Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Car rental VAT refund in Chile

Old Aug 26, 18, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum

I understand that foreigners who are not residents in Chile are exempt from VAT if they pay by foreign currency or foreign credit cards. Does that also apply to rental cars? What is the procedure for claiming the refund? Thanks in advance/
Old Aug 26, 18, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by UKdiver View Post
I understand that foreigners who are not residents in Chile are exempt from VAT if they pay by foreign currency or foreign credit cards. Does that also apply to rental cars? What is the procedure for claiming the refund? Thanks in advance/
Exemption only applies to lodging establishments.

More specifically, only lodging establishments who have registered with the tax authority to offer it. Which means many smaller establishments can't offer it and even if registered, don't have to offer it if they don't want to. The rule is anyone in Chile as a tourist that has been in Chile 59 days or less (normal tourists are usually stamped in for 90 days) is eligible if they pay in USD CASH or FOREIGN CREDIT CARD. Taking a photocopy of your passport ID page and entry stamp is normal and required for tax record keeping purposes when one is taking advantage of this exemption.
Old Aug 26, 18, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Thanks
Old Aug 28, 18, 7:44 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I was there last year and last month and my luck at actually getting a tax refund was NIL. No one was part of it or looked confused. Didn't even bother the second trip.
Old Sep 26, 18, 7:44 pm

Was there in April and as Viajero Perpetuo said, VAT exemption is just for lodging. However, renting a car was surprisingly cheap there. I rented two cars in two cities, both for 4 days. One was from Avis (it was the only option available when I landed...) and the other a small local company (also the only option available to me). Both were ~$75 total, so don't worry too much about the VAT, etc.

Search this Thread