Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Bank Bombings in Buenos Aires... Gaucho100K, Please Advise!

Old Nov 17, 04, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.

I heard on today's news that there were at least two terrorist-type bombings today of bank buildings in Buenos Aires. Any first-hand information would be appreciated, especially from "Gaucho100K!"
Old Nov 17, 04, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by prspad
I heard on today's news that there were at least two terrorist-type bombings today of bank buildings in Buenos Aires. Any first-hand information would be appreciated, especially from "Gaucho100K!"
What's the difference between a "terrorist-type bombing" and a "terrorist bombing"?

This is not the firsttime Argentine and foreign banks have been targetted in Buenos Aires by violent miscreants. A few fire bombings had happened in the last few years since the de-dollarization and the bank freezes really made people mad there.

Second-hand information is that one person died in one instance and one was injured defusing a bomb. Happened at peak work-time travel hours.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 17, 04 at 6:48 pm
Old Nov 19, 04, 12:17 pm

The bombs wouldn't stop me going to BA. I have seen some barricaded banks in the city center....but nothing like this in Recoleta.

Interior Minister Aníbal Fernández yesterday said that the government has no clues as to who planted three homemade bombs which exploded at ATMs in three banks in Buenos Aires city on Wednesday, one of which killed a security guard.
“There are no concrete clues as to who was responsible,”
http://www.buenosairesherald.com/arg...Content=108545
Old Nov 19, 04, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by USAFAN
The bombs wouldn't stop me going to BA. I have seen some barricaded banks in the city center....but nothing like this in Recoleta.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/arg...Content=108545
This should not stop anyone from going there. I was going to Buenos Aires at the height of the instability after the correlito/de-dollarization and there was no danger. You just went around the manifestations of anger.

Banks in BsAs have been barricaded to some extent or another in the downtown areas for quite some time now. They got sick of having their windows smashed all the time.
Old Dec 18, 04, 10:21 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Originally Posted by prspad
Sorry for the belated reply.

I agree with the above posts in that these isolated events should not keep you from visiting Buenos Aires. Things are looking very quiet for the upcoming holiday season... we look forward to welcoming you to Argentina !!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: