Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by controller1
I think Drago's is certainly the best for chargrilled oysters but for everything else on the menu I find them just about average. Anyway, if you are already in NOLA proper just go to the Drago's at the Hilton Riverside and get yourself a drink and some chargrilled oysters for an appetizer and then head to a better restaurant for dinner..
That is the impressive thing about Drago's. They have consistency across their restaurants (there is one in Jackson, MS). Other places where I have had great chargrilled oysters, it seems to vary, likely due to the person cooking them.
And I agree that get the oysters only there.
controller1 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:30 pm

I tried a restaurant for the first time last night - Red’s Chinese. It was very, very good. The service was good, the staff is friendly, and the food is outstanding. I had the Craw Rangoons and the General’s Chicken.

This unique restaurant is a hole in the wall kind of place, on the opposite end of the spectrum from a fine dining establishment. It’s located in the Bywater area of the city and not easy to spot. At night, look for a large, illuminated red square “sign”, without any lettering on it. Red’s is across St. Claude Ave. from the Saturn Bar, if you need another landmark.

If you have the opportunity to go there, I highly recommend it. It is not a typical Chinese restaurant - much more on the creative side.

https://www.redschinese.com/
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I tried a restaurant for the first time last night - Red’s Chinese. It was very, very good. The service was good, the staff is friendly, and the food is outstanding. I had the Craw Rangoons and the General’s Chicken.

This unique restaurant is a hole in the wall kind of place, on the opposite end of the spectrum from a fine dining establishment. It’s located in the Bywater area of the city and not easy to spot. At night, look for a large, illuminated red square “sign”, without any lettering on it. Red’s is across St. Claude Ave. from the Saturn Bar, if you need another landmark.

If you have the opportunity to go there, I highly recommend it. It is not a typical Chinese restaurant - much more on the creative side.

https://www.redschinese.com/
Those familiar with Mission Chinese in NYC and SF will find the concept at Red’s familiar, although it’s far less tragically hip than Mission Chinese.

Try the kung pao pastrami on your next visit!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Quick list of the places we drank & ate during our trip a couple weeks ago - thanks to those here who gave recs! Some of my bar recs go back to to the show Best Bars in America that was on Esquire network (neither exist anymore...)

Fri: Lunch@ Willa Jean - really enjoyed! Had bbq shrimp toast and crawfish roll, a couple of beers. We ate early (we were up super early for our flights) but it was starting to get crowded as we left around noon.
[we then did a grocery run across the street at Rouse's - I could have stayed there. Or eaten lunch there!]
Happy hour: Cane & Table, Broussard's, Napoleon House, Erin Rose (to-go frozen irish coffee, size small - a nice palate cleanser from the heartier cocktails I'd been enjoying!) We had nibbles at Broussard's - fondue frites and something smoked fish. Nice! We wanted to meet friends who had just arrived, tried to get in at Domenica but line was too long. Ended up dining across the street at Legacy Kitchen oyster bar & tap - it was ok but just....I didn't eat, just took everyone else's leftovers ;-)

Sat: Breakfast at Two Chicks cafe on the way to the Convention center to set up. Nice meal, imagine this gets crowded on cruise ship turnover days. Lunch with our friends at Turkey & Wolf after we spent the morning working. They had a rental car and we all squeezed in, ate outside despite 5 drops of rain. Fantastic sandwiches! Nice drinks & beers too. We then narrowly avoided a street shooting (seriously, the shooting at Magazine & St. Joseph happened just after we turned left on Magazine - we had to run & take cover. It was otherworldy and bizarre...) and we carried on into the WWII museum. Spent a couple hours looking around and went for happy hour at American Sector. We might have had more food later that night but I cannot remember and don't have a receipt....

Sun: Walked over to Surrey's Cafe for an amazing breakfast. Then we walked to the Garden District and did a bit of a DIY tour (using an annotated google map I found online) and from there walked over to NOLA brewing and had a couple flights to recover from all that walking ;-) Then we took Lyft back to the WWII museum to see what we'd missed the day before (2nd day tickets are only $6 with proof of purchase of previous tickets). I think we skipped lunch. Had an early dinner at Domenica and it was really nice.

Mon: breakfast at the hotel, lunch at the convention center (grocery salads from Rouses ;-) and then happy hour at NOSH. I had oysters and wine, husband had a beer that was NOT the Miller lite ;-) On Tues we went to Johnny Sanchez for dinner with our friends - one of the few places we could get a reservation because our party was 9 people. Taco Tuesday - was very nice! After, one of my college roommates happened to be in New Orleans for work too, so we met at World of Beer. Had a local flight while waiting for her to arrive (husband had a hoppy flight, I think). Wed I don't know what we did for dinner....After the show ended, we had a couple beers and some fried shrimp at the Riverwalk, sitting outside watching river traffic.....

Can't wait to go back and eat more!!! I think the trade show is there again in 2021.....
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie

Try the kung pao pastrami on your next visit!
Funny that you mentioned this. Exactly what the chef told me, along with a couple of other of his recommendations.

I sat at the counter by the kitchen and the chef and I had an interesting and extended conversation. After he told me that I should get the pastrami next time, I told him that I really like pastrami and that I was torn between ordering that or the General’s Chicken and, as I mentioned, I got the chicken. He then told me that he was doing a pop-up at his wife’s shop in Marigny on Sunday(today) - making and selling pastrami sandwiches and Bloody Marys. Wouldn’t be the Kung Pao pastrami, but his own special recipe and he also made a special pastrami infused vodka and Bloody Mary mix. He told me I should come and he wrote out his name, the date & time, on one of his wife’s shop’s promo cards.

I didn’t look at the promo card carefully until later, but, Oh, boy!! Her shop has to be the most unique, unexpected and unusual place to experience a pop-up food event. Ever!!! My wife and I went & it was a very “interesting” afternoon! Oh, and, btw, the food was delicious.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

Funny that you mentioned this. Exactly what the chef told me, along with a couple of other of his recommendations.

I sat at the counter by the kitchen and the chef and I had an interesting and extended conversation. After he told me that I should get the pastrami next time, I told him that I really like pastrami and that I was torn between ordering that or the General’s Chicken and, as I mentioned, I got the chicken. He then told me that he was doing a pop-up at his wife’s shop in Marigny on Sunday(today) - making and selling pastrami sandwiches and Bloody Marys. Wouldn’t be the Kung Pao pastrami, but his own special recipe and he also made a special pastrami infused vodka and Bloody Mary mix. He told me I should come and he wrote out his name, the date & time, on one of his wife’s shop’s promo cards.

I didn’t look at the promo card carefully until later, but, Oh, boy!! Her shop has to be the most unique, unexpected and unusual place to experience a pop-up food event. Ever!!! My wife and I went & it was a very “interesting” afternoon! Oh, and, btw, the food was delicious.
Wait, what was the shop?!?!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:29 pm

We went to Melt today that is off the beaten path and I think is well worth a try, especially if you like grilled cheese sandwiches. I can vouch for the Melt-a-Letta , the Melt and the Mama’s Melt. Also, the fries were very good -thin cut and crispy, one order is definitely enough for two people. All the sandwiches come with a small side salad. Very casual.

The restaurant is one block off of Tulane Ave., on Banks St.

http://www.melt-nola.com/wp-content/...Sandwiches.pdf

Directly across Banks St. from Melt is Fharmacy, another restaurant that is worth a shot.

http://fharmacyrestaurant.com/

Both of these are recommended for those who want to get away from the tourist areas.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 17, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Best turtle soup?

I've never had turtle soup so looking forward to trying it. What are the top 2 or 3 places?

Is it a cream/milk base or tomato? Maybe chicken broth? Thx
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
I've never had turtle soup so looking forward to trying it. What are the top 2 or 3 places?

Is it a cream/milk base or tomato? Maybe chicken broth? Thx
if you see a restaurant offering turtle soup with any of the “bases” that you mentioned, RUN LIKE HELL! While there is tomato in turtle soup, it’s not the main thing. Commander’s and Brennan’s would be two of my top choices.

https://nola.eater.com/2015/1/26/791...manders-palace

https://nomenu.com/?p=4304

Turtle Soup | Brennan's Restaurant : A New Orleans Tradition Since 1946
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you see a restaurant offering turtle soup with any of the “bases” that you mentioned, RUN LIKE HELL! While there is tomato in turtle soup, it’s not the main thing. Commander’s and Brennan’s would be two of my top choices.

Turtle Soup | Brennan's Restaurant : A New Orleans Tradition Since 1946
​​​​​​​
So it's a beef stock. @:-) Sounds yummy. Thanks for the links!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:09 pm

So it's a beef stock. @:-) Sounds yummy. Thanks for the links!
It is yummy, IMHO! Especially, with the sherry. ^ You’re welcome.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA

Turtle Soup Brennan's Restaurant : A New Orleans Tradition Since 1946
​​​​​​​Not Ralph's?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jg70124
Not Ralph's?
Since Ralph Brennan owns Ralph’s on the Park and Brennan’s....

​​​​​​​
However, within the next 3 weeks I’ll be able to compare Ralph’s and Commander’s.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since Ralph Brennan owns Ralph’s on the Park and Brennan’s....

​​​​​​​
However, within the next 3 weeks I’ll be able to compare Ralph’s and Commander’s.
Can you do this w/in the next week? We'll be there next Tuesday.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:57 pm

Can you do this w/in the next week? We'll be there next Tuesday.
Unfortunately, no can do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.