Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Buzios: Joao Fernades Beach snorkeling

Old Oct 18, 19, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

I've read that snorkeling is good/easy here. We'll be in port for a day and that's what we'd like to do. Haven't found any info as to whether it will be easy to get a taxi to/from there. I read there's a water taxi but I'm not sure my husband's seasickness would tolerate that (he can handle a cruise ship because they have good stabilizers!). Would appreciate any advice.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:37 pm

We hired a taxi with the help of volunteers from the town. He took us to the beach early in the morning we ordered food for lunch time and therefore got two free chairs and umbrella. It was beautiful but I would not call it great snorkeling and we have snorkeled all over the world.
If you do plan this you have to swim out toward the rocks.
Spent a lovely morning the taxi came back for us at 12 then gave us a drive around as he wanted to show off his home and dropped us off at pier/ town. We then walked up and down in lovely shops, and an amazing gelato shop.
Old Oct 30, 19, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

LillianJ, thanks for your reply though disappointed to hear that the snorkeling wasn't so great. However, it's probably the only port where we'll try it, as my husband gets seasick on the small boats/catamarans that take people to the "really good" snorkeling spots. We're both fans of gelato (who isn't!) so we'll drown any sorrows that way.
Old Oct 31, 19, 10:16 am

Yes we new going on our cruise that snorkelling is not a strong draw in the areas we went. We did try in Paraty and enjoyed the day out but not great snorkel.
The gelato place is on the left of the pier facing the town.
Enjoy
Old Oct 31, 19, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Lillian, by any chance were you on the Oceania cruise from Rio to Buenos Aires? If you stopped in Porto Belo or Rio Grande, did you find anything to see/do?
Thanks for specifying where to find the gelato place!
Old Nov 2, 19, 7:04 am

No we travelled on Azamara from BA round trip with New Year’s Eve in Rio, we did not stop at that port.
Old Nov 2, 19, 7:06 am

All in all we love our day on the Fernandez beach, the fish we had must have been caught an hour before we ate it that is how fresh it was.

Search this Thread