Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Ate dinner at Luke last weekend and was very impressed by the food though the service was a little spotty. Despite calling and being assured they closed at 11, when my Dad and I arrived at 9:15 PM we were told they stopped seating tables at 10 so we'd have to sit at the bar. They also messed up my Dad's drink and didn't bring him half his food the first time.

Thankfully, the quality of the food made up for it. He had a dozen oysters and Dungness crab and I had a half dozen gulf shrimp and steak frittes. It was all delicious and they do a good cocktail so I'd gladly come back.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:00 am

Unfortunately, it's getting harder to find good waitstaff at restaurants. We've had phenomenal growth in the number of restaurants in NOLA, post-Katrina, which has made it harder for them to find staff. Hope they fixed your Dad's drink. Thanks for returning to New Orleans. We appreciate your visits.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Unfortunately, it's getting harder to find good waitstaff at restaurants. We've had phenomenal growth in the number of restaurants in NOLA, post-Katrina, which has made it harder for them to find staff. Hope they fixed your Dad's drink. Thanks for returning to New Orleans. We appreciate your visits.
It was great to be there, I always enjoy my visits. And yeah they did, they put an olive in his martini instead of a lemon peel. They were okay with making it again.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:20 am

my spouse and i just returned from a short conference in new orleans. i was glad i found this thread, made good use of the recommendations, and want to share our experiences.

felix's oyster house in FQ was by far the best dining experience we had. the oysters were huge, sweet, and not at all briny. but does anyone know why they are so sandy? our server gave us little cups (she said they were for horseradish sauce? never heard of that before), but we used them instead as little spittoons for all of the oyster grit. the etouffee and blackened alligator were great too.

another excellent recommendation was johnny's po boys. the line was line but went fast. i wonder if this place has a secret menu, since the printed menus and the menu over the kitchen were clearly incomplete: i did not see my spouse's alligator sausage or my crawfish po boy listed. we returned to pick up for for the flight home.

the night we arrived, we went to luke's. it was okay. nothing bad - in fact, the service was very good. but nothing extraordinary.

coop's tops many lists for best jambalaya. the place has the look, feel, and smell of a dive bar. the gumbo was actually better than the jambalaya.

since we got everywhere by walking, i have to ask? what's up with all of the broken crosswalk signals? many don't work at all, and i lost count of the ones that showed both "walk" and "don't walk" simultaneously.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Some recommendations from a local.

Outside the tourist route, Clancy's is the best in town and the favorite of many local friends.

The Company Burger is the best burger in town. If you are in the FQ, Port of Call is also excellent, and closer.

Dat Dog (2 locations) a great choice for any kind of weiner, and multiple TV's with sports.

The Rum House on Magazine Street is a unique caribbean-themed pace with a killer rum-based spicy bloody mary as well as awesome unique tacos.

Juan's Flying Burrito 2 locations, but Magazine our fave - great margaritas and the food always great.

boiled/fried seafood - Frankie and Johnny's on Arabella. A hole in the wall and don't stray from seafood there.

Chargrilled Oysers - Drago's

Last edited by Moderator2; Apr 4, 2015 at 10:27 pm Reason: Commercial intent
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
[QUOTE=osxanalyst;24617668]Some recommendations from a local.

Outside the tourist route, Clancy's is the best in town and the favorite of many local friends.

The Company Burger is the best burger in town. If you are in the FQ, Port of Call is also excellent, and closer.

Dat Dog (2 locations) a great choice for any kind of weiner, and multiple TV's with sports.

The Rum House on Magazine Street is a unique caribbean-themed pace with a killer rum-based spicy bloody mary as well as awesome unique tacos.

Juan's Flying Burrito 2 locations, but Magazine our fave - great margaritas and the food always great.

boiled/fried seafood - Frankie and Johnny's on Arabella. A hole in the wall and don't stray from seafood there.

Chargrilled Oysers - Drago's

Dat Dog is up to three locations (Magazine, Freret, Frenchmen). (I'll also note that I'm not a huge fan, although I'm in the minority and will admit that it is a fun place.)

Frankie & Johnny's I guess still can be described as a hole-in-the-wall, but not to the extent it was since it changed hands and was renovated (i.e., cleaned up!). It's a great place for crawfish.

Last edited by Moderator2; Apr 4, 2015 at 10:28 pm Reason: Link gone
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:32 pm

Have to disagree about Clancy's being the "best in town", whatever that means. Clancy's took a nosedive a couple of years ago and my last meal there was mediocre, at best.

(Stepping on soapbox)

I've always been amazed when someone declares some restaurant is the " best". IMO, unless you've eaten at EVERY restaurant in a particular city, then that person cannot credibly claim a specific restaurant as "best".

As much as my wife and I eat out here, there is no way that we'll be able to eat at all 1400+ restaurants in NOLA in our lifetime. We have our favorites, but I would never be so presumptuous as to declare one restaurant as being the absolute " best" here. There are just too many really good restaurants here to declare one as the best.

As for the burger scene, Company Burger is good, but I think Cowbell, Atomic, and Charcoal give it a run for the money. Probably, a few other places that I haven't tried yet, also, would. Therefore, since I haven't eaten a burger at every burger place in town, I can't say which is best.

(Stepping off soapbox)
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have to disagree about Clancy's being the "best in town", whatever that means. Clancy's took a nosedive a couple of years ago and my last meal there was mediocre, at best.

(Stepping on soapbox)

I've always been amazed when someone declares some restaurant is the " best". IMO, unless you've eaten at EVERY restaurant in a particular city, then that person cannot credibly claim a specific restaurant as "best".

As much as my wife and I eat out here, there is no way that we'll be able to eat at all 1400+ restaurants in NOLA in our lifetime. We have our favorites, but I would never be so presumptuous as to declare one restaurant as being the absolute " best" here. There are just too many really good restaurants here to declare one as the best.

As for the burger scene, Company Burger is good, but I think Cowbell, Atomic, and Charcoal give it a run for the money. Probably, a few other places that I haven't tried yet, also, would. Therefore, since I haven't eaten a burger at every burger place in town, I can't say which is best.

(Stepping off soapbox)
Totally agree with your soapbox rant.

That said, I've detected no such nosedive from Clancy's, and it remains one of my favorites. So here's my soapbox: I think a lot of times when people claim that a particular restaurant isn't as good as it used to be, it's because their own tastes have changed, not because of any discernible change in the restaurant itself. (I of course have no idea whether that is the case with you; this is just more of a general observation.) In New Orleans as much as or more than any other city, the restaurant scene has evolved so dramatically and in such a wonderful way in recent years, I could totally see one concluding that some old guard restaurant like Clancy's isn't what it once was. And it might just be that Clancy's is the same as it ever was, but perhaps your taste for it has been eclipsed by some of the many great newcomers. Anyhow, just a theory! (I think about this same phenomenon with respect to Emeril's. So many of us were such die hard fans when it first opened, and now no longer are. Did Emeril's go down hill or did we all just move on?)
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:50 pm

A big difference when you say that Clancy's is one of your favorites rather than the " best" in town. That I can go along with. I should have been a little more specific and said my last two meals there were mediocre. But, as you intimate, it could be that I've been dazzled by other restaurants.

Another example. Many people rave about Rue 127 and Carrollton Market. We had less than satisfying experiences, on several levels, there and won't be returning. I don't begrudge them their good reviews and wish them all the success in the world. But, that's the great thing about this city - so many good choices.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A big difference when you say that Clancy's is one of your favorites rather than the " best" in town. That I can go along with. I should have been a little more specific and said my last two meals there were mediocre. But, as you intimate, it could be that I've been dazzled by other restaurants.

Another example. Many people rave about Rue 127 and Carrollton Market. We had less than satisfying experiences, on several levels, there and won't be returning. I don't begrudge them their good reviews and wish them all the success in the world. But, that's the great thing about this city - so many good choices.
I'm totally with you. In fact the choices are so good -- and only getting better -- that I've been trying to wean myself off of the old places because I can't keep up with all of the new ones. I now have to regularly reference the Eater.com "heat map" and "Eater 38" map (among other sources) to keep track of all of the new places that I need to find time to get to.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I'm totally with you. In fact the choices are so good -- and only getting better -- that I've been trying to wean myself off of the old places because I can't keep up with all of the new ones. I now have to regularly reference the Eater.com "heat map" and "Eater 38" map (among other sources) to keep track of all of the new places that I need to find time to get to.
I'm in agreement with you here. With all of the new restaurants opening, I don't know how it can be sustained, but, for now, I say, Keep 'em coming. It's exciting to see the creativity happening in some of the new places.

Anyway, I've made my shortlist of new places that I have to try soon. Hope you enjoy some new places on your next visit, Blumie.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:46 pm

I rarely get into town but in north shore I have enjoyed some plates at Acme consistently for years; iirc they have a FQ location.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Woofdog123
I rarely get into town but in north shore I have enjoyed some plates at Acme consistently for years; iirc they have a FQ location.
I understand your uncertainty about whether they have a FQ location as it's relatively new, having opened only 105 years ago.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:13 pm

I understand your uncertainty about whether they have a FQ location as it's relatively new, having opened only 105 years ago.
Thanks for the chuckle, Blumie.

And just in case anyone needs to find the nearest Acme:

http://www.acmeoyster.com/locations
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:44 pm

lol yes I just never get into the quarter (very rarely across the causeway at all except MSY), but their menu makes a point of not letting the literate diner escape this knowledge I will be at Acme within an hour, happily

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.