Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Caracas - $35USD OR $50 CAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Plat Amex, Marriott Gold Elite
JW Marriott Caracas - $35USD OR $50 CAD

Breakfast is included. Fully understand the political situation right now, but tempting.

https://express.trivago.com/1710/en_CA/hotel/show?h[hotelId]=102728&h[roomOccupancies][0][numberOfAdults]=2&h[roomOccupancies][0][numberOfChildren]=0&h[timeRange][start]=05.10.2018&h[timeRange][end]=13.10.2018&subpartnerId=726&supplierHotelId=23392 7&i2pid=91591354&parentPartnerId=1710&bucketId=28& cid=3a7e4bd9-0851-45f5-95af-c45070ed3f4b&tid=2BRinBSNBXG407V7zm8RDT3UEs&price= 50.00&priceMax=208.00&pos=1&currency=CAD

Would appreciate intel from recent experiences in Caracas or at this hotel that members have had.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:59 pm

Do you have any need to be in Caracas? Is it tempting to you because of the rate?

(Link is busted, BTW)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Do you have any need to be in Caracas? Is it tempting to you because of the rate?

(Link is busted, BTW)
No, but I have wanted to visit for many years. The rate is secondary. Would appreciate your advice.

Sorry about the link. It is good if you copy and paste the full string.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:12 pm

Sure thing. Highly recommend you to read this thread.

Lots of good tips from someone that visited (and I assisted) in the last couple months.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Sure thing. Highly recommend you to read this thread.

Lots of good tips from someone that visited (and I assisted) in the last couple months.
Thanks thousand traveller. Do you know what the impact might be of the currency devaluation that occured over the weekend? It seems to me like the black market rate is now the gov rate. Will this make money exchange easier on the ground ?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by jaimevoyager
Breakfast is included. Fully understand the political situation right now, but tempting.

https://express.trivago.com/1710/en_CA/hotel/show?h[hotelId]=102728&h[roomOccupancies][0][numberOfAdults]=2&h[roomOccupancies][0][numberOfChildren]=0&h[timeRange][start]=05.10.2018&h[timeRange][end]=13.10.2018&subpartnerId=726&supplierHotelId=23392 7&i2pid=91591354&parentPartnerId=1710&bucketId=28& cid=3a7e4bd9-0851-45f5-95af-c45070ed3f4b&tid=2BRinBSNBXG407V7zm8RDT3UEs&price= 50.00&priceMax=208.00&pos=1&currency=CAD

Would appreciate intel from recent experiences in Caracas or at this hotel that members have had.
You’re nuts for considering a trip to Caracas based on a “good deal” for a night at a JW Marriott Hotel. I don’t know anyone who travels there on a regular basis anymore, and for those that still make ad-hoc trips (generally Venezuelans who have emigrated), they refuse to go without security.

Speaking personally, we travel all over the world for work. Two years ago I had the opportunity to go to Venezuela - the security situation had already detoriated to a point where I wouldn’t go and couldn’t find anyone else other than our local Venezuelan office who would do the work. The situation has gotten dramatically worse since that time.

Again, you’re crazy. I hope that one day things get better there - I’d like to travel to Venezuela myself. However, in the meantime, I hope you reconsider this trip.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by troyb

You’re nuts for considering a trip to Caracas based on a “good deal” for a night at a JW Marriott Hotel. I don’t know anyone who travels there on a regular basis anymore, and for those that still make ad-hoc trips (generally Venezuelans who have emigrated), they refuse to go without security.

Speaking personally, we travel all over the world for work. Two years ago I had the opportunity to go to Venezuela - the security situation had already detoriated to a point where I wouldn’t go and couldn’t find anyone else other than our local Venezuelan office who would do the work. The situation has gotten dramatically worse since that time.

Again, you’re crazy. I hope that one day things get better there - I’d like to travel to Venezuela myself. However, in the meantime, I hope you reconsider this trip.
I appreciate your honest advice. Having studied economics in university, I am intrigued to see hyperinflation first hand, but will likely forego.

Important context to add to this conversation: I am not going there "just for a cheap hotel room". I have been paying close attention to the situation in Venezuela for over a decade now, and forwent going there 2 years ago based on the advice that the "government would fall any minute" (it did not). I am fluent in Spanish. I traveled next door to Colombia 5 times last year and met a lot of Venezuelans on the ground there. They tell me the situation is bad, but also grossly exaggerated by the media (and perhaps also the CIA propaganda machine).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:45 am

Grossly exaggerated? CIA propaganda machine? GTFO, please.

Definitely read that link I gave you for all the tips. You won't be able to exchange much money legally and after the announcements the black market rate is already up 50% anyways.

You can go and have a good time. You'll basically live in the hotel, take a taxi anywhere you want to go and have that same taxi pick you up later. (Hotel taxis are 2-3 times more expensive but it'll be pennies anyway)

You'll need a debit card from a local to pay for stuff or you could certainly use your own cards. If you do the latter you won't be getting the most bang for your buck.
RafKa likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Grossly exaggerated? CIA propaganda machine? GTFO, please.

Definitely read that link I gave you for all the tips. You won't be able to exchange much money legally and after the announcements the black market rate is already up 50% anyways.

You can go and have a good time. You'll basically live in the hotel, take a taxi anywhere you want to go and have that same taxi pick you up later. (Hotel taxis are 2-3 times more expensive but it'll be pennies anyway)

You'll need a debit card from a local to pay for stuff or you could certainly use your own cards. If you do the latter you won't be getting the most bang for your buck.
Thank you. I am cancelling based on your advice. I look forward to visiting Caracas, espera en dios, soon.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaimevoyager
Thank you. I am cancelling based on your advice. I look forward to visiting Caracas, espera en dios, soon.
and now this...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/strong-...ital-1.4062404
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Sigh... I regret not going to Venezuela back in early 2000's when I had a chance to. I figured I'd get back there sooner or later... and now it just seems later and later. Now I'm older and more risk averse (I suppose settling down and having a family will do that to you) the sense of adventure has been tempered.

No telling how long it will be before the country stabilizes and gets back to a more tourist safe/friendly environment.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

While this thread was started to discuss a discounted hotel rate, it has evolved into a topic more appropriate for the South America forum. Please see here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/

Thank you,

MileageAddict
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:23 pm

It's so good that you want to visit Caracas, you'll like the city even though the situation of the country
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
You can find cheaper hotels in Caracas than the one you mentioned @jaimevoyager. As far as terms of safety and things to do, I consider it a tourist's paradise - Venezuela is a great place.

I was there in June 2018, and I just booked another trip for December 2018. Beautiful place and a hidden treasure (if you have dollars).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.