FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   Colombia with family question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/1982209-colombia-family-question.html)

TravelDoorsOut Aug 8, 2019 8:47 pm

Colombia with family question

Hey all,

I’m starting to brain storm ideas for our next trip, and was thinking about Colombia. We will have 7-8 days, and were hopping to go in October. I have a few questions:
  1. What would that time frame be enough for? Was thinking Cartagena and Medellin... opinions?
  2. Any problem going in end of October since it is the rainy season?
  3. Any safety or logistic concerns going with wife and a 2 year old?
  4. Lastly, we’d love to do Cartagena, another city (few days each or whatever you recommend), and do a few days at an all inclusive or some kind of a nice resort with warm water. Any recommendation as to the region or itinerary?
Thanks in advance! FT has build most of my trips that were excellent!

SK AAR Aug 11, 2019 11:26 am

1: I was in Medellin and Cartagena last month. I loved Medellin. For me Cartagena was too humid and very touristy, at lot of hassle from street vendors etc - but very nice old city center.
2: No idea
3: No safety concerns. In Medellin there are areas in city center where you should not be walking at night (around the Cathedral and Parque Bolivar). El Poblado and Laureles are perfectly fine/safe.
4: 7-8 days are too much in Cartagena. 2-3 days are enough. I would recommend Santa Marta for great beaches and less tourists - it is a 4-5 hour bus ride or arrange private transfer.

milka2010 Aug 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Medellin has the perfect weather. Not too hot and not humid. If you need some information about Medellin, please let me know.

realworld Aug 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by milka2010 (Post 31404800)
Medellin has the perfect weather. Not too hot and not humid. If you need some information about Medellin, please let me know.

Not the OP, but curious of the easiest way to get from Bogata to Medellin? Is flying really the best choice?

milka2010 Aug 17, 2019 4:28 am

Originally Posted by realworld (Post 31425277)
Not the OP, but curious of the easiest way to get from Bogata to Medellin? Is flying really the best choice?

You can take also a bus, but it takes over 10 hours. Nice views, first going down from nearly 3.000 m to 500 m than up again to 2.500 m and finally in Medellin 1.500 m.

SK AAR Aug 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Sure if you have time, the bus is an easy way to get to Medellin - and you will get the taste of local life as all others on the bus will be Colombiano.

I think 10 hours is optimistic - more like 12-15 hours I hear - admittedly I have never taken the bus so I might be wrong.

coolcoil Aug 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by realworld (Post 31425277)

I live near Medellin. I could see taking the bus if you wanted the experience, but that is the only reason. Flights are really cheap. I highly recommend Viva, but Avianca and LATAM are fine too. Driving to Bogota from here is 8-10 hours by private car. Of course a bus will be longer.

realworld Aug 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil (Post 31437794)
I live near Medellin. I could see taking the bus if you wanted the experience, but that is the only reason. Flights are really cheap. I highly recommend Viva, but Avianca and LATAM are fine too. Driving to Bogota from here is 8-10 hours by private car. Of course a bus will be longer.

Thanks, sounds like a flight is the way to go. While the experience of a bus ride sounds interesting, wouldn't logistically work for the planned trip.

yuel Aug 30, 2019 9:07 am

delete

yuel Aug 30, 2019 9:14 am

I am wanting to go to Columbia in april with my family including 1.5 and 4 yr old,
thinking about 1 and half days in bog, 3 days in Cartagena and 3 days in san andres, is 1.5 days enough in Bog with 2 young kids or should I stay longer, everything is flexible right now