Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current travel situation to Chile

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Vamos5589
sullim4 - did you ever get any clarification or go to Chile and test it out?
I asked a tour company we are working with in Chile. They were able to clarify that it is indeed $30k per person. So you'll either need separate travel policies that include $30k of coverage per person, or a single policy that covers everyone with at least $30k x the number of people in your party.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:06 pm

International arrival at SCL - Details

Hello! Just wanted to share my experience for any future travelers arriving at the Santiago, Chile airport (SCL). I arrived on 5/30/2022 and had a pretty smooth experience. We were required to show our travel affidavit (filled out within 48 hours of boarding our flight) and our emergency medical insurance. Me and my spouse arrived together and one of us was selected to take the randomized PCR test (me). I took the test at around 7AM and I received the results the following morning (~24 hrs turnaround time).

Hope this helps a future traveler have more confidence in what will happen at the airport!
flyme2 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:52 am

Question for the UK-based Chile travellers: is Battleface's standard coverage (which goes up to 10m for illness) in line with the Chilean requirement for a health insurance covering Covid?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:21 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Vamos5589
Me and my spouse arrived together and one of us was selected to take the randomized PCR test
Russian roulette makes for an ideal start to any holiday
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by behuman
Russian roulette makes for an ideal start to any holiday
Their country, their rules. At least we know what to expect. Much better than a few months ago, when everyone received a PCR test and was in technical quarantine until results received.
behuman likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Their country, their rules. At least we know what to expect. Much better than a few months ago, when everyone received a PCR test and was in technical quarantine until results received.
Agreed. And I would be very surprised if it sticks around for a lot longer, given the shift we're seeing with covid becoming endemic rather than a pandemic. The one thing I do expect to stick around for Chile is the travel insurance requirement.

The US still has its mandatory pre-arrival test so it's not like Chile is alone here. I think both of those will be ditched in the next few months.
behuman and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:41 am

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Sure, test everybody then, which worked absolutely fine and really protected the country. The randomness sends a problematic signal and gives a strange image of the new government.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
[rumour-according to locals] Rapa Nui will be opening to visitors overseas from July 1st 2022.[/rumour]
well, it seems Mark might have been off by a month.

Rapa Nui: apertura de la isla será el 1 de agosto

El proceso contará con un reforzamiento de las medidas e infraestructura sanitaria, campañas de vacunación intensivas y se completará con iniciativas de apoyo económico y social a los habitantes de la isla, y promoción del turismo.

[...]

El proceso de apertura de fronteras se realizará de manera gradual. En ese sentido, hasta el 1° de agosto se mantendrán el flujo de vuelos -uno a la semana- y el ingreso restringido de pasajeros, pero se establecerán excepciones en relación a la cuarentena obligatoria.

[...]

Luego, a partir del 1° de agosto se permitirá un aumento del flujo de vuelos -que serán dos o tres vuelos semanales, según la situación epidemiológica- y apertura al turismo.
https://www.latercera.com/pulso/noti...KHEC2XZKYIBMM/

two or three flights a week, apparently. Not exactly sure as to whether there'll be any difference for the tourists once there.

EDIT: however, a quick search on LATAM for flights SCL-IPC for the first week of August bore no fruit. So, perhaps a pinch of salt would still be useful.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
I had a smooth experience in and out of Chile in May. On arrival from DFW there was a long queue for about 30 minutes till the health inspection hall where travel insurance and the health affidavit were carefully checked by some very friendly officers. I was selected for a random test which took 5 minutes and was back in queue for immigration within minutes. Outbound immigration was super-quick.

One thing to note is that the Chile Mobility Pass (a vaccine verification app) is used at many places including airports, restaurants, etc. I was asked to show this several times in Santiago and Copiapo and was surprised at the level of verification - for domestic flight a staff member would scan the QR code for each person. Ditto in restaurants and bars.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Kumar2013
I was asked to show this several times in Santiago and Copiapo and was surprised at the level of verification - for domestic flight a staff member would scan the QR code for each person. Ditto in restaurants and bars.
During a trip to northern / central Patagonia in February I was never asked the "paso de movilidad" neither in hotels nor in restaurants or on (long) ferry transfers. Strange. At my favorite Santiago restaurant they just asked me if I have the "paso de movilidad" and did not bother to check it after I stated having it.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by behuman
During a trip to northern / central Patagonia in February I was never asked the "paso de movilidad" neither in hotels nor in restaurants or on (long) ferry transfers. Strange. At my favorite Santiago restaurant they just asked me if I have the "paso de movilidad" and did not bother to check it after I stated having it.
Interesting to know, thanks. At Copiapo airport I was stunned by the lengthy queues for check in - 200 people in one long serpentine line to two check in counters - till I realised that online check in was disabled for everyone and the mobility pass was being verified for each flyer before boarding passes were issued. At Santiago, my mobility pass was checked at two coffee shops, one bar and the popular Fuente Anigua sandwich shop, as well as two super markets, and asked for (but not checked) at two restaurants and also checked before boarding my Turbus from Pajaritos to the airport.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
FYI, the rules specifically say the Pass cannot be demanded for supermarkets, other markets, local public transport - Metro, micro, colectivo, buses (except interregional bus trips more than 200 km).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kumar2013
I had a smooth experience in and out of Chile in May. On arrival from DFW there was a long queue for about 30 minutes till the health inspection hall where travel insurance and the health affidavit were carefully checked by some very friendly officers. I was selected for a random test which took 5 minutes and was back in queue for immigration within minutes. Outbound immigration was super-quick.
What was your total time from getting off the plane to getting through the customs checks?

I have an intl->domestic connection with a 2h 30m connection on LATAM. I arrive in the middle of the day on a flight from MDZ. It is also on a single ticket so it is protected, but I'm curious what the chances are of making it given the current rules, the new terminal, and all the other variables in play.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sullim4
What was your total time from getting off the plane to getting through the customs checks?

I have an intl->domestic connection with a 2h 30m connection on LATAM. I arrive in the middle of the day on a flight from MDZ. It is also on a single ticket so it is protected, but I'm curious what the chances are of making it given the current rules, the new terminal, and all the other variables in play.
I had a mid to late day (6 hours, actually) I-I connection recently, but walked by what was the COVID-processing area, and it was fairly empty - this was the area that we waited the better part of an hour just to get processed (docs checked, prior to getting to the actual COVID test) back in December. After transit security, back upstairs a while later, I could look down on that area, and it was also pretty empty.
sullim4 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by sullim4

I also had a domestic onward flight (also LATAM) though not on the same PNR. The scheduled arrival of my AA flight was 0728 at SCL and LATAM domestic flight was scheduled for 1126.

Looking at my google photos, I find the following:

0728 - Landing at SCL
0750 - At gate
0807 - Out of aircraft
0828 - At health inspection
0834 - Directed to random covid test
0844 - At immigration queue
0905 - At baggage claim
0917 - Finished with checking in to LATAM at the connections desk (just one counter really)
0931 - At Domestic terminal security (it's a long walk across a wide plaza to the domestic terminal)
0950 - Airside at SCL domestic
The LATAM flight finally left at 1139 (I was boarded at 1050)

A total of 2.20 hours - though I was not in a hurry and reckon I could have done this in 1.50 hours had I not stopped to take pictures, admire the scenery or chat with the immigration officer. This was also a very very crowded time of day - morning arrivals - and the flight to SCL was a packed 777-200. By the time I stood in immigration, the health queue was non-existent, I believe the Chilean authorities did an excellent job at sorting out the mass of arrivals relatively quickly.
sullim4 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.