Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

bogota + another city in Colombia suggestion

Old Apr 3, 19, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue

I am having 3 days ( actually 3 nights with 2 full days for sightseeing )in Colombia before and after my trip to Peru as I got very good
business class fare to Bogota.
Where would you suggest me to go beside Bogota?
Cartagena, Medellin, anything else or to stay in Bogota on both ends and include some bus or car trips around, or to stay in Lima longer ( I do have 2 full days there )
Thank you
Old Apr 4, 19, 12:16 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
It is not exactly clear from your post what your itinerary is. I am assumuing it is the following:
  1. Fly into Bogota and spend 3 nights in Colombia
  2. Fly to Peru and spend X number of days/night sightseeing in Peru, including 2 full days in Lima
  3. Fly back to Bogota and spend 3 nights in Colombia before retunring home
If you already have two full days in Lima, I wouldn't spend any more time there. 3 nights and 2 full days in Bogota is about enough. I spent 6 full days in Columbia last may. 3 full days each in Bogota and Cartagena. To me, the two cities were very different. I really loved the very Spanish colonial but Caribbean feel of Cartagena. I wish I could have stayed longer. I love historical stuff, including museums. So I stayed in the La Candelaria area of Bogota. To me, the Gold Museum (Museo del Oro) was definitely the highlight of Bogota.
Old Apr 4, 19, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue
Thank you sooge,
You got my travel plans right, I am sorry if I wasn’t clear enough, as trying to be as short as possible.
I think I’ll book a flight to Cartagena immediatly after arriving to Bogota and spend first 3 nights there before flying to Lima. And on the return from Cuzco I am going to stay for 3 nights in Bogota.
Old Apr 5, 19, 6:34 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LH Senator ** (ex SR TC G), Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Airhaiku View Post
Thank you sooge,
You got my travel plans right, I am sorry if I wasn’t clear enough, as trying to be as short as possible.
I think I’ll book a flight to Cartagena immediatly after arriving to Bogota and spend first 3 nights there before flying to Lima. And on the return from Cuzco I am going to stay for 3 nights in Bogota.
3 nights in Bogotá will be exciting. This city is my positive surprise of 2019 so far. Try to stay in one of the small boutique hotels in Candelaria and enjoy the unique very open plan museum precinct with the Botero museum at its center. The city is also home to some outstanding restaurants among them the eclectic one of Leo Espinosa.
Try your stamina by walking up Monserrate, it is strenuous given the altitude but the view is fantastic and you can use the funicular to go down.

El Dorado airport is the best I experiences so far in South America, but in South America I always avoid same day connections before an important long haul flight. BTW: Avianca does not offer Diamond lounge access to its C passengers anymore, you will be herded to their *G lounge.
Old Apr 5, 19, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Cartagena is charming and historic but can get really hot for much of the year. Medellin has an excellent climate and attractions like the National Museum and the sky-bucket (teleferico) ride to Parque Arvi and a really bustling nightlife on weekends, plus some excursions like the coffee country.

I like Lima but can also see where those who aren't as much into the collectible treasure hunts near downtown or the food scene (or pisco) all over the city would give it less time, I always stay in Miraflores, which is on a scenic stretch of the coast vaguely reminiscent of Malibu. The coastal suburbs are much wealthier than the city as a whole, but are well patrolled and have lots of the food choices. The chain of parks at the top of the cliffs can make for great walking and people-watching. There are also some pretty good open-air double-decker bus tours out of Parque Kennedy.
Old Apr 8, 19, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by behuman View Post
3 nights in Bogotá will be exciting. This city is my positive surprise of 2019 so far. Try to stay in one of the small boutique hotels in Candelaria and enjoy the unique very open plan museum precinct with the Botero museum at its center. The city is also home to some outstanding restaurants among them the eclectic one of Leo Espinosa.
Try your stamina by walking up Monserrate, it is strenuous given the altitude but the view is fantastic and you can use the funicular to go down.

El Dorado airport is the best I experiences so far in South America, but in South America I always avoid same day connections before an important long haul flight. BTW: Avianca does not offer Diamond lounge access to its C passengers anymore, you will be herded to their *G lounge.
And will be dangeous
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:38 am

In February this year I flew from Guayaquil Ecuador to Bogota with a connection to Cartagena. This meant transferring from the international terminal to the domestic terminal. It was quite the worst airport experience of my life - a total nightmare so unless you have several hours in which to make the transfer I would urge people to stay the night in Bogota. We only made it by walking to the front of the vast queue at passport control and pleading with an official that we had a connection in two hours. She allowed us to jump the queue. They still took over 15 minutes to check our passports and basically interrogate us.

Cartagena is great - we stayed three nights at the Sofitel Legend Santa Clara in a suite located on the gorgeous third floor cloister.
Old May 2, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA "fools Gold" (aka PresPlus).
Originally Posted by myfriendoo View Post
And will be dangeous
In my experience with Botoga, the most dangerous part was that I'd eat so much amazing food my pants wouldn't button at the end of the trip.
behuman likes this.
Old May 7, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Spend a day in Bogota, and 2 days in Medellin. Cartagena is worth for a day (+ whatever beach time you want), but Medellin is nicer weather-wise and sightseeing-wise, plus people are much friendlier than in either Cartagena or Bogotá.
Old Jun 11, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
I have a somewhat similar question: Spending 16 nights in Colombia next month (holiday). Arriving BOG on AV from GRU (after arriving GRU from Europe the previous morning). I have never been to Columbia before, so I'm a bit uncertain on how many nights to spend at each place. I booked BOG-MDE already (super cheap AV fare) departing after 4 nights at BOG, so the first 4 days/nights in BOG (I booked a hotel in Chapinero) and then to Medellin. How many nights would you recommend in Medellin? I'm arriving on a Tuesday and consider staying until Sunday, i.e. 5 nights, to enjoy the nightlife during the weekend there (I expect nightlife in Medellin to be more exciting than e.g. Cartagena). I'm considering flying to Cartagena but no plane ticket purchased yet as I'm uncertain how many days to spend in Medellin. Then considering spending the last 6 days/night in Cartagena but is it too many days/nights there?; in the affirmative any other place to vist before returning to BOG? (expect to come back to BOG on Saturday and go clubbing in BOG Saturday night before my GRU flight Sunday evening)

Any thoughts/comments? Maybe I should add that I like taking my time when on holiday. I would hate a very busy schedule and spending a lot time traveling around in Columbia from one city to the other, so 3-4 cities/areas would work well for me.