Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Old Nov 16, 09, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
I'm sure it's changed hands since then, but man was it outstanding in 1990.
It's changed hands a few times since then. Way different menu, but still good.
Old Jan 9, 10, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by DallasBill View Post
John Besh's (Luke, Restaurant August) new Italian place, Domenica, in the Roosevelt Hotel.
1/8/10 - Review by the Times-Picayune food critic of Domenica

http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/ind...aya_bring.html

With that said, front of the house staff is getting quite a few negative reviews by locals, but I'd chalk it up, for now, to the restaurant being new. Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to doing so at some point.
Old Jan 12, 10, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Interesting. Six of us (4 family locals) were there at Thanksgiving weekend and had an outstanding meal. Oxtail ragu rocked. Pizza's are right out of Italy. Salumi plate was wonderful. And many, many Italian wines that I had never seen before.

Of course, the hotel, all decked out with it's hallway of Christmas, was over-the-top, too!
Old Jan 19, 10, 9:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
In New Orleans in Dec. and really enjoyed Patois for Sunday brunch and Coops Place for more casual dinner. At Patois had the grits and shrimp with a crab cake appetizer and some of the best blueberry muffins. They source as much as doable locally and make from scratch much. At Coops Place...this is a small dive bar / cafe in the FQ with some great Cajun food. There is a friendly vibe at the close tables. We had people at the next table telling us what is good and passing bites off their plate for us to try. We had the sampler plate to make sure we didn't miss out and the appetizer with 3 fried items...shrimp, oysters and crawfish tails....some of the best fried oysters I've had...sweet and briny.

Frenchie Flyer
Old Jan 31, 10, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
I was in NOLA for a meeeting a few months back. Checked into my hotel in the morning and set of looking for a Deli I knew of for lunch. I found myself walking past the front door of Emeril's. Looked at the menu and they had a great lunch deal. Fixed price 3 course luch with multiple choices and quite resonable ($25 sticks in my mind)... I had an excellent salad, great entree and a fantastic desert. Great value for the money. Nice choices. Great service. I enjoyed the experience.
Old Feb 1, 10, 1:07 pm

On a local show a couple of days ago, the chef from Emeril's was on, cooking and talking about the lunch special deal they have now - 3 courses for $19.50 (plus tax & tip). This is probably what you experienced.

http://www.emerils.com/restaurant/1/...ans/lunch-menu

I had dinner on Saturday night, for the first time, at Boucherie on Jeannette St. in the Carrollton area. For those who don't know, this restaurant is owned by Chef Nathanial Zimet, who also owns the Que Crawl truck, also known as "The Purple Truck". You can read about it here:

http://quecrawl.com/

But, on to Boucherie. Chef Zimet started the Purple Truck after Katrina and followed up with Boucherie about a year or so ago. Boucherie is in the space formerly occupied by Iris, which has moved to the French Quarter and very good in its own right.

From Boucherie's menu, we started with Boudin Balls with a Garlic Aioli and they were incredibly delicious. We followed that with the Baby Greens Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes (salad is salad) and the Collard Greens & Grit Fries. Let me tell you, the Greens & Grit Fries were out of this world - very flavorful. I'd order this dish again in a heartbeat.

For entrees, we had the Smoked Wagyu Beef Brisket and the Pulled Pork Cake, both of which were very good. Make sure to try the Garlicky Parmesan Fries.

Incredibly, we ordered dessert, the house made Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and a serving of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding. I'm not a big fan of Mint C.C. ice cream, but this was the best I've ever had. It tasted like there was fresh mint in it, not that nasty artificial mint flavoring. Also, the wine list was inexpensive, with the priciest red being about $38/bottle. Service was very good during our visit.

I heartily recommend this place and strongly suggest reservations, unless you don't mind eating at the bar. As I mentioned above, this was our first visit to Boucherie, but our third attempt to get in.

http://www.boucherie-nola.com/
Old Feb 2, 10, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
On a local show a couple of days ago, the chef from Emeril's was on, cooking and talking about the lunch special deal they have now - 3 courses for $19.50 (plus tax & tip). This is probably what you experienced.

http://www.emerils.com/restaurant/1/...ans/lunch-menu

/[/url]
Yes I am sure that you are right. Thanks....
Old Mar 8, 10, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA CK / LT PLT, Starwood GLD, Avis Pres Club, Hertz GLD
Was there a couple weeks ago and ate at:

Somewhat Expensive
Nola - front desk is a bit cold and off-putting, but waitstaff are friendly. Just don't expect them to remember special requests or to refill your beverage consistently. Food, thankfully, was very redeeming. I'm not usually a fan of Emeril, but Nola is a good mix of contemporary and classic, with lots of strong flavors. Also, it's surprisingly affordable considering its location and the reputation of its owner. $50-$65 per person

Arnauds - Old school New Orleans. Solid choice for steak and seafood, though the recipes are a bit tired and uninspiring. Great banana foster. Very attentive, very friendly. $60 - $70 per person

Brennans - Another N.O. legend, but IMHO very overpriced and not worth the hype. Typical new orleans steak, seafood, turtle soup, etc... per person. $70 - $80

Bacco - A Brennan property, but much more reasonable. Really good Italian food. $40 - $50 per person

Less Expensive

Crescent City Brewing - mediocre at best, not worth visiting

Yo Mamas - An eclectic bar / small restaurant on a side street in the French Quarter. Known for their hamburgers, which were quite tasty.
Old Apr 23, 10, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA1P, AA, Marriott Silver
Just returned from 5 day trip - here's a few comments.

1. LaBoca in Warehouse District - Argentinian style steak house (NOT Fogo de chau style, but intersting cuts like bottom sirloin, flank, hangers, etc., all marinated in gralic and spices) Outstanding wine list full of great Malbec's. Neighborhood joint, small but I did see some groups.

2. Late lunch and cold beers? In Lower Garden on 3200 block of Magazine, is Bulldog Tavern which has hundreds of great beers including 50(+/-?) on TAP! Get a shady patio seat and send the youngest across the street for 3 or 4 pounds of crawfish to slurp on. (Go back to hotel, take a nap and then go to #1 above for dinner!)

3. Emeril's NoLa is still great. You have to try it. especially the pork chop. period.

4. Oldies but goodies - Cafe le Monde after dinner for beignets, Mother's for a ham sandwich (get the debris), Brennan's Bourbon House for oysters and bourbon, and Commanders for Sunday brunch.

5. Cuvee' in the CBD was very good especially if you love fois gras, confit and breast of "the Duck."

6. FLYMSY's list was great.
Old May 2, 10, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Marigny Brasserie: Uh-oh

Heads up - the Marigny Brasserie has completely changed their menu sometime in the last few months. They used to be a classic New Orleans fine dining place. Now they're a more generic casual dining place with menu sections for "Hamburgers", "Italian Specialties", and "New Orleans Favorites". (Their website still has the old menu and pictures of the old food).
Old May 3, 10, 6:53 am

Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
I lived around the corner from this place 15-20 years ago, and went there frequently with family and friends. I'm sure it's changed hands since then, but man was it outstanding in 1990. They did an especially nice grillades and grits for Sunday brunch, as I recall.
I just returned from Jazz Fest and got a chance to get to Dante's. Had one of the best meals i have ever had. which says alot considering i dine out like 4 times a week.

Everything was outstanding. We tried almost every appetizer. The Shrimp and grits was simply amazing! Calamari was the best Calamari i have ever had. Pork Belly and short rib outstanding. For entrees, the chicken under a brick is one of the best chicken dishes i have ever tasted! When you get to NOLA, please make time to visit Dante's. You will not be disappointed.
Old May 3, 10, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by njxbean View Post
I just returned from Jazz Fest and got a chance to get to Dante's. Had one of the best meals i have ever had. which says alot considering i dine out like 4 times a week.
I've always considered Dante's Kitchen to be a lesser known gem. Glad you enjoyed your meal there. Here are my JazzFest eating highlights:

Fiorella's -- The lines at Coop's, my favorite French Quarter dive, were out-of-control all week long (it clearly has been discovered!), so I had a couple of meals at Fiorella's, a block further down Decatur. Long considered one of the better fried chicken spots in New Orleans, I tried it and was fairly pleased. The rest of the menu probably should be avoided. The place does have the key advantages, however, of outdoor dining (a few small tables on the sidewalk) and, usually, no waits.

Cuvee -- Love this place. Their shrimp napleon is like the best shrimp po'boy you've ever had. (The waiter loved that analogy!) Wonderful food. Wonderful service.

Emeril's -- Not generally a fan, but was enticed back by Sam Sifton's ravings in the NYTimes. As usual, I found it a good place for a fun group dinner, but the food generally is good, but not great.

Restaurant August -- Best meal of the week. Our entire table went for the four-course tasting menu and enjoyed it very much.

Elizabeth's -- Had a very good huevos rancheros, but I don't understand the raves this place gets. It's good and all, but I've never found it to be extraordinary. Maybe NOLA just is not a breakfast town. I used to enjoy the Blue Bird, but it's gone. Slim Goody's, like Elizabeth's, is good but not great. Can one find a great breakfast (not a fancy brunch, just breakfast) in NOLA?

Last edited by Blumie; May 3, 10 at 10:15 am
Old May 4, 10, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Can one find a great breakfast (not a fancy brunch, just breakfast) in NOLA?
http://www.therubyslippercafe.net/
One of the HOT new places - getting great reviews.

http://www.refuelcafe.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/riccobono-pa...fe-new-orleans
(They don't have their own website)

http://www.oakstreetcafe.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/huevos-new-orleans

http://www.yelp.com/biz/coulis-new-orleans
(The old Bluebird location)

I don't claim that all of these are "great", but they are all good or "better than good".

Btw, agree with you about Elizabeth's. I had a friend rave about the place, so we went. It was good, but I didn't see what all the hoopla was about. Friend agreed it wasn't as good as previous visits.

Late entries:

http://www.fathengrill.com/

Blue Plate Cafe:
http://www.zagat.com/Verticals/Prope...?VID=8&R=94073

Last edited by FLYMSY; May 7, 10 at 7:08 am Reason: add more restaurants
Old May 6, 10, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I love Mother's for breakfast.
Old May 7, 10, 6:05 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
There's a place on the corner of Chartres and Mandeville in the Marigny that does a pretty great breakfast. Used to be called "The Bakery", not sure what the name is now. Only open Thurs-Sun, I think.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: