Wiki Posts
Search

Machu Pichu

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Machu Pichu

Have anyone been to Peru/Machu Michu recently? Are tourists allowed from the US? Are facilities open?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This really belongs in the destination forum, not here.

A propos of nothing, though, this post reminded me of an old Mafalda comic that I always find amusing (posted for Spanish speakers) :

Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Gynob001
Have anyone been to Peru/Machu Michu recently? Are tourists allowed from the US? Are facilities open?

You may find this interesting. Machu Picchu is not open.

And 1 minute on google says https://pe.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
You may find this interesting. Machu Picchu is not open.
https://michaelwtravels.boardingarea...-last-weekend/

They are now.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: RFC
I stand corrected then.

They shouldn't have opened it, IMO, and they definitely shouldn't be allowing Americans into the country. But, their choice to cause themselves a second/third wave.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Thanks, but I am confused. There are meditation and yoga retreats in Cusco that assured me that Machu Pichu is very much open and tourists are arriving. Peru doesn't seem to need a Visa for US citizens and Flights (including Delta) are operating to Lima. a within 72hour Covid PCR test appears too be needed.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Double Check you have Machu Picchu tickets

There seems to be quite some controversy at MP because tour operators are selling more trips than they actually have MP entrance tickets. Machu Picchu ticket sales halted as chaos continues at popular Peru tourist site (thenationalnews.com)

If buying direct be sure to purchase early and if using a guide be sure double and triple check the operator actually has the tickets.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Would like to go to Machu Picchu sometime in 2023.

1. When's the best time to go?
2. What are the transportation to take from Lima and back?
3. How many days should I allot for MP, including acclimatization?
4. I have read that one needs to book for a tour guide to enter MP, is this true?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Section 107
There seems to be quite some controversy at MP because tour operators are selling more trips than they actually have MP entrance tickets. Machu Picchu ticket sales halted as chaos continues at popular Peru tourist site (thenationalnews.com)

If buying direct be sure to purchase early and if using a guide be sure double and triple check the operator actually has the tickets.
We just got back. We did the one-day Inca trail hike from Km 104 to Machu Picchu and visited the citadel the evening which we arrived at Machu Picchu and the next morning with our guide from Alpaca Expeditions. We had no issues whatsoever with permits for the hike or the tickets which they got us for both the train and the citadel.

Originally Posted by boybi
Would like to go to Machu Picchu sometime in 2023.

1. When's the best time to go?
2. What are the transportation to take from Lima and back?
3. How many days should I allot for MP, including acclimatization?
4. I have read that one needs to book for a tour guide to enter MP, is this true?
The rainy season is during the southern hemisphere summer, between November and April. The southern hemisphere winter, the dry season, is the most popular time to visit the citadel. Peruvian get discounts and Cuscanians are admitted free on Sundays, so that's a good day to avoid.

To get to Machu Picchu from Lima, you need to fly to Cusco. From there you can take the train all the way to Aguas Calientes at the base of the citadel. It is much faster to take a bus, a van or a taxi from Cusco to Ollantaytambo and the train from there. The train is the only mode of transportation to get to Aguas Calientes. From Aguas Calientes, there is frequent bus service to Machu Picchu.

We spent two nights at Cusco and one night at Ollantaytambo before hiking from Km 104 to Machu Picchu. I had some issues acclimating to the high altitude in Cusco, 11,100+ feet. However, Ollantaytambo, Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu, while at high elevations, are considerably lower than Cusco. I had no issues at those locations, nor did I have a problem on our last night in Cusco after visiting Machu Picchu.

Tickets to Machu Picchu are valid for half a day, either morning or afternoon. If you get there at 6:00 to 6:30 am (the buses start running at 5:30 am), you will have several hours to explore the citadel, which is plenty. Tickets are sold for four different circuits. The longest one takes approximately three hours. The maximum stay is four hours. There are optional extra cost hikes to Machu Picchu Mountain or Huayna Picchu, which you can do before or after your visit to the citadel.

A guide is required for the first day, however, not for a second day, if you return and have a certificate from your guide. We used the same guide that we had for the Inca Trail hike to Machu Picchu.

Craig6z likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 5:55 pm

Thanks TWA884!

How difficult are the climbs to MP? I will have two 60 year olds going with me, one has a little knee problem.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thanks TWA884!

How difficult are the climbs to MP? I will have two 60 year olds going with me, one has a little knee problem.
Let me just state that I am older than 60 and I hiked the Inca Trail from Km 104 to Machu Picchu. The visit to the citadel the next day was a piece of cake in comparison.

boybi likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 11:30 pm

If we're taking the bus from Aguas Calientes to MP, how long will the walk be from the bus stop to the entrance of the citadel? Will this be a climb?
Old Nov 28, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
If we're taking the bus from Aguas Calientes to MP, how long will the walk be from the bus stop to the entrance of the citadel? Will this be a climb?
IIRC, it's about 50 metres from where the bus drops passengers off - and flat - to the entrance turnstiles. From there it is all walking on relatively gently sloping ramp up into the citadel area itself. Within the citadel walking areas are mostly flat but very uneven and some steps/stairs are taller than usually found in homes or offices. But once inside it is a relatively easy walk - assuming one can walk without much trouble over uneven grass and rocky/stone surfaces - note that there are no handrails or guidelines. Walking sticks or canes WITH RUBBER TIPS are allowed but only when necessary due to age or infirmity - otherwise walking sticks/hiking poles are prohibited, as are umbrellas. You don't qualify what a "little knee problem" means, but for most people the problem walking around is not actually climbing the steps or walking across uneven stone paving - it is simply being in poor physical shape in general let alone trying to walk at altitude.

Other notes: 1) The only public bathroom is just outside the entrance turnstiles - there are NO bathroom facilities once inside so be sure to go before entering! 2) Bring a poncho or packable rain jacket - umbrellas are not permitted.

Best time to enter the first day you are there is in the afternoon, most of the crowds will have left (it is most crowded from 8am-2pm) so you have the best photo opportunities with less crowds and the golden hour of sunlight.
boybi likes this.

Last edited by Section 107; Nov 29, 2022 at 8:09 am Reason: grammar and numbering
Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
IIRC, it's about 50 metres from where the bus drops passengers off - and flat - to the entrance turnstiles. From there it is all walking on relatively gently sloping ramp up into the citadel area itself. Within the citadel walking areas are mostly flat but very uneven and some steps/stairs are taller than usually found in homes or offices. But once inside it is a relatively easy walk - assuming one can walk without much trouble over uneven grass and rocky/stone surfaces - note that there are no handrails or guidelines. Walking sticks or canes WITH RUBBER TIPS are allowed but only when necessary due to age or infirmity - otherwise walking sticks/hiking poles are prohibited, as are umbrellas. You don't qualify what a "little knee problem" means, but for most people the problem walking around is not actually climbing the steps or walking across uneven stone paving - it is simply being in poor physical shape in general let alone trying to walk at altitude.

Other notes: 1) The only public bathroom is just outside the entrance turnstiles - there are NO bathroom facilities once inside so be sure to go before entering! 2) Bring a poncho or packable rain jacket - umbrellas are not permitted.

Best time to enter the first day you are there is in the afternoon, most of the crowds will have left (it is most crowded from 8am-2pm) so you have the best photo opportunities with less crowds and the golden hour of sunlight.
Thanks! This is a great confidence booster for my friend.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It's fairly well-mapped on Google so this might give you a sense of the elevations/distances.

Here's the view of where the buses drop off versus the entrance turnstiles: https://www.google.com/maps/@-13.165...7i13312!8i6656

There's also extensive google detail inside so you can view from ground level and wander through on the computer to get a sense of it.

As Section 107 indicated, it's not a "hike" in the traditional sense of dirt trails with brush, loose rocks, boulders, etc. It's mostly paths and steps. The challenge is that the steps can be somewhat irregular (really steep steps) so you do have to pay attention to where you're going.
boybi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.