Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Old Oct 16, 13, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Anyone know a decent bar out by the airport that would be open late?
Bars? Yes

Decent? IMO, No

Or, what's your definition of decent?
Old Oct 16, 13, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Bars? Yes

Decent? IMO, No

Or, what's your definition of decent?
Hmm, good question. Able to have conversation at, feel safe at, decent selection of beer etc. I'm not too picky as long as it's not a "you ain't from 'round here!" type place.
Old Oct 17, 13, 6:42 am

I'll stick with my original response. Other than that, BYOB - bring your own beer.
Old Oct 17, 13, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I'll be in New Orleans briefly overnight in December. A friend wants to join me for a late drink but the bar at the MSY Hilton where I'm staying closes at 11 and she won't be there til 11:30. Anyone know a decent bar out by the airport that would be open late?
This place claims to be "always open."
Old Oct 17, 13, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
This place claims to be "always open."
And yet, according to their website they close at 10 PM
Old Oct 17, 13, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
And yet, according to their website they close at 10 PM
You may be looking at the wrong website. There are several bars/restaurants in New Orleans by that name. I'd give them a call.
Old Oct 17, 13, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
You may be looking at the wrong website. There are several bars/restaurants in New Orleans by that name. I'd give them a call.
Oh hey so I did, that was dumb of me. This one might work fine, thanks for the suggestion ^
Old Dec 18, 13, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

N.O. Dining Report:

Got in on a train yesterday about 3 and went to Felix's. My Dad had a half dozen blackened oysters and a half dozen on the half shell. He'd never had the blackened ones before and said they were amazing. I went with fried alligator which was good, though frankly if I wasn't told it was alligator I wouldn't have known. He had the sampler of jambalaya, etouffee and red beans and rice while I just had jambalaya. All excellent of course. Oh and I had my first Hurricane, seemed harmless but I could see how they could easily sneak up on you.

We walked over to Cafe du Monde afterward for beignets and Cafe Au Lait which was a lot of fun. Beautiful time of year to be in NOLA.
Old Dec 18, 13, 8:29 pm

I'd like to clear up a couple of your points so that no one in the future will be confused.

There is no "train" that will take you to Felix's. I'm assuming that you mean that you took a streetcar and got off on Canal St. and walked a block into the FQ to get to Felix's.

In our cooking, there is a difference between "blackened" and "char-grilled/char-broiled". Oysters would not stand up to true "blackening". Your father had the char-grilled oysters. Next time try them at Drago's.

I'm glad y'all had a nice time here and thanks for visiting our city.
Old Dec 18, 13, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, by "train" I mean just that. We arrived on the City of New Orleans into the New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal at 3 PM and then took a cab over to Felix's, though I do see why that might be confusing.

I also didn't realize blackened were the same as char-grilled, and now that I look at the menu it says char-grilled...where did I come up with blackened I wonder? Thanks for clearing things up though.
Old Dec 19, 13, 7:34 am

Now, I understand about the train thing. BTW, how was the experience on the City of New Orleans?

Blackened and char-grilled are 2 different things. Blackened is usually reserved for fish and meat and frequently uses some very spicy spices. Chef Paul Prudhomme is the one who really popularized "blackened" dishes (in the 80s??), starting with blackened redfish, I believe.

Edited to add:
Correcting an error in dates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Prudhomme

And, this on the oysters:

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od...ledoysters.htm

Last edited by FLYMSY; Dec 19, 13 at 7:47 am
Old Dec 19, 13, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done seven long distance trains and the CONO is the worst of them. Now, the last hour coming into New Orleans through the bayous and around Lake Pontchartrain is amazing but before that there's little worth seeing (save Jackson, MS). Unless your idea of a good time is looking at a lot of trailer parks that is. I'd recommend the Crescent from New York/Washington over the CONO.
Old Dec 20, 13, 7:30 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Staying in New Orleans for a few days next weekend before our family departs on a cruise. I'm not familiar with any of the parts of downtown or their nicknames. We'll be staying at the Marriott on Canal street, which looks to be on the border of what I think y'all call the French Quarter, and some other district. I'm totally unfamiliar with the area. We'd want to find some good places that are very close (preferably walking distance, since we're flying into MSY and will have no car). And slightly off-topic, but any good jazz clubs or other music clubs in the area, especially that would be friendly for minors (traveling with a 15 year old)?
Old Dec 20, 13, 2:09 pm

The French Quarter begins on Iberville St. which is the street directly behind your hotel, technically, on the downriver side of Iberville. We'd say that you're staying Downtown.

Some kid friendly music clubs fairly near your hotel:

Jeremy Davenport's at the Ritz Carlton

Preservation Hall

Palm Court Jazz Cafe

House of Blues

Others will be along soon with other suggestions.
Old Dec 21, 13, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
The French Quarter begins on Iberville St. which is the street directly behind your hotel, technically, on the downriver side of Iberville. We'd say that you're staying Downtown.

Some kid friendly music clubs fairly near your hotel:

Jeremy Davenport's at the Ritz Carlton

Preservation Hall

Palm Court Jazz Cafe

House of Blues

Others will be along soon with other suggestions.
There are three separate performance rooms at the HOB, and almost all of the shows at the two bigger ones are 21+. Most of the shows in the restaurant ("Voodoo Garden") are all ages. If the event is ticketed, the ticketing page will show the age restrictions.

In general, it's harder to find all-ages shows than you might think. Besides concerns about alcohol, many venues are bars that have gaming machines (slots), and that may also preclude letting minors in.

brocklee9000, if you let us know what day(s) you're in town, I might be able to offer more specific recommendations.

As far as dining, you can walk from your hotel to anywhere in the French Quarter in about 20 minutes or less; if you cross Canal St, the same length walk will also get you to most of the downtown/Central Business District. So there are a huge number of excellent and notable restaurants in that range. Let us know the cuisine, ambiance, and price range you'd like, and suggestions will follow.

Last edited by swag; Dec 21, 13 at 12:21 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: