Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Connection time in Quito (UIO)

Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

We are US citizens arriving in Quito on an International flight from Buenos Aires via Lima. Is 1.5 hours enough time to connect to a domestic flight on a separate ticket? Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
What day and time of day are you arriving?

I have had a few passages through the new Quito airport (although not for a connecting flight), and transiting passport control and baggage each time was pretty quick, less than 30 minutes. The airport is not that big in size or in volume - it ranks in the range of say, PIT or CVG/CMH. So 90 minutes should be more than enough.

However, its geographic location can make for some difficult landing conditions. One of our flights made 4 separate attempts before diverting to Guayaquil for about 90 minutes until wind conditions subsided and then we landed at UIO.

So if that connection is super important you might want to give yourself much more time in case one of your flights are delayed or some other irrop happens.
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. We are scheduled to arrive at 14:29-we haven't been thru UIO since the airport moved The connecting flight departure time was moved up after I made the reservation.The first ticket is an awards ticket and the connection to Cuenca is a separate paid ticket. What time of day was your wind event?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:38 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
We are US citizens arriving in Quito on an International flight from Buenos Aires via Lima. Is 1.5 hours enough time to connect to a domestic flight on a separate ticket? Thanks
Part of my receipt for happiness when traveling to South America is to plane for the worst and experience the best:-). I avoid same day connections, but would risk this one if the Cuenca leg has no penalties for no show and can be easily rebooked. This said an Uber into the city is cheap and an overnight stay pleasant (especially as you seem retired))
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
Thanks for your input. We are scheduled to arrive at 14:29-we haven't been thru UIO since the airport moved The connecting flight departure time was moved up after I made the reservation.The first ticket is an awards ticket and the connection to Cuenca is a separate paid ticket. What time of day was your wind event?
I dont recall the specific time, but I know we had started cocktails so it was definitely after 11am and I remember being quite hungry by the time we left the airport so it was before 4pm. This was in May.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I went ahead and re-booked with a 4h, 58m Layover @UIO (Quito, Ecuador) as I could not get them to "protect" the flight in case the incoming flight is late. If we get there in time I might beg to be put on the earlier flight. To me the long layover is better than stressing. ** had another schedule change and now my layover is 4h, 22m so I am pretty sure I would have missed my connection.

Last edited by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:13 pm Reason: had another schedule change
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:39 am

sounds prudent....
Quito is a really pretty city with lots to see. If you can stay over a day, why not?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Section 107
sounds prudent....
Quito is a really pretty city with lots to see. If you can stay over a day, why not?
Thanks for your input, we have been to Quito a few times and we did enjoy our stays there. We are spending 10 nights in Cuenca visiting friends we met when we were considering retiring there.Then back to Argentina for 3 Months.This retired life is rough!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:17 am

one day I will get to live like that....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.