Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

"Resident Fare" - Updated info requested

Old Jun 26, 18, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I'm flying within Colombia as a non-resident (US citizen), and noticing the difference in fares for Colombians vs foreigners. I've read previous flyertalk forums (and others) about how in Colombia it works completely fine to book a "Colombian ticket" (often half the price) as long as the airline's site accepts the US credit card. I'm wondering if there is any updated information out there anyone is willing to share. Specifically:

- At any point in the process (if I book a Colombian ticket) will my proof of residency/citizenship be checked?
- Are there are specific rules against buying a ticket from the Colombian version of the website, as a US citizen?
- Any updated experiences on whether US (or other foreign) credit cards will work through airlines such as LATAM or Avianca? In particular, are there any restrictions on using a US/foreign card to by a "Colombian/national" ticket?
- What about other country experiences - does this process change country by country? For example, I've been reading that buying "national/resident tickets" is more difficult in Argentina & Peru.

Thanks in advance everyone
Old Jun 27, 18, 8:42 am
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Hi FrankMorris

This has really been done to death on this site but you'd be forgiven for not digging out the info

Argentina and Perú (probably Ecuador too) have tickets with RESIDENCY restrictions. You will be penalised if you buy a cheap ticket and try to fly it as a non-resdident.

Colombia and Chile have tickets with POINT OF SALE restrictions. If you can buy them then you are good to fly them.
Old Jun 27, 18, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Hey JohnnyColombia - Thanks for your reply, and apologies if this is a duplicate post. I spent about 2 hours last night reviewing info that I found, but it seemed to change fairly frequently, with an article in November indicating that LATAM may have changed their policy in favor of non-residents being able to buy the lowest fare tickets as well. I was mainly asking if anyone had any recent updates, so thanks for weighing in with the most recent info.
Old Jun 27, 18, 11:35 am

No need to apologise FrankMorris, such is the nature of forums. The info is probably there but it's a pain to find it
HeavenlyJane likes this.
Old Jun 28, 18, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Here in Argentina 've never heard of anyone being penalised for flying on a resident fare for which they didn't qualify. To be honest I suspect very few short stay holidaymakers will have taken the chance due to the warning and information you have to give when booking one....especially DNI number which is your ID here. I know I wouldn't want to turn up at an airport not knowing whether I will be allowed to travel or not.
Anyway....I suspect the resident fare will disappear altogether as the domestic low cost airline business becomes more popular.
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Much appreciated JohnnyColombia. Thanks again for the advice.
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Very much hoping the low-cost carries have an impact on Latin American flight prices.
Old Jun 30, 18, 8:12 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
Argentina and Perú (probably Ecuador too) have tickets with RESIDENCY restrictions.
Actually that changed for Perú. In Dec 2017 LATAM stopped charging the resident prices, and in February 2018, also did Avianca. Those were the only 2 Peruvian airlines that had a different price based on your residency status. It changed bc most local airlines –unlike LA and AV, which are international holdings– did not charge it and they had started winning a larger quota of the tourist share.

So buy off whatever you want, they won't try to asses a fine for being a foreigner.

Sources: LATAM, Avianca
Old Jun 30, 18, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by MfromL View Post
Actually that changed for Perú. In Dec 2017 LATAM stopped charging the resident prices, and in February 2018, also did Avianca. Those were the only 2 Peruvian airlines that had a different price based on your residency status. It changed bc most local airlines –unlike LA and AV, which are international holdings– did not charge it and they had started winning a larger quota of the tourist share.

So buy off whatever you want, they won't try to asses a fine for being a foreigner.

Sources: LATAM, Avianca
Cheers for the info.
Old Sep 17, 18, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
Hi FrankMorris

This has really been done to death on this site but you'd be forgiven for not digging out the info

Argentina and Perú (probably Ecuador too) have tickets with RESIDENCY restrictions. You will be penalised if you buy a cheap ticket and try to fly it as a non-resdident.

Colombia and Chile have tickets with POINT OF SALE restrictions. If you can buy them then you are good to fly them.
I found despergar ticketing but what about the RUT?
Old Sep 18, 18, 5:35 am

Programs: AA-PLT
Originally Posted by FrankMorris View Post
Very much hoping the low-cost carries have an impact on Latin American flight prices.
For what it' worth, when we traveled MDE-CTG this Summer both LATAM and AV had fares that were competitive with Viva Colombia, though maybe 3-4% higher. These were the promo prices not shown on the US website. Same restrictions on luggage, seat selection, etc. LA offered the competitive pricing non-stop, while AV only offered it for BOG connections. The AV non-stop price was 2X LA and VIVA.

My experience buying the "promo" fares, the ones you cannot see on US websites, is this:

AV - no problem at all. Though I am a resident, no proof of residency has ever required. I pay with my US credit card, use my US passport for ID with the airline and never have needed to show my cedula.
LA - Same as AV, but the website would not accept my USA credit card. I had to drive to the airport to pay.
Old Sep 25, 18, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Sciamano View Post
I found despergar ticketing but what about the RUT?
RUT is a Colombian tax ID like a UK National insurance number or a Spanish NIE. Just put in your passport number
Old Oct 8, 18, 10:55 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM, UA, AA
Recent tripadvisor posts say that that cheap LAN domestic fares are point of sale, not residency based. In other words, if a foreigner can buy one, he is good to go. People can use Google Flights and click thru on a "residents' only" link to book a ticket. I have easily verified this. Haven't yet tried purchasing yet, but I will soon.

The tripadvisor thread says the purchase fails on entering credit card payment. The way to get around this is leave the DNS/Passport field blanks and/or use incognito mode on your browser. I'll report later if this works.
Old Oct 11, 18, 12:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM, UA, AA
As follow-up, I was easily able to book a domestic rt SCL-PMC trip on LAN's Chilean website with no trouble. Nothing identifies the booking as "residents-only".
Also no need for tricks like incognito mode or leaving the passport field blank. I just put in my USA info to book.

Google Flights warning that the link to the cheap fare is "residents-only" is not true.
Noracon likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 4:58 pm

Managed to book latam peru last year with a cheap local point of sale fare but this year, for ecuador, to Galapagos, I realised that I can't. Any advice on whether the resident fare is stric2enforced?

Search this Thread