Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Georgetown & Paramaribo?

Old Dec 16, 19, 7:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Have been intrigued by Guyana and Suriname for a while, so just booked an exploratory trip to stop first in G-Town, then go overland (and water) to Parbo before continuing to Europe on the KLM flight. Any suggestions on where to stay, eat, things to see/do? Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:29 am

I would be interested in Georgetown/Guyana tips as well. I'll be spending a week there. :-)
Old Feb 20, 20, 7:29 am

Or maybe just some warnings about what *not* to do in Guyana? :-)
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:14 pm

It's been a while but the Torarica group is typically the best. The riverside resort hotel is quite nice. Indonesian food and some of the colonial historic sites are well worth a visit (in and near town). Nothing you wouldn't be able to find online.

I strongly recommend a visit to an inland eco resort - e.g. Menimi. You can use the river boats. AT least two or three nights. Swim with and eat piranhas (I did) and lots of wildlife plus interesting history of small towns along the river founded often by runaway slaves. It's world class nature tourism very unlike other parts of South America. Suriname is also well known as a birder paradise. It would be foolish to go and not see it.

Parbo has very good nightlife - especially during xmas and summer when many people come back from Holland for the holidays. In general, it is quite safe and very friendly.
sokolov likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 2:06 am

Thank you. I only have 6 full days for Georgetown/Guyana, so I'm afraid I won't make it to Suriname.
Old Jun 23, 20, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
Having visited both countries, if I had only six days I would skip Guyana and spend all the time in Suriname.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: