Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Old Dec 21, 13, 11:08 am

Looking back thru this thread, a few updates:

Brennan's Restaurant - now closed. Big family dispute. Relegated to the dustbin of history.

Blue Plate Cafe - closed

McClure's BBQ - has a permanent location now

http://www.mccluresbarbecue.com
Old Dec 21, 13, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Thanks, guys. We looked at the options, and we will probably go with Preservation Hall. They have several shows per day, and are all-ages (you were right about HoB, only some of the shows are all-ages).

We'll arrive at MSY on the 27th, in the evening around 5:00. I think we're looking at one of the Saturday evening shows at Preservation Hall (the Preservation Hall band will play that night).

We're still looking for good restaurants to dine at for Friday and Saturday (there are so many that doing an online search is overwhelming, we don't even know where to start looking). Breakfast, lunch, and dinner idea would be greatly appreciated (especially since the Marriott doesn't have complimentary breakfast; we could probably pay the same or less for breakfast elsewhere and get a much better meal).
Old Dec 21, 13, 12:55 pm

In this thread are more than enough recommendations for your needs without having to do any wide internet search. I'd suggest that you look at posts # 2,27,32,62 & 65 for starters. Throw in Cafe du Monde for breakfast or a late night snack.

Also, for the kids, try the aquarium and/or the insectarium, both of which are spitting distance from the hotel. (Insectarium has a café where you can try the "cuisine". LOL!)

Last edited by FLYMSY; Dec 21, 13 at 1:03 pm
Old Dec 21, 13, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
In this thread are more than enough recommendations for your needs without having to do any wide internet search. I'd suggest that you look at posts # 2,27,32,62 & 65 for starters. Throw in Cafe du Monde for breakfast or a late night snack.

Also, for the kids, try the aquarium and/or the insectarium, both of which are spitting distance from the hotel. (Insectarium has a café where you can try the "cuisine". LOL!)
Okay, I'll go back and look at them again. I was browsing through them last night but was pretty tired after a long day of travel.
You said our hotel was considered to be Downtown (I'm guessing that's the CBD?), and we were close to the FQ? I don't know anything about all the districts, where they are, and how to get around. Thanks again.

Last edited by brocklee9000; Dec 21, 13 at 1:35 pm
Old Dec 21, 13, 2:01 pm

The CBD is directly across Canal St. from your hotel. The Warehouse District is contiguous to the CBD and starts at the upriver side of Poydras St. Everything in the FQ, CBD & WD is no more than a 20-30 minute walk from your hotel. Since the FQ is directly behind your hotel, it should only take you 2 minutes to enter the FQ. And, only 2 minutes to cross Canal St. to get into the heart of the CBD. From Canal St., it should only take an additional 5 minute walk to Poydras St to get into the WD. It will be extremely easy to navigate once you look at a map and get here.

As a native New Orleanian, we use Downtown & CBD interchangeably. When I was growing up here, we never used the term CBD, that's a more recent (20+yrs?) term.
Old Dec 21, 13, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by brocklee9000 View Post
Okay, I'll go back and look at them again. I was browsing through them last night but was pretty tired after a long day of travel.
You said our hotel was considered to be Downtown (I'm guessing that's the CBD?), and we were close to the FQ? I don't know anything about all the districts, where they are, and how to get around. Thanks again.
There's some disagreement on whether the French Quarter includes the block between Canal and Iberville where the Marriott is located. But the hotel is right on the boundary, one way or the other. On the map below, the FQ is in green. The Marriott is on the edge of the green area, right across Canal St from where the two purple bus lines intersect it.

The area to the left of the French Quarter is Downtown, also called the CBD. In particular, the area between Carondelet (green streetcar line) and the the River has a lot of restaurants; if you see references to the Warehouse District or the Convention Center area, those are right in there.

Anything between highway 90 (red) and the far end of the Quarter is pretty walkable.
Old Dec 24, 13, 3:21 pm

Wow, thanks so much y'all! For entertainment, I think we're going to check out Preservation Hall. The only all-ages show on Saturday was some karaoke thing, so we decided to pass on it, and will try to get standing-room tickets at PH.

For dining, we're looking at either Cochon or Butcher one of the nights. I'm guessing the difference is that Butcher is mostly sandwiches? Also, I'm looking at Bennachin for another evening. Have any of you been there or heard about it? It got 3 fleurs on nomenu.com, and I really would like to take my family there. It sounds like they have a good selection of authentic Creole food, and I lived in West Africa for several years and I think it would be a treat to introduce my family to authentic cuisine from Africa, as well as the Creole food that was inspired from the region as well.
We'll probably find a good po' boy shop for lunch, and look for a nearby cafe for breakfast. Thanks again for your help. That map was especially nice, it outlines the districts and public transportation very clearly.
Old Jan 13, 14, 6:53 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Had a couple of days in New Orleans with Mrs S between Xmas and NY. First time there, but loved it. Have visited a lot of the US over the years, but think this town has to have consistently the best food in the country.

Despite only being there a couple of days we managed to do:

Herbsaint for dinner. Excellent cooking, nice space, good service - probably the highlight for us.

Coquette for lunch. The smoked catfish was fantastic. We also had a small plate of carrots that were incredible (and yes, I never though that I'd be saying that about carrots). I somewhat stupidly had a burger which was fine, but probably doesn't really highlight what they do best.

Patois for dinner. Food was good, but service a little patchy. I know Americans are in general happy to be rushed through a meal, but this was way too fast and completely unecessary as there was no further sitting for our table. E.g. we ordered a half bottle of champagne as an aperitif and had barely started sipping it before the first course arrived. When we asked the waitress to slow down, she became a little snippy with us which spoiled the experience a little.

Le Petit Grocer for lunch. Worth it for the blue crab beignets alone.

Only disappointment for me was Cafe Du Monde. Coffee was terrible, the beignets so-so (and yes I know I'm likely to get scorned for saying that), and saw no reason to queue for half an hour or more.

All-in-all, though loved eating there and will definitely be going back.
Old Jan 13, 14, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt View Post
Had a couple of days in New Orleans with Mrs S between Xmas and NY. First time there, but loved it. Have visited a lot of the US over the years, but think this town has to have consistently the best food in the country.

Despite only being there a couple of days we managed to do:

Herbsaint for dinner. Excellent cooking, nice space, good service - probably the highlight for us.

Coquette for lunch. The smoked catfish was fantastic. We also had a small plate of carrots that were incredible (and yes, I never though that I'd be saying that about carrots). I somewhat stupidly had a burger which was fine, but probably doesn't really highlight what they do best.

Patois for dinner. Food was good, but service a little patchy. I know Americans are in general happy to be rushed through a meal, but this was way too fast and completely unecessary as there was no further sitting for our table. E.g. we ordered a half bottle of champagne as an aperitif and had barely started sipping it before the first course arrived. When we asked the waitress to slow down, she became a little snippy with us which spoiled the experience a little.

Le Petit Grocer for lunch. Worth it for the blue crab beignets alone.

Only disappointment for me was Cafe Du Monde. Coffee was terrible, the beignets so-so (and yes I know I'm likely to get scorned for saying that), and saw no reason to queue for half an hour or more.

All-in-all, though loved eating there and will definitely be going back.
We, too, passed on Cafe du Monde. The line was ridiculous. We found a Cafe Beignet a couple streets over, I think on Bourbon, that was much less busy and enjoyed the food.
Old Jan 23, 14, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA
We, too, passed on Cafe du Monde. The line was ridiculous. We found a Cafe Beignet a couple streets over, I think on Bourbon, that was much less busy and enjoyed the food.
Haha...yes, indeed. Cafe Beignet's business model is to be close to CdM and have a (slightly) similar color scheme, and soak up that overflow.

Not a huge culinary difference between the two...fried dough and powdered sugar doesn't change much. So don't feel like you missed out!
Old Jan 23, 14, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by DCA1983 View Post
Haha...yes, indeed. Cafe Beignet's business model is to be close to CdM and have a (slightly) similar color scheme, and soak up that overflow.

Not a huge culinary difference between the two...fried dough and powdered sugar doesn't change much. So don't feel like you missed out!
Someone on our flight to MSY recommended Cafe du Monde to my father, so he felt like it was imperative to go there. The Marriott concierge recommended Cafe Beignet, and that was probably the reason why. The one up on Bourbon (at least, I think it was Bourbon st) was nice, because it was a rainy rainy day, but we could still get off the street. There weren't droves of people all over, it was away from the loud bars, and there was a quaint little courtyard with statues of famous musicians from New Orleans. And I work in a bakery, so fried dough is nothing new to me
Old Jan 23, 14, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Someone on our flight to MSY recommended Cafe du Monde to my father, so he felt like it was imperative to go there. The Marriott concierge recommended Cafe Beignet, and that was probably the reason why. The one up on Bourbon (at least, I think it was Bourbon st) was nice, because it was a rainy rainy day, but we could still get off the street. There weren't droves of people all over, it was away from the loud bars, and there was a quaint little courtyard with statues of famous musicians from New Orleans. And I work in a bakery, so fried dough is nothing new to me
New Orleans Music Legends Park
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
A decent group of us are going to be there over the fast-approaching Mardi Gras weekend. Any suggestions of reasonably inexpensive places to try in the French Quarter or CBD area? Looking for local cuisine, the less formal the better.

Thank you!
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by canadian_golf_guy View Post
A decent group of us are going to be there over the fast-approaching Mardi Gras weekend. Any suggestions of reasonably inexpensive places to try in the French Quarter or CBD area? Looking for local cuisine, the less formal the better.

Thank you!
I think you may have a hard time getting a reservation for a large party this late in the game. How many people are you?
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:59 pm

Most of the inexpensive places don't take reservations. Make sure to pack a lot of Patience in your suitcase. Enjoy yourselves.

Edited to add: I don't have any recommendations because I stay as far away as possible from Downtown during this time. We eat at restaurants, but far away from the crowds. Don't expect to get great service in these areas because it is going to be a madhouse.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Feb 26, 14 at 1:05 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: