Santiago first time female traveller overnight layover

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Santiago first time female traveller overnight layover

Hi

My 19 year old sister is heading upto Peru to do a 3 month volunteering course in an orphanage. Because of flight schedules she will end up having to overnight in Santiago, it was either there or Lima and I advised that Santiago would be the safer of the two. She has travelled overseas before that has always been either with us or she has been met at the other end by family, so this will be her first time in a foreign city alone and my parents are a little worried.

Can anyone recommend a decent 3 star hotel in Santiago in a safe area (I was there 4 years ago and stayed in Las Condes which seemed good), preferably one that will either have a shuttle service to/from the airport or a reliable car service if the hotel doesn't have one. I don't think she will be doing much exploring as she'll probably be too tired when she arrives but it would be good if the neighbourhood is busy enough that she can at least go for a walk and stretch her legs after near on 19 hours travelling.

Thanks
bensyd
Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Anything in Providencia or Las Condes would be fine. The Four Points is one of the better Four Points anywhere and is less $ than the fancy majors. To get to the hotel, she should just get a Transvip or Tur private car (near the customs exit) and just ask the hotel desk for an airport car service for the return. (That will cost a bit extra, but super safe, and available right away.)
Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:40 am
Community Director Emerita

Eastbay1K gives solid advice.

There is a new Holiday Inn near the airport. If all she wants is an overnight stay, I'd choose that as it is a reasonably long trip into Santiago. She would save time and transport costs. Check this link for other airport hotels.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:52 am

I third the advice of Eastbay1K.

But I take issue with the next post's comment that it is a long trip into Santiago. On a work day after the main rush, it is only 20 minutes or so to Providencia/Las Condes area. Even in more trafficked hours, 30-35 minutes average.

So do book an apart hotel or hotel in Providencia or the Providencia/Las Condes line as it will be a lot more interesting than the overpriced Holiday Inn across from the terminal.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Eastbay1K gives solid advice.

There is a new Holiday Inn near the airport. If all she wants is an overnight stay, I'd choose that as it is a reasonably long trip into Santiago. She would save time and transport costs. Check this link for other airport hotels.
The Costanera Norte makes the trip into the city about 15 minutes, plus the few blocks off the highway to whatever hotel you may be at. (It used to take upwards of an hour or more at times.)

The Holiday Inn @ SCL is fine, but there is nothing there, except the hotel, and the airport. Same with the Diego de Almargo, except you can't even walk into the airport to pass some time. I have stayed at both. I wouldn't recommend either if there is time to walk around. (My stays were for (1) a trip from South to North of Chile with a later PM arrival, and an early AM departure - prior to the Costanera Norte opening, and (2) a very early AM arrival, and I wanted to take a nap before going to the city - with a 5000 point special @ HI).
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:21 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Try the Buena Vista Apartment hotel good location and you can organise transport with them.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I was just there last week and stayed at the InterContinental in Las Condes basically across the street from the US Embassy.

The neighborhood was great - right around the corner was a big boulevard with restaurants, 2 Starbucks, etc. It was more like Park Avenue.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Thank you all for the helpful advice!^

As Eastbay1k's advice seem so well recommended I will follow that.

The Holiday Inn at the airport looks, but I think she would prefer somewhere where she can at least stretch her legs and districts around airports aren't usually the best place for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.