FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   One Way to Ecuador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/2024888-one-way-ecuador.html)

RyanJames Sep 11, 2020 6:47 am

One Way to Ecuador

We, two Americans, are moving from Budapest, Hungary to Cuenca, Ecuador with a stop to see family in the US. When we met with our facilitator last years, she told us if we sent her all our paperwork early, she would be able to apply for our initial visa for us. We went to a notary to give her power of attorney. She has now informed us that the rules have changed and they may or may not allow her to do this on our behalf.
I noticed on COPA airline website, there is a warning that a person may need either a return ticket or continuation of travel before they are allowed to check in. Last year, we were doing an around the world trip and some airports wanted our entire itinerary before they allowed us to check in.
We tried the Ecuador Embassy, but there are dozens of comments that they don't answer the phones or respond to emails.
I looked at Jet Blue website, to see about booking a one-way to FL, but it is expensive if there is no refund. They don't offer 24 hour cancellation for international flights.
Suggestions are welcome.

Eastbay1K Sep 11, 2020 10:11 am

While I am not suggesting what you should or shouldn't do, typically the requirements for getting on the plane is proof of onward travel out of the country ... any other country. Whether you'd be violating any other laws, regulations, or whatnot, I won't opine.

SJOGuy Sep 12, 2020 1:42 am

You might just be stuck having to buy the one-way ticket to Florida that you'll never use. The policing of return/onward ticket requirements doesn't take place at immigration when you arrive in the country. It takes place at airport check-in. If the check-in agent doesn't see that you have a way out of Ecuador, you'll never get on the plane there in the first place. In theory, you could buy a one-way ticket to, say, Peru, but then that same check-in agent would ask, how do you plan to leave Peru? With a ticket back to the country of your citizenship, that question won't come up.

Presumably, your goal is to get residency in Ecuador. Once you do that, you should be free from the requirement to have a ticket out of Ecuador..

Enjoy Cuenca. I think it's a wonderful city, so much more manageable than Quito or Guayaquil.

RyanJames Sep 12, 2020 2:39 am

Thank you

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 32668240)
While I am not suggesting what you should or shouldn't do, typically the requirements for getting on the plane is proof of onward travel out of the country ... any other country. Whether you'd be violating any other laws, regulations, or whatnot, I won't opine.

Thank you!

RyanJames Sep 12, 2020 2:43 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 32669731)
You might just be stuck having to buy the one-way ticket to Florida that you'll never use. The policing of return/onward ticket requirements doesn't take place at immigration when you arrive in the country. It takes place at airport check-in. If the check-in agent doesn't see that you have a way out of Ecuador, you'll never get on the plane there in the first place. In theory, you could buy a one-way ticket to, say, Peru, but then that same check-in agent would ask, how do you plan to leave Peru? With a ticket back to the country of your citizenship, that question won't come up.

Presumably, your goal is to get residency in Ecuador. Once you do that, you should be free from the requirement to have a ticket out of Ecuador..

Enjoy Cuenca. I think it's a wonderful city, so much more manageable than Quito or Guayaquil.

I think you are correct so we will get a one-way on Jet Blue or some other back to FL. Maybe we will use it or maybe won't. but it is the safer bet.
Yes, we have two condos in Cuenca and love it. After 19 years in Budapest, we are ready for the change. Thank you for answering.

coolcoil Sep 16, 2020 10:13 am

It will be a lot easier if you just buy round trip tickets and not use the return. This way, there will not even be a question at check in. If you buy a separate one-way ticket the check-in agent will have to go through the process of manually documenting this in their reservation system. It's not a huge deal, but why create unnecessary hassle?

Jaimito Cartero Sep 16, 2020 10:28 am

Also consider using frequent flyer miles for a one way ticket. This can often be a lot cheaper, plus may allow you to change or cancel the flight, with less fiscal repercussions.