Current travel situation to Chile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current travel situation to Chile

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4
SAG form was online with LATAM a few weeks ago. The customs folks barely bothered to look at the resulting confirmation.

It was paper on our bus ride over Los Libertadores.

Re: Baggage drop - I didn't look too hard for this, admittedly, but I didn't find anything.

On a similar topic - I was not happy with the official taxi folks at the kiosk in between the customs area and the exit. I wanted to pay for a ride to Las Condes with a credit card, and they insisted that the driver accepted cards and that I was not to pay at the desk, despite everyone online saying this was the procedure. Of course, he only took cash - and I didn't have any pesos on me. So I had to drive around with him to find an open Redbanc ATM to pay him (this took quite some time actually - several locations were closed or only open to clients of that bank).
Interesting. I went with the official cab counter as well (shortest line), couldn't pay as well - but i checked with the driver about credit card before starting and that was not an issue.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:38 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by sullim4
I was not happy with the official taxi folks at the kiosk in between the customs area and the exit.
Uber now also allows to opt for taxis when booking a ride in Santiago de Chile.
Xyzzy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by behuman
Uber now also allows to opt for taxis when booking a ride in Santiago de Chile.
yeah good luck with that. that feature did not get me a taxi when I needed one...
Old Oct 8, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by zig666
yeah good luck with that. that feature did not get me a taxi when I needed one...
Just switch back to Uber black then, never had the slightest problem.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
And the SAG form, online or paper?

Also, was there a baggage drop off for domestic connections?
Passed through SCL a few weeks ago on an int'l domestic-domestic connection and, yes, there is a baggage drop off in the international terminal for domestic connections. After going through the customs area, there is a desk to the left; you should pass by it if you take the normal route to exit the terminal. When we went, there appeared to be an automated system where one could scan your domestic boarding pass to self-tag the bag, but it was out of order, so we had to wait a few minutes in the line for the agent on duty at the desk. But overall, very easy process.
Viajero Perpetuo and Xyzzy like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by behuman
Just switch back to Uber black then, never had the slightest problem.
Used Uber to get to/from SCL last week, both times booking just a regular UberX, and interestingly, the first time we were picked up by a taxi (to our surprise, we didn't do anything to specifically request a taxi in the app). I'm guessing that the driver just also had an Uber account, but just illustrates that even when requesting a standard Uber, you may wind up getting a taxi!
Old Oct 17, 2022, 8:01 pm

I'm flying in next week. I was wondering what is easier between getting a cab or Uber at the airport
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:54 pm

UBER the way to go in Santiago de Chile and I do not care about the "legality"

Originally Posted by drakethecake
I'm flying in next week. I was wondering what is easier between getting a cab or Uber at the airport
Even the new international arrivals terminal is full of obnoxious taxi touts and the counters of "transvip" are still present even there is nothing VIP about all this.

Just step out of the terninal, sit on a bench and open your UBER app and choose from a clear dropdown menu the pick up location (very clearly described intl/domestic, level and door number) and a friendly Uber "black" driver will bring you downtown for around CLP 30 000.
Xyzzy, IndyHoosier and 13901 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trying to figure out if there are ANY meaningful Covid travel restrictions left for Chile. US gov't website says you need a vaccination certificate. Is that even true? If so, is it just any Covid vaccine at any time? There seems to be now be no testing requirements, including random tests, and no domestic travel rules.

Any other Covid rules at all (other than in healthcare settlings)?

Is the country as "back to normal" as the USA?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by iahphx
Trying to figure out if there are ANY meaningful Covid travel restrictions left for Chile. US gov't website says you need a vaccination certificate. Is that even true? If so, is it just any Covid vaccine at any time? There seems to be now be no testing requirements, including random tests, and no domestic travel rules.

Any other Covid rules at all (other than in healthcare settlings)?

Is the country as "back to normal" as the USA?
https://www.chile.travel/en/traveltochileplan/
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
OK, so can I assume that's interpreted as meaning that if you had the "original" Covid vaccinations in the USA, you don't need a test?

And that there are no other restrictions?

BTW, glad I wasn't thinking of going to Easter Island. Surprised they're still doing all the crazy stuff. Most of the Pacific Islands seem to have stopped. Even Samoa -- which was effectively closed for 2 1/2 years, has dropped almost all entry requirements.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by iahphx
OK, so can I assume that's interpreted as meaning that if you had the "original" Covid vaccinations in the USA, you don't need a test?

And that there are no other restrictions?

BTW, glad I wasn't thinking of going to Easter Island. Surprised they're still doing all the crazy stuff. Most of the Pacific Islands seem to have stopped. Even Samoa -- which was effectively closed for 2 1/2 years, has dropped almost all entry requirements.
To be completely fair, one cannot compare IPC with pretty much anyplace else. It has the population of your run-of-the-mill modern cruise ship, and less infrastructure than said ship. I would expect that Samoa has more than a single 16 bed hospital.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
To be completely fair, one cannot compare IPC with pretty much anyplace else. It has the population of your run-of-the-mill modern cruise ship, and less infrastructure than said ship. I would expect that Samoa has more than a single 16 bed hospital.
True enough. I've been to Easter Island. But maintaining wholly ineffective Covid rules on Easter Island based on a belief that they will somehow help is going to do nothing but further impoverish its citizens.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:07 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
For those suggesting grabbing an Uber from the airport, how do you have cell service? When I arrived last year I couldn't find a SIM card provider at the airport.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aau
For those suggesting grabbing an Uber from the airport, how do you have cell service? When I arrived last year I couldn't find a SIM card provider at the airport.
Well, many people today have cellular plans that provide some level of international service. For example, T-Mobile provides me 5GB of international data, per month, in like 180+ countries around the world, plus txt'ing. I can't remember the last time I needed a local SIM. Furthermore, many phones today can support a second eSIM which you can set-up prior to arrival.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.