Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SCL questions, Easter Island on a shoestring

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

SCL questions, Easter Island on a shoestring

I have a EZE - SCL - IPC flight booked, and I'll have about 2 hours in SCL. I've read everything in IPC is expensive, should I buy water and snacks at SCL airport to take to IPC or are things in SCL overpriced given it's an airport. Any shops in SCL that are worth visiting on my way to IPC for food/drink products? Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I doubt purchasing goods at SCL will be that much cheaper than IPC. I found meals on IPC were around $20-$30 (for dinner), so I'd recommend getting some granola bars or snacks in the SCL airport if you're looking to save some cash by minimizing the need for full meals. Enjoy IPC!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Also note that any foodstuffs you may bring into/through Chile @ SCL are going to be highly scrutinized. If you have ANY foodstuffs, answer yes on your customs declaration, even if it is a permitted item.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Foods on IPC is a little bit expensive. I saw Chilean brought fruits and meats to the island. However, you can always buy fresh vegetables and fruits from grocery stores on the island, and they are definitely affordable. We brought some instant noodles, oatmeal and energy bars.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do the locals a favour and give them your money.

I imagine for some of them it's their only source of income.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't remember it being ridiculously expensive. I think there was a lot of that discussion online before I arrived but it wasn't terrible. I also tend to eat fairly simply so maybe I paid more for a meal than I would have for the same meal on the mainland, but it wasn't terrible.

One night I ate at this really great Japanese place - Kotaro. I happened to walk by it and was surprised by a totally themed Japanese building/restaurant. I had some ramen. It was tasty and maybe $15? Probably 2x what it should normally cost but not outrageous.

I remember sodas and chips and the like in the little stores being a bit more expensive but, again, not crazy. Not like $10 for a bottle of coke.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:32 am

I agree, the food was not that much more expensive on the island. We had been led to believe that it was and took the time to buy wine at the airport prior to our departure for IPC. What a waste! It was cheaper on the island and comparable to what we would have spent at a store in Vina Del Mar. I really would not worry about bringing food to the island. You can buy lunchmeat and cheese at one of the small grocery stores and make sandwiches if you want to save money. Maybe bring some baggies from home though to wrap them in. Easy to pack! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.