Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Galapagos Big boat or little boat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Galapagos Big boat or little boat

Trying to plan a trip to the Galapagos and wondered if we should take a catamaran or do a regular cruise line. I do suffer from sea sickness but I'm hoping meds will help. The catamaran we're thinking of taking is The Archipell ll. This will be in January so it should be a little less rough. Any advise is welcome.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
My family was on this boat for a week in 2016 with Overseas Adventure Travel (we have always been more than satisfied with the arrangements made by OAT).

It is nice, very comfortable, nothing fancy. The crew was excellent, the food fantastic - never ate so much, so well and still lost a few pounds! Of course, the crew may be quite different and rotates every few weeks.

Given the choice between the smaller boats vs the bigger 100-person boats in Galapagos - I prefer the smaller ones. They can go a few places the bigger ones can't, it's more intimate with your cruise-mates but more than plenty of room to have your privacy/own space/alone time. The bigger boats tend to have "nicer" amenities but also cost more. Ultimately, which you choose depends on what your priorities are and the value proposition you favor. On our trip to Galapagos we chose to put our money into doing more stuff and not into the boat portion; we did not at all suffer from not being on the QEII....
breakinggood likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, I agree I will go small.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Advantage
Good morning,
I searched your trip with Overseas Adventure Travel (www.oattravel.com) but the only Galapagos trip listed is a 15 day Amazon and Galapagos trip. Did I go to the incorrect website? Any further info on your catamaran trip would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Bridget
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by bbmar
Good morning,
I searched your trip with Overseas Adventure Travel (www.oattravel.com) but the only Galapagos trip listed is a 15 day Amazon and Galapagos trip. Did I go to the incorrect website? Any further info on your catamaran trip would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Bridget
Ours was the 2-week Machu Picchu and Galapagos trip. I do not know if OAT offers a Galapagos portion only - you could call and ask. But if not, there are many companies offering Galapagos trips; it might take a little research.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.