Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Current travel situation to Chile

Current travel situation to Chile

Old Nov 26, 21, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E50, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTraveler View Post
Chile is not very reliant on tourism. Likely a combination of it's geographic isolation and it's expensive compared to all it's neighbors. Chile did open up during 2020 or early 2021 and they had a TERRIBLE surge. To the point that they just shut international passenger flights down for like 60 days and obviously shut down tourists for longer. They are not verifying your vaccination.. there's no way as they don't have the data unless you live in a place that provides a QR code that is verifiable with a third party app. The issue here is apparently you need a mobility pass and that's not issued until you are vaccinated and the Ministry of Health is doing the validation and likely has limited resources (e.g. Staff fluent in English). I'm in the same boat as you, and looked into going elsewhere, like say Argentina which doesn't require vaccine validation. The airfare was double the price to Buenos Aires vs Santiago (flights are leaving early as people are cancelling or rescheduling). So in effect, we are getting a deal on the airfare to account for the uncertainty of whether we can go.
I realize it's more of a niche market, but the ironic part is that many cruises to Antarctica shifted their operations from Argentina to Chile for this year as apparently the Chilean government provided more stability. An example: https://quirkycruise.com/small-ships...ng-antarctica/

Ironically, the travel restrictions are far more realistic to go to Argentina right now, as they are fairly normal - PCR test within 72 hours, fill our pre-travel form with vaccines, but no 14+ day validation. If it was just a flight/hotel, I'd have switched the trip to Argentina by now, but the trip I have booked is a very expensive cruise to Antarctica. Probably why I'm so annoyed by this. I'd checked the requirements in October for Chile and it looked typical with normal tests/verifications within a few days of the flight and no mention of 15-30 day verification of vaccines before travel. In hindsight I should have been checking the rules every week to see if there was new info or timelines, but it didn't look like there was anything with a super long lead time in October.

Travel Chile posted some stories on their Instagram yesterday saying that Chile is open, just mentioning the 72 hour PCR test and form within 48 hours, but no mention of the Mobility Pass. Basically if a traveler read what they posted, you'd think you could book a trip 3 days out and travel to Chile.

My vaccine documents do have a QR code that can be verified (Canada), but I know that's the exception rather than the norm.
Old Nov 26, 21, 9:45 am

FYI,

That Chile.Travel site should not be relied on. Only the original docs from the Chilean government in Spanish can be relied on:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/gobcl-prod/...iembre_V06.pdf

That one says up to 30 days to validate your jabs and I remember the previous doc said the earliest to apply was 45 days before travel.

And again, here is the official December update:
https://saludresponde.minsal.cl/plan...-de-diciembre/

The current chile.travel site says 15-30 days but I see two problems. It says you can wait at the airport for test results. This is against the whole isolate immediately till test result is in rule. Also, I have not seen any official announcement of paying for the PCR test. Not to say it won't happen Dec. 1 but stuff like that is usually announced way ahead of time.

Last edited by Viajero Perpetuo; Nov 26, 21 at 10:31 am Reason: Corrected link.
Old Nov 26, 21, 10:02 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo View Post
And again, here is the official December update:
https://saludresponde.minsal.cl/plan-fronteras-protegidas-1-de-diciembre/.
Still directs to the "old" rules. I found https://immichile.cl/ helpful.

For the latest: https://immichile.cl/se-anuncian-cam...embre-de-2021/

Much worried about my 29 September pass showing valid after 2 month
Old Nov 26, 21, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by behuman View Post
Still directs to the "old" rules. I found https://immichile.cl/ helpful.

For the latest: https://immichile.cl/se-anuncian-cam...embre-de-2021/

Much worried about my 29 September pass showing valid after 2 month
Corrected the link, the immichile.cl post is a direct copy and paste of the official release.

Can you enter the mevacuno.cl site and get to the "Form" link? You can then send them a message asking about it.
Old Nov 26, 21, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo View Post
FYI,
That one says up to 30 days to validate your jabs and I remember the previous doc said the earliest to apply was 45 days before travel.
This is consistent with the Chile Official Travel site which says 15 to 30 days to validate.
Old Nov 26, 21, 3:09 pm

Hi folks, can I ask what people are doing about reservations? Based upon current processing time for vaccine validation, While there is a chance I can fly as scheduled on December 3rd, more likely I will have to fly on December 4th or December 5th. On the face level, if you want to hold out, it means taking COVID tests every day when you get to less than 72 hours to departure until you receive your validation, to insure your test was taken within 72 hours of your last flight in a trip to Chile? My second issue is more of a gripe, but while i was very careful and only booked non-refundable hotel's and Airbnb's as well as refundable premium economy tickets on LATAM. Here's the problem, it seems rental cars are straight sold out in many places (I tried Osorno and Puerto Montt, and everyone is sold out) plus, I booked many of hotels well in advance to take advantage of lower rates and going later means paying higher hotel rates, and living without a rental car.

Finally, just a piece of advice, if you are in my boat and plan to go even if delayed (I have use it or lose it leave) PLEASE double check how much notice you have to give hotels. The days of 6pm on the day of arrival are long gone, most hotels now require at least one day advance notice, and some even two! Finally, don't even think about switching to Argentina if your going in December. You'll pay a arm and a leg on domestic flight (much more than Chile) as well as the ticket to get to/from Buenos Aires. It seems the steepness of immigration restrictions are built into airfares!

Last edited by ArlingtonTraveler; Nov 26, 21 at 3:14 pm
Old Nov 29, 21, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The online form was a bit annoying, but I was able to get through it.

1) I couldn't complete portions on Chrome. I started again on Edge and it was fine.
2) The country pulldown menu is all wonky in English. Estados Unidos de America is in Spanish only, but located approximately where it would be under "U." Easiest to type Estados quickly so you can get to it before it chokes on another country starting with Es or Est.

Website is stating approximately 16 days for processing.
Old Nov 29, 21, 2:58 pm

Hate to post this but there has been a change to the December 1 changes.

The arrival PCR test will continue to be mandatory even with an approved booster and the isolation till negative result will also continue to be the rule.

https://saludresponde.minsal.cl/plan...-de-diciembre/
Old Nov 29, 21, 7:38 pm

Data point. I applied for both my partner and me on the evening of November 19. Since it was after business hours, it was time stamped as November 20, and both of us got approvals on November 29 after checking the status on MeVacuno. However, I can't seem to find my better half's e-mail, although mine came through. We need the number from the confirmation e-mail to complete the Traveler Affidavit, right?

Viajero Perpetuo thanks for the update. I see it's reflected on the Official Chile Travel website too (https://www.chile.travel/en/traveltochileplan}. Anyone know if the PCR tests on arrival are still being completed quickly? In other words, reading the language, I'm not quarantining for 5 days if that's how long it takes to get back a hopefully negative. However, I do not mind quarantining for a day.

Finally, I see from the Official Travel Site, travelers will have to pay for required PCR test come December 1 (I'm arriving December 4), does anyone know the cost and what forms of payment will be accepted.
gcashin likes this.
Old Nov 29, 21, 8:36 pm

Thanks so much for the data point on the turnaround time! That's the quickest I've heard lately, so crossing my fingers that they'll turn my approval around before my trip next week.
Old Nov 30, 21, 8:23 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Finally able to verify my email at MeVacuno over the weekend and submitted my vaccination info online. I have an email from Redcap MDS Me Vacuno stating I have successfully entered my vaccine validation info, but when I click the "request status" button in my MeVacuno account, I receive a message that I don't have a current valid application. Is this normal?
Old Dec 1, 21, 2:07 am

Additional vaccine validation data point:

Submission 11 November
Approval 25 November

Also note Spanish citizens are exempt from the insurance requirement
Old Dec 1, 21, 9:23 am

Received a note today that my vaccine documents were approved after being submitted on Nov 23. About an 8 day turnaround, so looks like they've been making progress at speeding up the review.
Old Dec 2, 21, 10:47 am

Going on hour 7 of no results from PCR test. Got swabbed at 748 am at SCL. Its pretty miserable sitting in a hotel room
Old Dec 2, 21, 11:04 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Travelchase View Post
Going on hour 7 of no results from PCR test. Got swabbed at 748 am at SCL. It’s pretty miserable sitting in a hotel room
Welcome to FT Travelchase , I would be happy being in Santiago . Give them 24 hours and hopefully as an experienced traveler you have booked a room with private terrace. I would even more enjoy dinner at Borago the day after my arrival if I were in your lucky situation.

But be careful in Chile, they are quite strict and from your first post it appears that you are not much comfortable with the rules.

Search this Thread