Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Current travel situation to Chile

Current travel situation to Chile

Old Jun 16, 22, 8:52 am
  #301  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; NEXUS
Posts: 692
Thanks all for the data points. Our connection is 2h 38m so it seems feasible.

However, I think something is wrong with LATAM's schedule. We're on the following flights. Obviously that first flight is not 5 minutes long. I had thought it was because of a time zone change, but it looks like Chile switches over to GMT-3 the first week of September. This would in theory mean landing just before noon... which means a very tight, if not illegal connection. Any insights/thoughts on what might be going on?

Departure: September 26, 2022
MDZ10:40 AM
El Plumerillo
Duration5 min.
Arrival
SCL10:45 AM
A. Merino Benitez Intl.
Flight LA437, Airbus A320, Operated by LATAM Airlines Group. Connection Santiago de Chile(Airplane change)
2 hr. 38 min.
Departure
SCL1:23 PM
A. Merino Benitez Intl.
Duration2 hr. 7 min.
Arrival
CJC3:30 PM
El LoaFlight LA152, Airbus A321, Operated by LATAM Airlines Group.
sullim4 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 9:03 am
  #302  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: DEL
Programs: SA, JAL, EK
Posts: 73
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
Thanks all for the data points. Our connection is 2h 38m so it seems feasible.

However, I think something is wrong with LATAM's schedule. We're on the following flights. Obviously that first flight is not 5 minutes long. I had thought it was because of a time zone change, but it looks like Chile switches over to GMT-3 the first week of September. This would in theory mean landing just before noon... which means a very tight, if not illegal connection. Any insights/thoughts on what might be going on?

Departure: September 26, 2022
MDZ10:40 AM
El Plumerillo
Duration5 min.
Arrival
SCL10:45 AM
A. Merino Benitez Intl.
Flight LA437, Airbus A320, Operated by LATAM Airlines Group. Connection Santiago de Chile(Airplane change)
2 hr. 38 min.
Departure
SCL1:23 PM
A. Merino Benitez Intl.
Duration2 hr. 7 min.
Arrival
CJC3:30 PM
El LoaFlight LA152, Airbus A321, Operated by LATAM Airlines Group.
Latam flies several flights a day to CJC so you should rest assured that getting rebooked into the next flight would be straightforward.

The only point to track is that LA 437 has not yet resumed service so I'd follow it on flightaware or some other flight history website to keep watch.
Kumar2013 is online now  
Old Jun 16, 22, 11:01 am
  #303  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Posts: 2,265
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
Thanks all for the data points. Our connection is 2h 38m so it seems feasible.
Chile changes to UTC-3 on 4 September 2022. (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/chile/santiago) Looks like LATAM did not consider this in their schedule - does not surprise me.

On a positive note there are more flights that day to Calama . (https://www.expertflyer.com)

1 Connections

LA 437 0 MDZ
26/09/22 10:40 SCL
26/09/22 10:45 320
Su,M
NA / NA W7 P0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 X7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 G5 A4 E0



LA (**) 152 0 SCL
26/09/22 13:23 CJC
26/09/22 15:30 321
M,T,W,Th,F,Sa
NA / NA W7 P0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 X7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 G5 A4 E0



1 Connections

LA 437 0 MDZ
26/09/22 10:40 SCL
26/09/22 10:45 320
Su,M
NA / NA W4 P0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 X7 S7 N0 Q0 O0 G0 A0 E0



LA (**) 154 0 SCL
26/09/22 17:12 CJC
26/09/22 19:19 321
Su,M,T,W,Th,F
NA / NA W4 P0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 X7 S7 N0 Q0 O0 G0 A0 E0
behuman is online now  
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:44 pm
  #304  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; NEXUS
Posts: 692
Originally Posted by behuman View Post
Chile changes to UTC-3 on 4 September 2022. (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/chile/santiago) Looks like LATAM did not consider this in their schedule - does not surprise me.
Yeah I think the question is whether the departure time is correct, or if the arrival time is. I'll phone them sometime this afternoon although I'm not hopeful I'll get the right answer...
sullim4 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 6:01 pm
  #305  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; NEXUS
Posts: 692
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
Yeah I think the question is whether the departure time is correct, or if the arrival time is. I'll phone them sometime this afternoon although I'm not hopeful I'll get the right answer...
Hah... that was an interesting call. First a debate about time zones, then acknowledgement of the schcedule problem, then "Sorry, there's nothing we can do for you, please call back in one month, someone will probably notice before then and make the schedule change." OK, great.

My hunch is that the quoted times in Mendoza are incorrect, not Santiago. There is a plane (LA 436) coming from SCL at 8:02a, and "arriving" at 10:00 for a 2h flight. That seems wrong - it probably should be 9:00am, and then turning around, departing Mendoza at 9:40am instead of 10:40am.
sullim4 is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 10:08 am
  #306  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; NEXUS
Posts: 692
I saw a post on Tripadvisor - they dropped the mandatory $30k insurance: https://www.diariooficial.interior.g...LDOS_WADxOzvIM

24° Que, en base a la capacidad de la Red Asistencial de Salud, el contexto sanitario y el principio de reciprocidad que aplica en las relaciones internacionales, se ha estimado oportuno prescindir de la obligatoriedad del seguro médico para el ingreso de extranjeros no residentes a nuestro país, sin perjuicio de que siga siendo recomendable portarlo.
g) Elimínase, el título V. “DEL SEGURO MÉDICO”
24° That, based on the capacity of the Health Assistance Network, the health context and the principle of reciprocity that it applies in international relations, it has been deemed appropriate to dispense with the mandatory medical insurance for the entry of non-resident foreigners to our country, without prejudice to the
fact that it is still advisable to carry it
g) Eliminate title V. “MEDICAL INSURANCE”.
Nothing about the random PCR tests. Those still seem to be in force, for now.
sullim4 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:18 pm
  #307  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,204
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
I saw a post on Tripadvisor - they dropped the mandatory $30k insurance: https://www.diariooficial.interior.gob.cl/publicaciones/2022/06/16/43280/01/2145151.pdf?fbclid=


Nothing about the random PCR tests. Those still seem to be in force, for now.

Any confirmation of an effective date that they’re dropping the mandatory $30,000 insurance? Thanks
Flying Machine is online now  
Old Jun 27, 22, 11:50 pm
  #308  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,109
Do you know if you still need to wear a mask onboard flights to Chile and in the airport? Thanks!
13901 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread