Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Uruguay this winter

Uruguay this winter

Old Oct 28, 18, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Uruguay this winter

Hi - booked a trip to Uruguay for after Thanksgiving and was wondering how the situation in Argentina is affecting prices and availablility across the river. Just snagged a 4-star hotel in Montevideo for $67 per night all in - that seems pretty cheap, but it‘s been a couple of years since I‘ve been so I don‘t remember exactly what I paid before.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a cool place to go for some R&R outside the city? I‘ve been to Colonia before and found it beautiful but a bit dead, so I‘m not sure I need to go again. Not a huge beach person, plus I‘ll be there before the temporada starts and everything will be dead (did Rocha beach towns my last time, and it was beautiful but basically nothing was open.)

That said, Piriápolis looks somewhat interesting for a couple of days, and it should be big enough for me to find something to do, no? Are there any towns in the interior that would be fun for a couple of days? Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 18, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA (for now); LATAM; Marriott Gold
Hi there! I visit Uruguay about once a year. I don't think that Argentina is having any effect. As you know, the high season is very short so you're likely taking advantage of low prices during the shoulder season. If Punta del Este, Jose Ignacio, and Cabo Polonio are checked off your list, give the hot springs a try, or maybe look for a Guacho festival or ranch to visit.
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:57 pm

Piriapolis is only good for a few hours. Most things will be dead. As suggested, a B&B or ranch with horseback riding would be good. The Uruguay tourist website has a list I think.
Old Oct 31, 18, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks TeamCarryOn and erik123 for the suggestions. I'll be going alone, which makes things a bit difficult, as so many places outside Montevideo are tiny and likely to be incredibly boring (like, in my experience, Colonia!) Are any of the interior cities interesting in terms of architecture or food/wine, good base for hiking, anything? Treinta y Tres?
Old Nov 1, 18, 3:20 pm

If you are not a beach person you are in the wrong place. How long are you there for? If only a short while stick to MVD. If longer consider a weekend in Punta if the weather is good. It will all be very quiet.
Old Nov 2, 18, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Not the wrong place at all - I love Uruguay! I'm there for a week. I'm thinking 3-4 days in MVD to go running, go to Feria Tristán Narvaja and wander around eating empanadas and chivitos, run the Rambla and otherwise just chill out. But I'd like to mix it up a bit and do a bit more exploring.

I like the idea of visiting a couple of wineries as well and doing some tastings. Maybe that's what I'll focus my attention on.
Old Nov 8, 18, 3:09 pm

Also check the rough guide (e-guide) for Uruguay - some good suggestions. + this site:
Home - Lares
Old Nov 9, 18, 3:19 pm

The situation in Argentina does not affect Uruguay, my friend is living there and told me there's nothing to worry about
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by marilau6 View Post
The situation in Argentina does not affect Uruguay, my friend is living there and told me there's nothing to worry about
You are rigth most of the time what happen in Argentina does not affect Uruguay.
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marilau6 View Post
I didn't think there would be anything to worry about - rather that, with Argentina's economic woes, porteños might be less likely to come over and thus there might be discounts to be had.

Thanks, erik123, for the link - I'll check it out!
Old Dec 3, 18, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up now that I'm back from Uruguay: the crisis in Argentina has definitely had an impact! I was in Colonia for a few days last week, and the town was largely dead (granted, that was partly due to the cancellation of ferries from BA as a result of the G20). I got a lovely room for $70/night right by the historic district, and one of the guys at the hotel said the problems in Argentina "are killing us" (his words.) My first night there, there were only two other rooms occupied -- for a total of 3 out of 12 or 13. I think the normal price for my room would have been $100+, easily.

A lot of the restaurants were also trying to drum up business with signs out front promising to accept Argentinean currency at par with Uruguayan pesos (although the lighthouse demanded 55 ARS for a ticket to climb to the top, as compared to 30 UYU!). Even at peak dinner hours, nothing seemed crowded.

Last edited by M60_to_LGA; Dec 3, 18 at 1:48 pm