you made the right decision. While I like Coquette, I'll only go if I can sit upstairs. The downstairs section is extremely noisy. I'll throw out one more suggestion. Mat & Naddies. It's pretty good food, has a very interesting, in a good way, wine list and the staff is quite nice. Parking is very easy at night - use the Keller Williams Realty lot directly across the street.

Edit: Unfortunately, Mat & Naddies has closed permanently.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Aug 15, 2017 at 9:58 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:30 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
had yet another great meal at green goddess. it hidden and lots of vag options.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cur
had yet another great meal at green goddess. it hidden and lots of vag options.
Please don't tell us what those options were.
cur and theshaun like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:29 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by justforfun
Please don't tell us what those options were.
i used to live in cape town very close to one of these. you can imagine what i saw every time
http://www.kimberley.co.za/wp-conten...d_veg-LOGO.jpg
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
Be sure to try Oceana Grill on Conti at Bourbon. Their pain perdu (French toast) is delish. It came with powdered sugar on it and a few small packages of syrup. It was so good I did not use the syrup. Also, for dinner I have had re beans and rice, gumbo, jambalaya, and a shrimp po boy. The staff was wonderful as well ^
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: DL SILVER, AA GLD
For Italian food, I always love the Italian Barrel. They used to have a tiny dining room but the last time I went they had expanded it. My fiancée and I have yet to have a bad dish there.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by swag
For cheap and casual near your hotel, I like Killer Po Boys. Creative and non-traditional po boys, check the menu online. Their standalone restaurant is a half block from the Hyatt, and the original is in the back room of a bar 2 blocks away. I'd opt for the latter for more memorable atmosphere, assuming all are 21+.

For classic fried shrimp and oyster poboys in the Quarter, try Johnny's on St Louis. Lunch only.

For a nicer dinner but without Commander's dress code, near your hotel I like the Pelican Club, and also the Palace Cafe.
Johnny's is also open for breakfast delights.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:35 pm

Shaya

Just want to give an update about one of the highly regarded restaurants that has been mentioned frequently in this thread - Shaya. The restaurant was part of the Besh Restaurant Group and Alon Shaya was fired by John Besh. Apparently, Alon had cooperated with the newspaper writer of the article that shined a light on the sexual harassment allegations at the BRG restaurants. Therefore, Alon is no longer affiliated with his namesake restaurant. My understanding is that the restaurant is still doing good business, but I have no idea of the quality of the food since Alon's departure. Alon has been trying to purchase the restaurant from BRG, but has not been able to, at this time.

If you missed seeing or reading the national news regarding this, then Google is your friend. A sad situation.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Question

We're sailing out of New Orleans on a cruise next month and I'm looking for recommendations for our specific group of four. It is my wife and I, as well as her sister and fiancé. We have not been to New Orleans before and would like to visit a couple of spots serving Creole/Southern/etc. cooking - though we're definitely not opposed to also eating at other types of restaurants as well. Since we're going on a cruise, we're packing light and trying to avoid restaurants with stricter dress codes (jackets for men, etc.) I did have a reservation for the Chef's Table at Commanders Palace (and would gladly dress up for that), but then I was informed there was a mandatory wine pairing, and my sister-in-law and her fiancé are both under 21, so we had to cancel.

We get in Monday at noon and sail out Wednesday afternoon. We'll also be looking for a brunch or lunch on Sunday after we return and before we head to the airport.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kchoya
We're sailing out of New Orleans on a cruise next month and I'm looking for recommendations for our specific group of four. It is my wife and I, as well as her sister and fiancé. We have not been to New Orleans before and would like to visit a couple of spots serving Creole/Southern/etc. cooking - though we're definitely not opposed to also eating at other types of restaurants as well. Since we're going on a cruise, we're packing light and trying to avoid restaurants with stricter dress codes (jackets for men, etc.) I did have a reservation for the Chef's Table at Commanders Palace (and would gladly dress up for that), but then I was informed there was a mandatory wine pairing, and my sister-in-law and her fiancé are both under 21, so we had to cancel.

We get in Monday at noon and sail out Wednesday afternoon. We'll also be looking for a brunch or lunch on Sunday after we return and before we head to the airport.
If you want higher end like Commander's and have at least "smart casual" attire, I would suggest Clancy's or Brigtsen's (or both!). For slightly more casual, but still with great food, I suggest Coquette or Gabrielle (which I haven't tried since it reopened, but always loved in the pre-K days). All of these recommendations require a taxi or Uber ride, but are well worth it. Plus, getting out of the more touristy area is a good idea in any event. Among these four recommendations, you definitely can have two great dinners. Note that Brigtsen's and Gabrielle are closed on Mondays.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by kchoya

I assume that you are staying Downtown since you are taking a cruise. With that in mind, here are some nearby recommendations.
Bayona
Balise
Meril
St. James Cheese
Cochon
Brennan’s for Sunday brunch, if you have time and the money. The renovation is fantastic.
Also, if you want to do a little grocery shopping for your cruise, you can’t go wrong at the Rouse’s supermarket in the Warehouse District.

If you want to venture outside of the downtown/FQ area, here are some other suggestions.
Gautreau’s
Bistro Daisy
La Petite Grocery
Boucherie
DTB
Bar Frances (good food, not really what I would call a bar)
High Hat Cafe

​​​​​​​I hope you enjoy your visit and thanks for coming to New Orleans.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
High Hat Cafe
High Hat Cafe would be my choice for Sunday. It's not fancy. There's no jazz trio to entertain you while you eat. It's just a good, inexpensive, super casual locals spot serving great food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.