FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1012790-new-orleans-restaurants-recent-reviews-recommendations.html)

Blumie Sep 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 19326210)
Just had breakfast at Elizabeth's in Bywater. Excellent. Praline bacon, fried grit cakes, boudin balls, callas, duck waffle, etc.

http://www.elizabethsrestaurantnola.com/

Elizabeth's certainly is a crowd pleaser, but count me as a nay. Candy coated bacon just doesn't do it for me, and I haven't loved anything else I've had there.

swag Sep 18, 2012 9:24 am

The best croissant I ever had came from Croissant d'Or in the FQ.

ThirdBase Jan 8, 2013 10:31 pm

Seeking New Orleans restaurant suggestions..

Heading to New Orleans next week for an overnight biz trip. Haven't been there in several years, and am looking for a good current restaurant suggestion for dinner, and the following day breakfast, (possibly a lunch, too, time permitting.) Have been to Commander's in the past for dinner, and enjoyed it.

swag Jan 9, 2013 12:10 pm

Any preferences for cuisine, atmosphere, neighborhood, or price range?

FLYMSY Jan 9, 2013 12:49 pm

Look at page 4 of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...dations-4.html

Other than that, I second swag's questions.

ThirdBase Jan 9, 2013 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by swag (Post 20011220)
Any preferences for cuisine, atmosphere, neighborhood, or price range?

Pretty open as far as cuisine goes. Love seafood, a good steak, have enjoyed the little Cajun/Creole food I've had in the past, love a good breakfast, too. Don't mind paying more for better quality food/service. Probably staying in the French Quarter, so restaurants in that area are prob. the best option since I am only in town for one night, possibly two. Any good hotel recommendations?

ThirdBase Jan 9, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks, will check out that thread too.

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 20011493)
Look at page 4 of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...dations-4.html

Other than that, I second swag's questions.

FLYMSY Jan 10, 2013 9:22 am

I don't stay in FQ hotels very often, however, my top 3 choices would be the Royal Orleans, the Monteleone or the Royal Sonesta.

FQ restaurants:

Since only one night for dinner, I would probably choose Bayona or Stella. Maybe, G.W. Fins for seafood.

I'm not suggesting Galatoire's or Antoine's (although I like both) because, IMO, it's better to go with a local who has a "relationship" with these places.

Another question: how many people for dinner?

ThirdBase Jan 10, 2013 10:22 am

Dinner will hopefully be for two:D, however, the other meals I will more than likely be on my own.
Much appreciate all your helpful suggestions.

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 20017598)
I don't stay in FQ hotels very often, however, my top 3 choices would be the Royal Orleans, the Monteleone or the Royal Sonesta.

FQ restaurants:

Since only one night for dinner, I would probably choose Bayona or Stella. Maybe, G.W. Fins for seafood.

I'm not suggesting Galatoire's or Antoine's (although I like both) because, IMO, it's better to go with a local who has a "relationship" with these places.

Another question: how many people for dinner?

swag Jan 10, 2013 10:33 am

I'll agree, Bayona sounds like a great dinner choice.

For a solo lunch, my suggestion would be to grab a spot at the bar at Drago's (in the Hilton), order up a dozen chargrilled oysters and maybe a dozen raw. Some crusty bread and a cold beverage and you'll be more than satisfied.

JerseyJoe Jan 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks for all the updated information (Almost got caught posting a similar thread before reading what was available.)
Mrs JJ and I are headed to a conference next Thursday -- just might have to skip some meetings to get that barbeque oysters at Dragos!

FLYMSY Jan 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyJoe (Post 20020717)
?... just might have to skip some meetings to get that barbeque oysters at Dragos!

Not to be too nitpicky BUT, there is a difference between BBQ oysters and chargrilled. Drago's is famous for chargrilled oysters and are probably responsible for the popularity of chargrilled oysters here.

I hope you have a great visit to our city and we appreciate your visiting us.

brewdog11 Jan 14, 2013 10:04 pm

I just had a stellar brunch at Stanley, which is located at the intersection of Chartres and St. Anne (right on the border of Jackson Square in the French Quarter). It's owned by the same people who own Stella, albeit significantly less expensive. I'd recommend breakfast/brunch here.

Brennan family restaurants (Mr. B's, Brennan's, Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse, Red Fish Grill, etc.) are good places to eat. Brennan restaurants can be a bit touristy, though.

Commander's Palace is certainly worth a visit, although it is very expensive. Since you've already been, I'd go somewhere else.

Pascal's Manale is another one of my favorites. Great, Louisiana-focused restaurant.

How much are you willing to spend?

lerasp May 16, 2013 10:28 am

bumping the thread - we will be in Nola for our anniversary in June. What restaurant would you suggest in FQ (on nearby areas) that would be suitable for a nice dinner that's appropriate for such occasion. We are early 30s, and not looking for anything too formal. But good food (prefer more local than italian or similar), not too roudy and simething nicer than a local oyster bar. We are from NYC and this will be our first visit to Nola. We'll be staying at W FQ.

njxbean May 16, 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by lerasp (Post 20761241)
bumping the thread - we will be in Nola for our anniversary in June. What restaurant would you suggest in FQ (on nearby areas) that would be suitable for a nice dinner that's appropriate for such occasion. We are early 30s, and not looking for anything too formal. But good food (prefer more local than italian or similar), not too roudy and simething nicer than a local oyster bar. We are from NYC and this will be our first visit to Nola. We'll be staying at W FQ.

I would say Dante's would fit your bill. Its not as fancy as commander's palace and very good. Jacques imo's, k-paul, cochon would also be good bets.