FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   Customs routine flying Argentina - Chile (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/1959402-customs-routine-flying-argentina-chile.html)

jrb CO Mar 4, 2019 10:53 pm

Customs routine flying Argentina - Chile

Planning a future trip to SA. I plan to fly to Mendoza likely through EZE. I realize that I will clear customs in EZE before flying on to Mendoza.

Several days later, I plan to fly out of Mendoza through SCL to southern Chile. What should I expect as a US citizen as I fly from Mendoza through SCL. I assume I will have to clear customs there as well before heading to southern Chile. Is it the same process as if I arrived directly from the US?

What would the protocol be if I flew initially into SCL and then on to Mendoza? Would I clear customs in SCL and then again in Mendoza? And then again when traveling back through SCL to southern Chile later in the week?

Sorry if I am making this confusing, just trying to determine logistics.

Viajero Perpetuo Mar 5, 2019 6:51 am

Originally Posted by jrb CO (Post 30849086)
I assume I will have to clear customs there as well before heading to southern Chile. Is it the same process as if I arrived directly from the US?

Sí y Sí.

What would the protocol be if I flew initially into SCL and then on to Mendoza? Would I clear customs in SCL and then again in Mendoza? And then again when traveling back through SCL to southern Chile later in the week?

TO MDZ: If your bags are checked through, then you can stay in transit and not have to clear Chile immigration and customs. If you have to retrieve your bags at SCL, then yes you will have to clear Chile Immigration and Customs.
FROM MDZ: All incoming international flights to SCL have to enter Chile at SCL for immigration and customs purposes.

Eastbay1K Mar 5, 2019 4:50 pm

Planning a future trip to SA. I plan to fly to Mendoza likely through EZE. I realize that I will clear customs in EZE before flying on to Mendoza.

Several days later, I plan to fly out of Mendoza through SCL to southern Chile. What should I expect as a US citizen as I fly from Mendoza through SCL. I assume I will have to clear customs there as well before heading to southern Chile. Is it the same process as if I arrived directly from the US?

Sorry if I am making this confusing, just trying to determine logistics.

You're much better off flying via SCL to and from MDZ. Not only is the flight much much shorter, but almost all BUE/MDZ service is via AEP, so you may have a cross-city transit, as opposed to a quick transit security @ SCL (unless you're on separate tix).

Note that entering Chile (definitely on the return, and on the outbound if separate tickets) will result in serious fines for not disclosing food and agricultural products, no matter how harmless they may seem to you. The cute little doggies that will greet your luggage will make sure you didn't forget to disclose anything.